318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Engine (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   M44 chain tensioner - stuck bolt, missing washer (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=44851)

purejoy 05-12-2020 02:21 PM

M44 chain tensioner - stuck bolt, missing washer

Hi,

Recently my 318ti developed a rattle coming from the timing chain area. It is at 268k km (168k miles) - so seemed normal. I have ordered a new tensioner and the crush washer and tried to change it today - unfortunately with no luck.
I cannot take the bolt out - I am applying over 100 Nm to it and nothing moves - the actual bolt head started to round. Also, it is interesting that I cannot see a crush washer in there - see pic below:

https://i.postimg.cc/0zNtk8S3/IMG-6263.jpg

Did any of you have similar problem? I tried with a cold and hot engine - the bolt won't move.

At this point I am wondering is if someone have had issues with the chain tensioner before and either just removed the washed - to push the tensioner further inside and get away without changing it - or just forgot to order the washer and assembled the bolt with some locktite to prevent a leak.

joe1602 05-12-2020 04:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I had a rattle I thought was the tensioner, 115K on the motor, I had no problems taking it out or putting it back in. I think that the tensioner is not a common failure for the M44 motor. I turned out the nasty rattle was the remains of a spun bearing. Motor sounded like I had dropped silverware down into my garbage disposal. Turned out it was easier to change the engine than fix the spun bearing. Found an M44 about an hour and a half from me, 130K on it for $300 bucks. Couldn't go wrong. Turns out the motor I picked up and installed is much stronger than the engine I blew up on the track and replaced. Made me think there were problems with the motor before I took it to a drivers school. Have you sprayed the tensioner bolt down with penetrating oil? Used heat on it as well (from a torch, not just the motor being warm)? These may help, it should not be that difficult to get off.

purejoy 05-12-2020 06:05 PM

Yep - I tried with penetrating oil, tried heating it as well (don't have a torch, but blowed hot air at 475 deg celsius with my hot air station for quite a while) - no luck there:mad:.
Anyway - there should be a washer there right? - I am just wondering if I will uncover more issues once I somehow undo this bolt.

joe1602 05-12-2020 07:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Pics are off the motor I took out and still have sitting in my garage. Shows the washer and the whole tensioner.

purejoy 05-14-2020 07:37 AM

joe1602 - thanks for the pics:smile:

I have ordered some 6-point wrenches to get a better grip (can't get socket on with the AC lines in the way) - will try to attack this again once they arrive with a propper torch as well. Will post once have some results.

joe1602 05-14-2020 09:40 AM

Good Luck!

purejoy 05-26-2020 08:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Success:smile: - managed to take the bolt off. A 6-point wrench was still starting to slip but I got this anti-slip wrench (Jonnesway W301 - see photo in attachment) - which hold the bolt tightly - I highly recommend this tool if anyone is having problems removing any bolt.

Looks like whoever was taking this tensioner apart before - lost the washer and then just tightened the crap out of this bolt to prevent a leak.

Anyway - the old tensioner looked like had very little wear (see photo with old and new in extended position - and a mangled bolt) and was not expecting it would solve my rattle problem. I've put the new tensioner in with a new washer and torqued it to 40 Nm - started the car, it rattled for a while when the part was filling with oil and then the rattle stopped. I drove the car for a couple of days to check it under different conditions - the rattle is gone!:biggrin: