318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Interior and ICE (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Instrument cluster help (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6826)

maherbaz 08-31-2005 11:36 PM

Instrument cluster help

has anyone taken out their instrument cluster? I took out the two screws, but the thing didn't budge. What else needs to be done to remove it?

1996 328ti 09-01-2005 12:00 AM

It'll come out. Use a pointy tool to pull forward the cluster from the screw hole.

John Firestone 09-01-2005 10:55 AM

I don't know how tight things are on a 'ti, but I just reach under and around, and push it out from the back, starting at the top. There's no risk of scratching the face plate that way. Soft plexiglass seems to have a magnetic attraction for steel tools.

maherbaz 09-07-2005 07:01 PM

Ok still having problems. Turns out two screws are NOT enough to remove the cluster. I found two more screws behind each light switch knob. Now the cluster is loose, but it seems like it is still attached at the bottom by something. Anyone else?

John Firestone 09-07-2005 07:37 PM

I have a silly question. Have you already unplugged the three electrical connectors on the back of the cluster? I assume you have....

maherbaz 09-09-2005 06:58 PM

??? NO! I thought I would be able to unplug those after I pulled the cluster out......How do I get to them if I can't get the cluster out first???

John Firestone 09-09-2005 07:11 PM

BMW may not have given all the connectors a long enough leash for you to unplug them in front of the dash. (They should have.) After my dealer applied an engineering fix to my cluster, its leash is too short.

I push the cluster out toward the wheel so as to create some air space behind the cluster. Then I reach underneath and behind the dash and unplug the three connectors on the cluster's back. The tricky bit is that you have to do this by feel. If you haven't done it before, it helps to first practice unlatching and unplugging a BMW ELO header connector you can look at.

maherbaz 09-09-2005 07:37 PM

well ****y. This sounds more difficult than I expected it to be. Everyone made it sound soo easy. So you remove the panel below the steering wheel, and reach up from there?

maherbaz 09-09-2005 07:39 PM

oh yeah, one more thing. The cluster still won't budge at the bottom. It feels like there are still some screws or something holding it in.....the wire leash may be long enough, so maybe I won't have to go through all of that. I removed a total of **4** screws. 2 on the upper inside of the cluster, and one behind each light switch knob. Are there supposed to be any more? Where could they be?
thanks for all your help,
Maher

John Firestone 09-09-2005 07:45 PM

Yes, you can remove the driver's kick panel and knee protection panel to get at the back of the cluster.

Another thought. Could the cluster simply be binding? I have to gradually rock mine out because of its tight fit. I start by pushing the upper back of the cluster to move the two mounting tangs downward, off and out of the dash. (They tend to dig in.) But then that makes the cluster bind at the bottom, so I have to push back the top a little, then push the lower back, and so on, to gradually nudge the cluster out.

maherbaz 09-09-2005 07:56 PM

OK, checked out realoem.com, the diagram of the cluster shows a **FIFTH** screw in the bottom of the cluster comming up from the bottom. Just as I suspected. I think the steering wheel is right in the way!! How am I supposed to get to that screw!!

maherbaz 09-09-2005 07:57 PM

One other thing john, I'm doing this just so I can get to my headlight switch. Is there possibly an easier way??
Thanks

John Firestone 09-09-2005 08:14 PM

Here are BMW's instructions for removing the Compact instrument cluster:
Unscrew [top two] screws and lift out cluster upwards slightly and
pull forward as far as steering column.

Caution!
Place cleaning rags on steering column to avoid scratches in
glass of instrument carrier.

Push forward levers on [three back] connectors and take out connectors.

Unscrew button for light switch and pull out instrument carrier sideways.

John Firestone 09-09-2005 08:18 PM

At the moment, I can't find anything specific about the Compact light switch. If it is like the others, you have to get at from under and behind.

maherbaz 09-09-2005 08:24 PM

where did you find those bmw instructions?