318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Misc (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Jacking Points (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7857)

lkwd318ti 12-07-2005 07:42 AM

Jacking Points

Ok ok...I know I've been a member here for a while, but I've never worked on my car myself.
So...here goes the n00b question.

Where exactly are the jacking points for our cars (front and rear)?
I know the front is on the crossmember er sumthin like that...(I think?)

Thanks in advance...

-Randy

Severian 12-07-2005 02:47 PM

This will be a good opportunity for anyone to correct me if needs be. I use the rubber points found in front of the rear wheels and behind the front wheels. They're located directly below the panel plugs that you pop out to perform an emergency tire replacement. Basically I place the jack about 3" from that rubber nub (toward the front or back of the car as the case may be, not toward the center). After jacking the car up I place the jack stand on the rubber nub.

A diagram to illustrate:

|----O--.-x----------x-.--O----|

O = tire
. = rubber nub (eventually place jack stand here)
x = where I place the jack to jack up the front or rear

cali-ti 12-07-2005 02:53 PM

front. i run it part way up my ramps so i can get enough clearance to jack directly under the center of the subframe in the front, then put jack stands under the rubber discs as severian mentioned and (if the tires remain on), put the ramps under the tires (i don't like to be crushed by my car).

the back is trickier. i have the m-coupe diff cover which extends down below the body of the diff so i use lollipops in the emergency jack holes on the side and then use a floor jack to jack it up, putting a jack stand under the end of the rear subframe near the bushings. at this point, i could jack up under the center of the rear subframe and put the jack stands under the rubber pucks as well or use the lollipop in the other side and put another jack stand under the trailing arm. if the wheels stay on, i also try to put something under them as a cya.

1996 328ti 12-07-2005 02:58 PM

I generally use the hockey puck locations. If you use the front pad you can lift both wheels off the ground.

If I need to lift both rear wheels at once I use the carrier below the diff.
Through jack stands under the chassis rail or rear subframe.

Platanos 12-07-2005 02:59 PM

When i swapped my exhaust i placed the jack just forward of the diff. in the vicinity of the second bend of the exhaust. i placed the jack stands just forward of the rear wheels and about 5 inches aft of the jack plugs. there is like a little nook there just under the side skirt. dont know if thats a good place but it worked for me. i don't know where to jack up the front. i need to change my oil bad. i'm just scared to do it.

Severian 12-07-2005 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Platanos
i don't know where to jack up the front. i need to change my oil bad. i'm just scared to do it.

LoL, if I can do it you can. I've changed the oil in her twice now. First time was much scarier than the second.

Is there a problem using the points I specified as jack points? You guys are using places that I've never heard of (don't take that out of context).

Platanos 12-07-2005 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1996 328ti
I generally use the hockey puck locations. If you use the front pad you can lift both wheels off the ground.

If I need to lift both rear wheels at once I use the carrier below the diff.
Through jack stands under the chassis rail or rear subframe.

i need to learn some of this terminology....hockey pucks, front pad, carrier, chassis rail, rear subframe. i wish there was a picture with these parts labeled:redface:

cali-ti 12-07-2005 03:10 PM

article with pics :)

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...Jacking_Up.htm

you'll see what the lollipops are, hockey pucks ... :tongue:

Platanos 12-07-2005 03:15 PM

dude, thats awesome!!! thanks a bunch.

i never seen those lollipops before. is that something thats fabricated at home or do they sell those?

cali-ti 12-07-2005 03:18 PM

i got mine from bavauto, but i know other places sell them as well. they are actually slotted on the sides like the stock jack so they can't rotate too much once they're inserted. really makes it handy to use a floor jack to get one side up in the air (even a little bit just so you can get another jack under the subframe or whatever). i actually got two of them :)

lkwd318ti 12-09-2005 01:19 AM

I want to lift all 4 wheels off the ground.
so yeah, If i Jack it where the hockey pucks are, I wouldn't have a place to put the jack stands.
I was reading the Ron Stygar article (I think it was his.)
(Click)
I want to use those spots that he shows (the last 2 pictures)
Can you guys verify if those spots are good to jack the car up?

Thanks again.

-Randy

cali-ti 12-09-2005 01:28 AM

yes, those are the front and rear subframes, respectively.

btw, be VERY careful putting all four in the air. i have my car this way right now. i have jack stands under the front hockey pucks and the ends of the rear subframe. i also have the front tires on my ramps and the rear tires on as many boards as i could fit under them with wheel chocks on either side. i really don't want to be killed by my car :)

lkwd318ti 12-09-2005 02:22 AM

Haha ok cool.
Thanks.
So those Jacking points are good...
Hey, I would put all that stuff under my car too, I wouldn't want to risk my life working under the car.

-Randy