318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   New York - New Jersey - Connecticut (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   recommendations for repair/restoration in NJ (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=45057)

happysloth 07-13-2021 04:48 AM

recommendations for repair/restoration in NJ

My '98 318ti has a major issue with oil leaking into the crankcase and is no longer driveable. I've taken great care of the car and I don't think it's quite ready for the junkpile just yet, though it's just over 200k. Does anyone have any mechanic/garage recommendations in north N.J. that might be good?

e302ti 07-14-2021 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by happysloth (Post 392737)
My '98 318ti has a major issue with oil leaking into the crankcase and is no longer driveable.

Any more details? I thought oil in the crankcase was a good thing lol. They normally leak from oil filter housing or valve cover gasket 1st....then the oil pan with more miles. Oil pan dran plug can leak as well with out good crush washer. Front and rear main seals normally last a while but with 200k, anything is possible

happysloth 07-15-2021 12:07 AM

I meant oil is leaking *from* the crankcase...so oil is leaking into the spark plugs causing one of the pistons to not fire which means it can only be driven very short distances. Just wondering if anyone has a repair recommendations in north NJ/metro-NYC. thanks

BRADESTAR 07-31-2021 08:20 AM

The valve cover gaskets have failed. It's a very simple repair, any shop (or neighbor, or wife) can replace those and get you motoring again.

paul somlo 08-07-2021 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by happysloth (Post 392741)
I meant oil is leaking *from* the crankcase...so oil is leaking into the spark plugs causing one of the pistons to not fire which means it can only be driven very short distances. Just wondering if anyone has a repair recommendations in north NJ/metro-NYC. thanks

Leaking into the spark plug wells, or into the combustion chamber? One is easy, the other not so. Remove the spark plug boots, see if the one in question is covered in oil at the terminal end. If so, replace the valve cover gasket, INCLUDING the small rings that circle the spark plug holes.

If the plug boots come up dry, then you may have a head gasket breach.

SourKraut 08-09-2021 02:23 AM

Can you clarify by what you mean of a “head gasket” breach? Where would one occur? Thanks.

paul somlo 08-09-2021 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SourKraut (Post 392785)
Can you clarify by what you mean of a “head gasket” breach? Where would one occur? Thanks.

Breach, failure, a hole that shouldn't be there. There's lot's of passages for oil and coolant, and lots of pressure from the cylinders. And you don't want any of these mingling.

SourKraut 08-10-2021 03:03 AM

Thanks Paul, Iwas wondering if there was a typical location on the M44. I am concerned that there is evidence of oil residue in cylinders 1 and more in 4. My mechanic is thinking it may be from carbonized oil rings because of a 15% leak down on compression. The head is rebuilt and just finished putting on the engine so as you can imagine I’m not thrilled with the prospect of rebuilding the lower end especially with only 92k on it. My mechanic will be doing a bore scope this week to confirm it’s not coming from the valves.
More than you wanted to hear I’m sure, so, thanks!

SourKraut 09-22-2021 02:54 AM

Just a follow up. Mechanic couldn't do bore scope check. He felt the rings may be bound with carbon due to oil burn. I see no evidence of oil burn on initial startup or when warm soo...? Going to drive as much as I can to let things settle into themselves (past 100 miles have been good), and may do one of those 15-30 minute engine oil flush prior to change and see if that does anything positive. I'd appreciate any experiences out there if you have tried something like this. THx

paul somlo 09-22-2021 03:10 AM

I've never done an "oil flush", not sure what that would entail.

Are there performance issues with the vehicle? If not, I guess I would just drive it, although your vehicle has a lot less miles than mine. At 263,000 miles, I don't put any more money into the car than I need to, so unless something keeps the car from going down the road, I don't worry too much about it.

J!m 09-23-2021 11:02 AM

If you have 15% leak down loss with a rebuilt head (which usually means new valves properly lapped or old valves properly lapped) I would agree that the rings are about done.

But you should know these engines use oil, so that should not be a concern (unless it uses more oil than gasoline).

If the plugs are fouling, I’d just go up one heat range on them. I’ve done this as my oil consumption is a bit high and my plugs look good upon inspection now. How do the plugs look in your car? You can learn a lot “reading” them.