318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   lowering caps? (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5346)

needle332rur 04-27-2005 11:30 PM

lowering caps?

I remember seeing lowering caps for the front of a e36 for sale but i can't remember were i saw them. Does anyone know were to find front lowering caps that lower the front 1/4 inch or so?

weezer 05-30-2005 04:43 PM

I found two (2) sites, one with more than 1inch and the other just enough to make it ook better.

http://tuningzubehor.com/?pg=product...&cso=0&grp=105

http://www.bekkers.com/Merchant2/mer...=blssuspension

AlaskaBlue 05-30-2005 04:57 PM

What exactly are lowering caps? I have never heard of them.

cali-ti 05-30-2005 05:37 PM

looks like it just changes the spring seat location to lower the vehicle a little bit without changing springs.

weezer 05-30-2005 06:49 PM

Only the fronts, though. No such as thing as rear spring seats as they have their own housing/perches. So, make sure y

weezer 05-30-2005 06:50 PM

Only the fronts, though. No such as thing as rear spring seats as they have their own housing/perches. So, make sure you know what the outcome will be. Lowered front not the rears......like drag racing.

L84THSKY 05-30-2005 08:28 PM

Holy ****!!!!!

That is just the ticket. Is it a simple swap? Does it mess up your camber?

Quote:

Originally Posted by weezer
Only the fronts, though. No such as thing as rear spring seats as they have their own housing/perches. So, make sure you know what the outcome will be. Lowered front not the rears......like drag racing.

cali-ti 05-30-2005 09:01 PM

i would think this would have some potential issues. since you're lowering by adding length to the spring seat/perch without changing anything else, the effect on the strut will be the same as lowering springs (less travel before bottoming out). i'm not sure, are the stock springs progressive? even if they are, they might not reach the point in the spring where they'd be at a higher rate to resist the compression before potentially hitting the bump stop on the strut.

the change in camber will still occur because it's still a change in the suspension geometry (only thing i know of that avoids that is a "drop spindle"). that said, it's not much of a drop. not sure how much the camber would change or how many more times you'd bottom out on the bump stops.

L84THSKY 05-31-2005 12:53 AM

Yo Eric

So the results are not confirmed. Anyone have these things installed?

You sure are dumping some serious cash in that car, and with 208K miles, I think you must be testing fate :blink:

Quote:

Originally Posted by cali-ti
i would think this would have some potential issues. since you're lowering by adding length to the spring seat/perch without changing anything else, the effect on the strut will be the same as lowering springs (less travel before bottoming out). i'm not sure, are the stock springs progressive? even if they are, they might not reach the point in the spring where they'd be at a higher rate to resist the compression before potentially hitting the bump stop on the strut.

the change in camber will still occur because it's still a change in the suspension geometry (only thing i know of that avoids that is a "drop spindle"). that said, it's not much of a drop. not sure how much the camber would change or how many more times you'd bottom out on the bump stops.

cali-ti 05-31-2005 02:30 AM

psssshhhh ... it'll go another 200k with no problem :) i'll even show ya ... i'll do it on the stock clutch ;)

L84THSKY 06-01-2005 04:30 PM

I'm trying to visualize where these caps mount. Do they mount on the underside of the strut well, or on top where my strut brace connects to?

Quote:

Originally Posted by cali-ti

weezer 06-01-2005 04:44 PM

They go right on top of the springs underneath the front strut caps. They are literally top spring seats.

L84THSKY 06-01-2005 04:58 PM

So I must raise the car, remove the three nuts and then I can drop the caps that are there? Is this complicated?

Quote:

They go right on top of the springs underneath the front strut caps. They are literally top spring seats.

weezer 06-01-2005 05:01 PM

Do you have spring compressors? You need to make sure that the springs don't hurt you when you open the caps?

L84THSKY 06-01-2005 05:48 PM

This is exactly what I was wondering. It involves removing the strut assembly and compressing the springs. It's almost like putting in new springs and struts. I was considering buy a spring compressor to lower the car, but shyed away from the whole lowering thing. Maybe I can borrow one, and put these caps in. The caps are only $59.00, but how much hassle to put them in is the issue for me.

Quote:

Do you have spring compressors? You need to make sure that the springs don't hurt you when you open the caps?