318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Power steering problem (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12521)

DustenT 09-19-2006 02:33 PM

Power steering problem

Hi all -

First off, please excuse the description I'm about to give of this problem, I can't describe it much better than this.

Symptoms: When turning the steering wheel it feels notchy in spots. The wheels turns like normal, but every now and then it feels like it skips, like a gear tooth is skipping. Very intermitent. It was cold this morning (40s) and it skipped about 10 times while pulling into a parking spot (typical 90 degree sharp left turn). There is a light clunking noise that can be heard inside and outside of the car when it "skips", along with a light jarring in the steering wheel.

I have plenty of power steering fluid. It feels mechanical, like something is skipping. I've also noticed a small amount of play when moving the wheel back and forth when parked. My steering wheel points straight with the wheels. I just rolled 141k miles. Control arm bushings, meyle control arms and ball joints are all new. I have HR sport springs and Bilstein sport struts with heavy 17" mille miglia wheels.

Any ideas? Tie rods? Power Steering? Rack?

Tyler 09-19-2006 02:51 PM

Well Dusten my tie rods were just replaced last week with my ball joints. I didn't notice any of that with my car,but did notice it seemed like i had to turn the wheel to the left alot more than the right for the tires to turn. Seemed very lose to me.

Could it be the steering cloumn that comes out of the firewall are,maybee that u-joint is letting go or is rusted up?

Bluebimma 09-19-2006 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DustenT (Post 88837)
Hi all -

First off, please excuse the description I'm about to give of this problem, I can't describe it much better than this.

Symptoms: When turning the steering wheel it feels notchy in spots. The wheels turns like normal, but every now and then it feels like it skips, like a gear tooth is skipping. Very intermitent. It was cold this morning (40s) and it skipped about 10 times while pulling into a parking spot (typical 90 degree sharp left turn). There is a light clunking noise that can be heard inside and outside of the car when it "skips", along with a light jarring in the steering wheel.

I have plenty of power steering fluid. It feels mechanical, like something is skipping. I've also noticed a small amount of play when moving the wheel back and forth when parked. My steering wheel points straight with the wheels. I just rolled 141k miles. Control arm bushings, meyle control arms and ball joints are all new. I have HR sport springs and Bilstein sport struts with heavy 17" mille miglia wheels.

Any ideas? Tie rods? Power Steering? Rack?

I still have that same problem with my steering...but even more since i put my stocks back on from having the mille miglias on. I also have the same parts for steering/suspension except i have FK Automotive which are in the range of HR racing. Still no word on why its does this.

campaiar 09-19-2006 03:40 PM

It sounds like a the rack.

Does it go away when the car is warmed up? From my experience, a rack will show signs like this when its cold, but improve when your up to normal operating temperature.

Bluebimma 09-19-2006 03:46 PM

It only "clicks" on mine on the first half turn to the left or right...and thats only every once in a while, whether its hot or cold.

DustenT 09-19-2006 04:28 PM

Post from the Yahoo! list:

Quote:

As we speak, my power steering pump is being replaced; at the end of
life it was exhibiting these symptoms in addition to whining during
tight turns. So if it isn't the belt, it could be internal.

My mechanic gave me a heads-up to expect a failure at least 100,000
miles ago (I'm up to 230,000) because he found metal shavings in the
power steering fluid. So that may be something else to check for at
home. If you don't see any visible, maybe go fishing with a magnet...

Art

Bluebimma 09-19-2006 06:06 PM

ill check that out tonight

DustenT 09-19-2006 07:04 PM

Changing and flushing your Power Steering system:

This was taken from the Yahoo! list, it was posted some time ago by our good friend Gerry Doiron. Thanks Cali-Ti for archiving this!!
NOTE: there is a filter in the ps fluid reservoir too! (see steven schlossman's pics in the 318ti.org gallery).
Quote:

--- In bmw318ti@yahoogroups.com, "Gerry Doiron" <gerry@m...> wrote:

Here is a summary of the steps we used to change the PS fluid. At 60K
miles the oil was quite dark and dirty. It took 2 of us about 1-1/2
hours.

POWER STEERING FLUID CHANGE

Mobil 1 ATF (Dextron III) 2 Quarts
System Capacity: 1/3 Quart.

1) Jack up the front of the car on stands. Place a drip pan under the
PS tank reservoir.

2) Disconnect the tank return line to the PS Pump and let it drain.
Note: The ETK refers to this hose (32 41 1 092 982) as the "intake manifold."
2.5) Disconnect the return line from the rack to the pump (this line is P/N
2 41 1 093 137) and let it drain as well.
3) Stuff a rag in the Power Steering fluid tank and turn it with a
pair of pliers. If no gunk is present you are done. If gunky, then
remove and flush.

4) Install the clean tank using Stainless Steel CLAMPS and new hoses
if needed. Do not connect the [PS rack] return line at this time.
CAUTION: Use a short piece of hose and a cap-plug to stop up the [PS
rack return line] connection at the
bottom of the
tank.

(Note my two insertions in brackets in the above step.)

4.5) Reconnect the line from the reservoir to the PS pump.

5) Place a clear jar under the return hose from the rack. Have a
helper turn the steering lock to lock a dozen times to manually clear
out the rack. Fill the clean tank and start car for a couple seconds
then shut off. You will see the oil pump out. Turn the steering lock
to lock. Check and fill the reservoir a couple times and repeat until
the fluid is clean.

6) Connect the return line and fill the reservoir. Run the car again
and steer rack to rack. Check and add more fluid if necessary.

Voila! You are done.

m3outtanowhere 09-19-2006 07:20 PM

i was also told bt a elusive BMW tech. that the p.s. reservoir is a filter too. This just confirmed it!

dr1ver 09-21-2006 06:33 AM

i have this problem too and my cars suspension is completely stock. I can't turn right and give it gas otherwise it feels like my steering wheel is bumping/skipping and is fighting back at me. It also makes an awful sound like something is scraping (i've checked and i know it's not). I've also notice a click that happens sort of like a gap from left to right in my steering. I wonder if we share the same problem? I've been finding it difficult to describe my problem to others, but your description sounds like whats wrong with mine too.

DustenT 09-21-2006 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr1ver (Post 89093)
i have this problem too and my cars suspension is completely stock. I can't turn right and give it gas otherwise it feels like my steering wheel is bumping/skipping and is fighting back at me. It also makes an awful sound like something is scraping (i've checked and i know it's not). I've also notice a click that happens sort of like a gap from left to right in my steering. I wonder if we share the same problem? I've been finding it difficult to describe my problem to others, but your description sounds like whats wrong with mine too.

Sounds like the same problem. I'm going to flush my power steering system this weekend and refill with Mobil 1 ATF. Hopefully that clears this up.

Bluebimma 09-21-2006 01:59 PM

For the people with this problem: How many miles do you have on your cars? I have 195k.

DustenT 09-21-2006 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluebimma (Post 89102)
For the people with this problem: How many miles do you have on your cars? I have 195k.

141k hard miles.

CirrusSR22 09-21-2006 05:32 PM

Download this .pdf file. It's flushing procedures straight from ZF. See page #2

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/steering-flush.pdf

DustenT 09-21-2006 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CirrusSR22 (Post 89119)
Download this .pdf file. It's flushing procedures straight from ZF. See page #2

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/steering-flush.pdf

Great!! Thank you!