318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Misc (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Hard start on cold, sometimes even turn off (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=28509)

318ti_IL 11-02-2009 07:18 AM

Hard start on cold, sometimes even turn off

97 318TI, intake hose is new

On cold weather starts but hardly and sometimes even turns off itself so you have to hold gas pedal for second or two to keep the car running. When this happen sometimes car shake bad but on warm starts and works perfect. Did search forum but didn't find anything really useful. Any idea? Thanks for reply in advance.

Bluebimma 11-02-2009 01:44 PM

Probably your coolant temp sensor.

318ti_IL 11-03-2009 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluebimma (Post 249723)
Probably your coolant temp sensor.

I went to dealer to buy it and they say "there is 3-4 on the car, which one do you need and where is located"?

I'm wrong or that's the one on radiator passenger side, because as far i know that's only one for coolant - rest of them are for temperature of air, inside - outside etc?

Bluebimma 11-04-2009 01:45 AM

No, you need the one in the head. They shouldve been able to tell you that just by explaining your situation. The one in the head tells the DME how hot or cold the engine is, so it sets the proper ignition and fuel tables for engine start up.

318ti_IL 11-05-2009 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluebimma (Post 249894)
They shouldve been able to tell you that just by explaining your situation.

They don't want to. they want me to bring the car in so they can tested and charge me $130 just to tel me which one is it. Does anyone have picture so i can see where in head is located and how does look like?

Just remembered and wanted to add, when this happen check engine light come ON and code reads multiple cylinders misfires. Car have 84k miles

Also found this and hope i wont replace so many things as this guy
http://en.allexperts.com/q/BMW-Repai...i-starting.htm

Thanks for help Bluebimma

CirrusSR22 11-05-2009 04:14 PM

If the coolant temp sensor is indeed the problem, the one on the head can be see here. Right below the cylinder #1 intake port. Check out my cooling system rebuild thread and it's shown in a ton of pictures: http://318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18066 I think you may be able to get at it without taking anything apart. That's just going by the pictures though, I'd have to check my car in person to be sure.

I guess this could be a vacuum leak as well.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ling/work9.jpg

318ti_IL 11-05-2009 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CirrusSR22 (Post 250042)

I guess this could be a vacuum leak as well.

Where to start if I looking for vacuum leaks?

Bluebimma 11-05-2009 11:00 PM

When i work on m44s and m42s, i replace the vacuum system as a whole, it costs about 10$ from autozone. Just get the sizes down, then buy a couple feet of each as well as a new T-fitting if you have an M44 post 1996 with the fuel pressure regulator on the underside of the car. Were there any other codes in the CEL? Maybe a crank or cam position sensor?

CirrusSR22 11-06-2009 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 318ti_IL (Post 250057)
Where to start if I looking for vacuum leaks?

I posted some info about replacing vacuum hoses at the bottom of my cooling system thread. You already replaced the main boot which seems to be #1 for leaks. #2 appears to be the injector hose "tree" that I changed out. I've heard it from many people here that theirs was cracked.

I replaced all my vacuum stuff because of a cold start issue last winter. The colder outside it got, the harder it was to start my car. It took extra time to crank and when it started it ran really rough. Once it started it took some throttle to keep the idle smooth. After about 1 minute it smoothed out totally and all warm starts are perfect. I think at one point I did get a CEL on a really bad/cold day. I the CEL went away on it's own and I never checked what it said. I figured it was a misfire since it was runniong so poorly at the time.

It hasn't gotten cold enough to see if this even fixed my problem, so we'll see.

95white318ti 02-06-2011 10:14 PM

as ive been reading, im noticing that cold rough starts are extremely common along with misfiring. usually stemming from cps, air sensor, temp sensor on head, coil pack. anyways, it seems that no one ever finishes there threads with a conclusion. so did replacing the temp sensor fix it? or any other sensors?

318ti_IL 02-09-2011 03:07 PM

So far replaced both o2 sensors, temp sensor & crank sensor. Only thing thats left is ignition coil (will wait to warm up). With first snow car has starting acting crazy, ABS lights pop up, check engine does that all the time and even traction stop working and triangle light for it showed up. Will try ignition coil next month if that does not fix my issue then trade in... I only feel bad because car have only about 84K miles.

BTW when car start first time you are good to go for rest of the day, and sometimes needs a battery jump when cold even if battery in the car is brand new (replace 3 so far thinking is battery)

95white318ti 02-09-2011 05:45 PM

Wow. That sucks. It seems like it is just a guessing game with these cars when it comes to these issues. Old or new, similiar crappy problems. Do you think abs and traction are related somehow? I know the abs sensors get damaged pretty easily from rust and what not. Would the traction problem have anything to do with the transmission? Lmk if the coil pack fixes the problem.

95white318ti 02-09-2011 10:50 PM

John, you can do what ever youde like. As far as I'm concerned, it's none of your business. If you're really that nosey that do some research. Haha. I'm so funny. Good luck.;-)

mampakiki 04-14-2013 10:51 AM

Hi,
I was wondering if you ever got your issue resolved?
I recently purchased a 98 318ti that is very difficult to start. Seems to act like the timing chain is bad.

318ti_IL 04-14-2013 04:44 PM

Ignition coil pack fixed starting issue (changing wires and plugs itself didn't help, so I end up replacing wires, plugs and coil) but I got tired of problems and traded car. One more ting, for some reason it work better with NGK plugs then Bosch. Hope this will help you.