318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   eBay and Craig's list listings (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   1995 318ti blown head gasket $500 (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30388)

Altitude 04-28-2010 08:10 AM

1995 318ti blown head gasket $500

1995 BMW 318ti with blown head gasket in Colorado Springs for $500.
No affiliation with seller.

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/1691928864.html

What is up with all these blown head gaskets I see on these cars, I sure seem to see a lot
of blown head gaskets on the M42, M44 engine, is that a weak spot on these cars?

THAT318 04-28-2010 08:54 AM

im seeing blown head gaskets everywhere in general of the 5 cars sitting in my dads shop now 3 are blown h/g and the retards insisted on driving on them so all three need new radiators and 2 have warped heads..

bamaland 04-29-2010 09:08 PM

the reason is simple.. people dont take care of **** now days!!
majority of the work i do is head gaskets because people would call me and ask me for a quote to fix a bad radiator and or water pump and when they come they completely ignore my advice and drive it to me!! which 9/10 i end up having to tow it back to my garage and change a head gasket and whatever else the original problem was..

i'll tell you one thing.. i hate HATE water pumps embedded with the timing.. (exception for civics)

sorry for the rantish post lol.

hell, that car isn't in any better shape body wise as mine is that i just bought and i only paid $150 more and mines running perfectly!

gozcu7 04-30-2010 01:23 AM

prob the weakest spot in theese cars is the head gasket

PrimeTimeSlime 05-02-2010 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bamaland (Post 269187)
the reason is simple.. people dont take care of **** now days!!
majority of the work i do is head gaskets because people would call me and ask me for a quote to fix a bad radiator and or water pump and when they come they completely ignore my advice and drive it to me!! which 9/10 i end up having to tow it back to my garage and change a head gasket and whatever else the original problem was..

i'll tell you one thing.. i hate HATE water pumps embedded with the timing.. (exception for civics)

sorry for the rantish post lol.

hell, that car isn't in any better shape body wise as mine is that i just bought and i only paid $150 more and mines running perfectly!

How often do you see cracked heads when they come in w/ head gasket problems?

bamaland 05-02-2010 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrimeTimeSlime (Post 269540)
How often do you see cracked heads when they come in w/ head gasket problems?

about 80-90% of the time they have cracked heads and/or blocks

the other 10-20% of the people who bring them in are fine because they are somewhat car smart and shut it off at the first sign of any overheating (say the temp needle starts shooting up or is starting to run above normal.)

but the majority of people will try to go as far as they can before shutting off the car, or be too cheap to have it towed into the shop and drive it there themselves!

when people like that come in i basically tell them a rough cost for possible head replacement , reason why, and future advice.

xxxJohnBoyxxx 05-03-2010 12:07 AM

My opinion these motors are solid both the M42 and M44.

Both have a aluminum head and when you over heat an aluminum head it expands at a much higher rate then the cast iron block and cause big issues it's metallurgy at work here. The head gasket goes or cracks the head at extream cases.

I never over heat my stuff and never have issues with head gaskets and cracked heads and I boost these motors on stock castings and stock gaskets.

Now I run a BWM stock gasket for a diesel application up to 20psi never over heated but beat it very bad with no issues.

I've run 173K on a boosted stock motor M44 with no issues ever, but never ovr heated it.

Always take care of the cooling system on a BMW M42/M44 motor with aluminum heads and you won't have issues with head gaskets or cracked heads. You will burn exhaust valves if you have a lean condition but not a cracked head or head gasket issue, they are 99% of the time related to a over-heat issue.

Just my 2 cents...These motors are almost bullet proof, very well built, but prone to head damage if over haeted. Keep them cool boys and girls.

JohnBoy

JunpoweR 05-03-2010 12:25 AM

Same for all cars, people do not know how to keep their overflow filled, I seen a few brand new cars with blown heads and cracked block.