318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Engine (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   intermitent perfomance, high reading on tacho & temp (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36973)

Bracky 08-26-2012 10:22 AM

intermitent perfomance, high reading on tacho & temp

hi all, still having problems after the conversion. The power comes in intermittently + the rev counter and temp gauge in the cluster are reading too high. The taco reads off the clock at around 2500rpm (guess) and temp starts at 3/4 and goes up as it warms up.
So far i have added a second earth strap to the block and used 0 gauge wire for the rear battery conversion, from the front distribution point the fuse box is 4 gauge, the main ecu/dde relays are running on 8 gauge and a pair of 4 gauge to the starter/alternator (will be changed for a larger single cable soon)
I've started going in circles in my head now and could do with some much needed advice.
Thanks in advance

wolferj-RIP 08-26-2012 04:08 PM

First off, while I can't give you any specific advice regarding the intermittent power, the tach readings will be off due to the 6 cyl. transplant. You need a cluster from an e36 6 cyl. to make that work (all of us with 4 to 6 cyl swaps on this side of the pond had to do this). Could resolve the temp gauge problem as well, but that usually isn't an issue, so call me unsure.

Bracky 08-27-2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolferj (Post 337346)
the tach readings will be off due to the 6 cyl. transplant. You need a cluster from an e36 6 cyl. to make that work (all of us with 4 to 6 cyl swaps on this side of the pond had to do this)

Thats true i do need to change it but would only show 50% higher but its showing idle at 3000rpm. Also the temp & tacho do jump down to correct as it kicks some power out then looses it with the readings raise in unison so temp is related to the same problem. Has to be a connection or earth point for it to jump so violently. Talking of the tacho do they have the 4/6cyl plug in the back like e30's or needs a complete replacement cluster?

wolferj-RIP 08-27-2012 02:13 PM

No 4/6cyl plug on the back. You need a replacement cluster.

Bracky 08-27-2012 06:57 PM

cheers that save me some time getting to the workshop to check, i can get the 325tds clusters on order.

Bracky 09-02-2012 09:17 AM

bump. Still not solved. :confused:

Bracky 09-05-2012 10:36 AM

ive noticed that its still starts and runs with no difference after removing the bunch of earths on the engine harness close to the ecu, where can it be drawing from? also if this is related to the fault why is the no improvement when the better ground is added?

Bracky 12-26-2012 08:54 PM

Bump

Not had much time to play with it for a while but have changed the cluster for the 325tds set which has brought the tacho down but it still showing high. its reading exactly double what it should be.
Also the engine light is lighting up if i drive under 2k revs (4k on tacho) but not on at idle. That doesnt seem to relate to the tacho signal reading double or the temp starting at halfway.
There must be other examples of this happening somewhere before and this is really frustrating me as i have so much more tuning to get on with.