318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Exterior (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Standard H1 Bulb Or ...... (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6682)

Tyler 08-17-2005 05:19 PM

Standard H1 Bulb Or ......

What is Brighter a standard H1 bulb or Sylvania Silverstar H1 Bulb? I bought the Silverstar for my new foglights,the thing is i have blue lamin-x on them so i'm wondering if i should put in the standard h1 bulb to see if it projects more. If i didn't have the blue lamin-x i'm thinking the silverstars would be better.

What r your suggestions?

Juni 08-17-2005 07:32 PM

I would say the Sylvania Silverstar. Thats what I have on my low, and high beams, and my fogs just to have the matching set. Not only was there a color improvement......but they definetly emit more light that other bulbs.

m-technik_ti 08-17-2005 10:20 PM

Yah, Silverstars have a marginally higher lumens output as opposed to standard h-1 bulbs...i think they are rated around 20% higher lumens output when compared to regular h-1.

HigH RevZ 01-12-2007 08:06 AM

Are the PIAA HID wanabes any good in brightness or light blue tint that might look HID

tastade 01-12-2007 02:59 PM

Most of the increased light is probably just due to the color change, the whiter light appears to illuminate better even if it doesn't really. They can only get so much light out of a given type of light at the same power.

I would just go cheap. I couldn't tell a difference between the cheapest fog light and the more expensive one my brother put on. I think the cheaper one was about 1/4th as much. I would rather save the $30 or $40.

I also found that the bright slyvania lights my brother used burned out faster than the cheap bulbs, making them even more expensive than the price difference would indcate. I think they only last about half as long. It is probably that slight bit more light they are emitting.

There is nothing wrong with the more expensive lights, it is just that there are other things I would rather spend my money on. If you like them, by all means buy them, because they do change the light. The only real way to get more light is to upgrade to Xenon HID lights or up your power (illegal).

96cali 01-12-2007 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tastade (Post 102581)
I also found that the bright slyvania lights my brother used burned out faster than the cheap bulbs, making them even more expensive than the price difference would indcate. I think they only last about half as long. It is probably that slight bit more light they are emitting.

Having just gone thru and researched this last week for H7 bulbs for our Passat I can comment here. The Silverstars (at the stock spec wattage) will be slightly brighter and are worth it for low beams. Be sure to get the OSRAM brand and not Sylvania. Even though OSRAM owns Sylvania the concensus is that German made OSRAM bulbs last much longer than Sylvania. They also offer a Cool Blue design which tints the light to be bluer but is still legal because it's the same wattage. Looks good but any film or tint reduces the amount of light. To be brighter AND bluer/whiter you must up the wattage which then puts your lenses, bulbs and electronics at risk of failure sooner. That said, I was very surprised to pull out the bulbs from the Passat to find they are 100W Cool Blue and despite being way higher than the OEM spec 55W the lenses look great and the bulbs lasted 3 years at least. The value of matching high beams and fogs is strictly cosmetic and personal IMO.

If I have to do it over again I will put 100W Cool Blues back in the Passat and OSRAM Silverstars all around in the bimmer. The OEM light output in the Passat was downright scary and I have good vision.

pnosker 01-12-2007 09:16 PM

They don't make these for the H1 socket, but for HB3 and HB4, Toshiba HIR bulbs (9011 and 9012 sizes) are incredibly bright, according to my meter, approx 65% brighter than my old Sylvania halogens.

tol4o 01-12-2007 09:18 PM

All those are old technologies. Buy 6000k HID it's worth believe me. The best investment on my car. The light is the same like the day light, so different than the regular bulbs

oakley 01-13-2007 03:43 PM

With the 6000k does it still give off the blue-ish light?? I like the tint my current bulbs give off but they just aint bright enough!!

StealthBimmer 01-13-2007 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oakley (Post 102711)
With the 6000k does it still give off the blue-ish light?? I like the tint my current bulbs give off but they just aint bright enough!!

Yes it has a slight blue tint to it but it depends on the brand of HID you buy. Not all HID company is the same. If you want more blue then go with 7K or 8K HID. :wink:

tol4o 01-13-2007 06:24 PM

6000k is exaclty like daylight. If you want to go blue go higher like 8000k or even 10000k but the brightness would be less. I heard that Mercedes and BMW put stock 4300k HID on their cars. 6000k is the best combination between color and brightness

L84THSKY 01-13-2007 06:31 PM

I'm still debating whether I wanna go through the hassle and expense of doing that. Putting in the headlights was a pain, and now removing them, opening the lenses and rewiring just seems more effort than it's worth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by StealthBimmer (Post 102720)
Yes it has a slight blue tint to it but it depends on the brand of HID you guy. Not all HID company is the same. If you want more blue then go with 7K or 8K HID. :wink:

tol4o 01-13-2007 06:34 PM

Yeah is not that easy but you can do it for about 2 hours. The thing is that the CCFL angel eyes are junk and they stop working short time after you install them

L84THSKY 01-13-2007 06:37 PM

I bought and installed these Depos. The angel eyes work perfectly, and overall, they look fine.

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/7...geleyeshl7.jpg

I've since went to clear corners with silver bulbs

Quote:

Originally Posted by tol4o (Post 102727)
Yeah is not that easy but you can do it for about 2 hours. The thing is that the CCFL angel eyes are junk and they stop working short time after you install them

tol4o 01-13-2007 06:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Your angel eyes look different than mine. This picture is from the time they were still working good