318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Personal bios and Introductions (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Mostly new to cars and a new 318ti owner. (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=44675)

bumbo 07-11-2019 09:28 PM

Mostly new to cars and a new 318ti owner.

Hi,

I am generally a new car owner, I've had my license for years but never cared much for driving. I've owned a 1995 Nissan Pathfinder that was passed down to me, but it had a bad front end so I sold it and picked up a 1999 Toyota Camry because I just needed a vehicle. I've always wanted a small hatchback and managed to stumble upon a lone 318ti on Craigslist. That of course led me to this forum and after reading many of your posts and builds I was convinced. I had to have the car despite it needing some work and so I bought it to the sum of $2300 CAD ($1700 USD).

I love the appearance of these little 318ti's and after buying it, I drove it home with a smile on my face; the first time I've enjoyed driving. However since then it has been parked. I wanted to take care of it and fix up all of its issues. The previous owner had never done the cooling system and the valve cover gasket also had a leak. So far I've replaced the valve cover gasket and spark plugs, all of the blown strut supports, fixed one of the windows and replaced the cracked windshield cowls. Now I've nearly replaced the entire cooling system, except the radiator. I've done all of this with very little prior car repair experience and mostly on my own using all of the helpful information on this website.

Thank you all for the helpful information that has definitely assisted in sprouting my interest in cars, but really I mostly care only care for the 318Ti :tongue:. I will definitely be asking for some help soon!

anassa 07-12-2019 07:13 AM

Welcome! You have a great story so far! Thank you for sharing and like the common forum meme: "This thread is worthless without pictures"! When you have a chance post some pictures and share the progress!

Seems like you have gotten a good start with working on your 318ti yourself, my 318ti gave me a lot of firsts too :wink: hahahah - anyways -first for replacing brakes myself, cooling system like you, suspension etc etc.

You have yourself a fun platform to start with cars, one that can also grow a long ways with you. Good luck!

joe1602 07-12-2019 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anassa (Post 390811)
Welcome! You have a great story so far! Thank you for sharing and like the common forum meme: "This thread is worthless without pictures"! When you have a chance post some pictures and share the progress!

Seems like you have gotten a good start with working on your 318ti yourself, my 318ti gave me a lot of firsts too :wink: hahahah - anyways -first for replacing brakes myself, cooling system like you, suspension etc etc.

You have yourself a fun platform to start with cars, one that can also grow a long ways with you. Good luck!

+1 on "This thread is worthless without pictures"! Welcome & look forward to seeing it. Where in Canada are you located?

bumbo 07-12-2019 06:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by anassa (Post 390811)

The bmw hasn't been my first for car repairs, but definitely the first for anything major. I have a lot of plans for this car already with some pieces of it already in my position. After the cooling system I need to pickup a new front bumper because the previous owner presumably hit a parking block or something and now its sagging and cracked. The only real rust spot on the vehicle is on the bottom of one fender because the car was sitting for a while so I need to get one of those as well. Besides that it's just one more window, the headliner, a new audio system, maybe a manual swap, and at some point I might get it resprayed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe1602 (Post 390814)
+1 on "This thread is worthless without pictures"! Welcome & look forward to seeing it. Where in Canada are you located?

I'm currently located in Northern Vancouver Island, but I might end up in the US a few years down the road. I don't have many before pictures but I can tell you it wasn't pretty and most of the ones I do have are the engine bay ripped apart. I will attach a few I do have.

Also ironically I've run into my first major issue that I need some assistance with. I was filling and bleeding the cooling system last night and I had a bad leak from the expansion tank that I fixed, or so I thought. After running through the bleeding process for a good five minutes it began leaking again so I shut the car off and the leak stopped, so I started the car again after checking if it was seated completely and it was. It was maybe two minutes into the car running I heard a sound that was between a snap and a pop coming from what seemed like the rear of the engine bay, passenger side. I immediately shut the car off and let it sit for a while before trying to start it up again. Now it won't start. No crank, no turn-over, I don't hear the starter clicking, nothing.

I have no idea where to start troubleshooting but I did the stomp test and the only error code that flashes is 1286 - knock control test pulse. Also during the bleeding process the needle was steady in the middle of the coolant gauge and I've pulled apart the upper intake and checked visually for any loose wires, I couldn't find anything. I haven't checked the starter wires yet.

I figure this would be the place to ask before I give in and tow it to a mechanic, it's the last on my to-do list mechanically and I just want to get it on the road.

paul somlo 07-16-2019 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bumbo (Post 390819)
It was maybe two minutes into the car running I heard a sound that was between a snap and a pop coming from what seemed like the rear of the engine bay, passenger side. I immediately shut the car off and let it sit for a while before trying to start it up again. Now it won't start. No crank, no turn-over, I don't hear the starter clicking, nothing.

I figure this would be the place to ask before I give in and tow it to a mechanic, it's the last on my to-do list mechanically and I just want to get it on the road.

That's where the battery is located, and that's where I would start looking. Take it to a mechanic, and that $1700 318ti will soon become a $3400 318ti.

thenjnick 08-01-2019 12:06 AM

Welcome to the forum man, very similar story here. Ever since I got my hands on this car its never failed to interest me in every way. Theres a ton of really good diy info on here and a couple of other forums. Id start checking out your fuses and relay for the starter. Did you smell any burned up plastic after you shut it down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bumbo 09-15-2019 04:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It took me a while between being in the hospital for a few days and then the US for a couple weeks over the summer but I didn't abandon the car.

My dad ended up calling a friend over to help test the electrical and everything was fine except for the starter. I took apart the upper and lower intake after trying to get at it from underneath without success and left for the states before I could get it all back together. I came back and my dad installed the starter for me while I was away and replaced the rusty star bolts with allen key ones so it's easier to remove.

I finished reassembly without any issues and bled the system today and took it for a short ride and everything seems to be working well. I'm going to do one last small bleed tomorrow to get any remaining air bubbles.

The next step is getting the windshield replaced and then mounting some new tires I snagged for a great deal. After that I have a replacement bumper sitting and waiting to be painted and will need to source a fender to replace the one with a rust pocket. Finally I have to fix the falling headliner and install the amp, sub and speakers I picked up.

This car ended up being a lot more than I thought it was, but I certainly learned a lot and will certainly keep learning more with everything I have to do still. It definitely wasn't the brightest choice financially to buy such a rough car but I truly enjoy it, both repairing and driving.

Thanks to this forum and all contributors for existing, I wouldn't have been able to handle this without all of your posts, whether you're still around or not. :biggrin: