318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Brakes (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   need to almost fully rebuild my rear brakes after buying used ti... suggestions? (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23183)

scott pruett 08-07-2008 03:49 AM

need to almost fully rebuild my rear brakes after buying used ti... suggestions?

so I can't get my ti to pass inspection until I get my rear brakes redone, and at least pads in the front. First, I'm still not entirely familiar w/ this car (or BMWs in general). I've skimmed a few posts here about upgrades beyond the stock setup, and have noticed bigger brakes being installed w/ larger wheel sizes.
  • I was planning on new wheels anyway. Size, dunno yet (17?)... not sure how easy it is to just swap them (what's this rolling the fender talk? that's another forum, I know...).

• if I have to get new brakes, what's recommended for upgrading on a smaller budget?? I'm talking rear pads, rotors, and I think calipers. Fronts, just pads, but if other front components are recommended w/o breaking the bank, I'm all ears.

• where's a reputable / non-overpriced source to purchase this stuff?

actually if you just want to tell me what to buy, that'd be cool too :)

thanks!
scott

dave45056 08-07-2008 05:22 AM

I would reco used 325 rotors and caliper carriers. Then you will have vented fronts.
Also, try tire rack for rotors and pads. Let you budget dictate how hi performance you want to go.
For the rear I would just get aftermarket rotors from tire rack, too
For pads, I like Ceramic Akebonos.
And although I have never used them, Powerslot rotors seem to be a good buy.

96cali 08-07-2008 07:43 AM

There are several Ti's being parted here- pnosker for sure in NJ, not too far away. I'd start with a forum member close to you.

Ji Money 08-07-2008 08:29 AM

What about stock brakes and rotors? I got them done at a shop, all four brakes and rotors and they feel great. I have a stock motor so I don't need anything beyond stock brakes for now. Not sure about your setup though.

tiFreak 08-07-2008 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott pruett (Post 187994)
[*]I was planning on new wheels anyway. Size, dunno yet (17?)... not sure how easy it is to just swap them (what's this rolling the fender talk? that's another forum, I know...).

for wheels, you don't need to roll your fenders unless the wheels you buy stick out to far and rub the fender, I'd recomend getting E36 M3 rims since they fit perfect and look good

bullmand 08-07-2008 02:24 PM

BMP Design has excellent prices on the ATE PremiumOne rotors. I like the Porterfield R4S pads for street and autocross. They brake nearly as well as stock but with significantly less dust. I've been dissatisfied with the ceramics I put on last time. I forget the brand, but I won't be doing that again. As for your front set up, unless you're going to be going to the track a lot or doing an engine swap I wouldn't bother changing the stock set up. It's much lighter than the vented rotors and you won't really see any difference in daily driving.

aceyx 08-07-2008 04:19 PM

First, what is the production date of your ti?

Plug it in your VIN at realoem.com and it will tell you.

scott pruett 08-07-2008 04:47 PM

Thanks everyone for the quick response. Is everything you mention here bolt-on?

96cali - point well taken re: supporting forum members / used parts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ji Money (Post 188023)
What about stock brakes and rotors? I got them done at a shop, all four brakes and rotors and they feel great. I have a stock motor so I don't need anything beyond stock brakes for now. Not sure about your setup though.

that's not out of the options, but I figure I'll explore what else is available prior to just replacing the stock setup... b/c if something better is available for slightly (not significantly) more cost, I'm okay w/ that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aceyx (Post 188044)
First, what is the production date of your ti?

Plug it in your VIN at realoem.com and it will tell you.

neat resource. :smile:

VIN is WBACG8320TAU37397; build date 5/96

96cali 08-07-2008 05:24 PM

There are not many options when it comes to the rear brakes (mcoupe/roady but u need the whole subframe), for fronts you could upgrade to vented but for what you describe as a commuter car the difference will be lost. I would def get a used set of calipers from someone here (or a yard) and then paint or powdercoat them. Always nice to do while yours are still on the car. Have you considered rebuilding the ones you have?

FYI another option is the deal Bimmerbum has going on e46 325 rotors/pads as an upgrade but you need 16" wheels. No prob if you get new rims. Most people run 225-235/40/17's and have no issues with rubbing even if lowered. Just get wheels that have the proper offset. Any e36, 3xx/Z3/M3 will work.

scott pruett 08-07-2008 05:31 PM

hmm... I suppose that makes sense. You're correct; I don't need anything for performance, but I figured while I was replacing parts, I'd look at my options.

I dropped psnoker a message in his parting out thread; thanks for pointing it out.

I may just rebuild mine anyway... that thought has crossed my mind. :)

campaiar 08-07-2008 07:29 PM

If your not planning any serious performance mods, I'd just replace you worn parts with OEM. The brakes on these cars are quite good as is. Just freshing them up will be a big improvement.

scott pruett 08-07-2008 08:30 PM

Thanks... turns out I only need to replace the pads, rotors, and pad sensors. I might as well just stick w/ OE/basic stuff.

Any suggestions for a solid vendor to purchase through (& check pricing)? I can likely get this stuff from psnoker as well, but I don't have a clue what to ask, $$wise.

bullmand 08-07-2008 08:55 PM

bimmerparts.com
They are in PA and since you're in VA the shipping would be relatively inexpensive and quick. You might also try Tischer BMW in Silver Spring, MD. Their mail order service is supposed to be pretty good and one of their parts guys was on here recently offering some good deals on parts.

scott pruett 08-07-2008 09:05 PM

96cali 08-07-2008 09:10 PM

pelican parts, bavauto are 2 more.