318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Transmission (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Flywheel missing teeth? (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=31192)

Platanos 07-27-2010 11:43 PM

Flywheel missing teeth?

So after installing my dinan tb and 8mm wires, my car is having trouble starting. It happened a few times prior to the mentioned being installed but after this install, its happening everytime. I get lucky after trying a few times and it'll start.

I had a buddy of mine come check it out and he said I need a flywheel and a starter.

What are my options for upgrading? I'm thinking a lightweight flywheel and clutch while I'm at it. Does it have to be ti specific? Can I use e36 m3 stuff?

For instance, would this work?
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1487875

Thanks!!

familytruckster 07-27-2010 11:47 PM

I think it's more on the line of the solenoid isn't engaging the starter all the way...

I'd replace the starter and check the FW before replacing it. It'd be pretty easy to do and might save you a bunch of $$....

Just for ****s and giggles you might want to just see if the starter is loose. I've had that happen before.

Platanos 07-27-2010 11:57 PM

Now heres a dumb question.....wheres the starter...lol

and I call myself an enthusiast:rolleyes:

wolferj-RIP 07-28-2010 12:05 AM

Left hand side (Drivers).

Platanos 07-28-2010 12:07 AM

behind the alternator?

wolferj-RIP 07-28-2010 12:08 AM

further back, but that side and a little lower

Platanos 07-28-2010 12:11 AM

damn, theres no room to check it by hand. Easier to access from underneath?

wolferj-RIP 07-28-2010 12:13 AM

It's not easy to get to from top or bottom, but there's a little more room from the bottom

Platanos 07-28-2010 12:21 AM

Thanks for the help fellas. I'm calling it a night. Hopefully it'll turn over for the rest of the week. I have two weeks of vacation starting next week so I'll tear into it then.

familytruckster 07-28-2010 12:42 AM

The only thing is the more it grinds the more damage it does to the FW....

This comign from the guy driving with only one of three bolts holding the torque converter in...

Platanos 07-28-2010 02:30 AM

Yeah, I figured all that grinding can't be good. In that case, it leads me back to asking, what for kits are available as far as ltw fw / clutch? Any stage 1's out there for our ti's?

318_mzk2 07-28-2010 02:46 AM

to get good access you have to remover half of the intake manifold..thats the way i replaced my starter back when i had my m44....i have a stock flywheel also if you want it.. i had a stage 2 race disk on my m44 :) it was realy good

cooljess76 07-28-2010 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 318_mzk2 (Post 277043)
to get good access you have to remover half of the intake manifold..thats the way i replaced my starter back when i had my m44....i have a stock flywheel also if you want it.. i had a stage 2 race disk on my m44 :) it was realy good

I completely disagree. It's much easier to remove the dipstick tube and remove the starter from underneath the car. Disconnect the battery, disconnect the wires going to the starter, remove dipstick tube, remove both starter mounting bolts, rotate starter 270 degrees and it'll drop right out from underneath the car.

First I'd get a second opinion on the starter and or flywheel "missing teeth" though. What were the symptoms, does it make grinding noises when you're cranking it? Unless your friend removed the slave cylinder and looked through the hole with a boroscope, it's pretty random to assume the flywheel is missing teeth. That being said, starters usually fail in one of two ways. Either the solenoid goes bad in which the starter won't do anything because the electrical side is fried, and/or the other failure is usually a bad starter actuator that won't shuttle back and engage with the flywheel. If by chance the flywheel is missing teeth, there's really no where for them to go except for the bottom of the transmission bellhousing. So you should be able to fish them out through the slave cylinder hole using a flexible magnet. This would confirm the flywheel is damaged and might save you from having to pull the transmission. Just my .02:wink:

wolferj-RIP 07-28-2010 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Platanos (Post 277040)
Yeah, I figured all that grinding can't be good. In that case, it leads me back to asking, what for kits are available as far as ltw fw / clutch? Any stage 1's out there for our ti's?

That kit you linked to would work fine... I have basically the same setup mated to my Getrag stock trans..

Platanos 07-28-2010 12:54 PM

Thanks for all the info guys! It did not start for me this morning. It was grinding really bad. Had to take the young lady's car to work. I think I'll just play it safe and swap out the starter, clutch and flywheel. Don't really want to spend all that money so I might go with a used setup. So that link I posted in the first post will work with the ti, I might make an offer. Will it bolt right up or do I need to upgrade the slave cylinder and such?