318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Maintenance (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Power steering wheels fluid (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11380)

/Ada1982 / 07-06-2006 04:08 PM

Power steering wheels fluid

My steering wheels kinda get harder to turn. So i think i have to put some more fluid in it but i don't know where is the part that i suppose refill the fluid. Help please :)

GDB 07-06-2006 04:25 PM

There's a little bottle on the driver side of the car, just behind the radiator. Just unscrew the top, add some fluid, and you're done.

Tyler 07-06-2006 05:30 PM

Make Sure you use ATF fluid Only.

GDB 07-06-2006 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyler
Make Sure you use ATF fluid Only.

It's the same as power steering fluid

Tyler 07-06-2006 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GDB
It's the same as power steering fluid

ATF(auto trans fluid) is different from just regular power steering fluid. Using regular power steering fluid is not recomended and is not good for your car.

316i compact 07-06-2006 06:56 PM

guys please pay attention to my question!!! I have never changed ATF for the steering, do you think that changing with new high quality ATF there will be any dofference in the steering feeling? What fluid to use except Red line? (we don't have Red line here).
Also can i change the fluid on my own? How am i going to take the air out of the system?

/Ada1982 / 07-06-2006 09:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i will go buy ATF and try to find that little bottle. Thanks for all your help. Love this website :)

Tyler 07-06-2006 09:31 PM

Look to the left of your airbox and then about 10 inches down and you'll see the black canister which is the PS fluid. To get at it i had to unhook the top of the airbox and move it the side to reach it.

Shellback 07-17-2006 03:17 PM

RTFM

mohaughn 07-17-2006 05:29 PM

You should use Dexron ATF per the manual, bentley, and haynes. There is no high performance power steering fluid, and you will not see a difference in steering based on buying a more expensive brand. I don't have the manual in front of me but I think it is Dexron typeII for the power steering, and typeIII for the transmission.

I'd only put the performance ATF, royal purple or redline, into a transmission as the friction modifiers are meant to be used in transmissions only.

The only BMW's that I'm aware of that require special power steering fluid are the 5 series that have self leveling suspensions. It says right on the cap what type of fluid to use, if it says ATF, only use dexron based ATF.

Panzer_M 07-23-2006 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shellback
RTFM

holla.

buy a repair manual, read it and repeat.

that is the best way other than breaking down a car to learn to work on it.

you prob have a leak either at the res or the hoses going from the res to the steering rack...one of those hose by BMW value is 41$ the other is 125$, so hope it's just the 2.00 gasket black O-ring on the res cap that might be where the fluid is seeping from.

The one thing that pisses me off about owning a Ti, is being the "entry" level BMW more and more kids are starting to own them, that don't know their ass from their head on maintaining the vehicles.

/Ada1982 / 07-28-2006 04:07 PM

i still didn't have time to do it.

andyman7931 07-31-2006 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mohaughn
The only BMW's that I'm aware of that require special power steering fluid are the 5 series that have self leveling suspensions. It says right on the cap what type of fluid to use, if it says ATF, only use dexron based ATF.

curious... which ones are those? my 88 m5 with SLS has a seperate resivoir in the trunk for the suspension. The power steering hydraulics also runs the brakes, but other than that it seems normal.

mohaughn 07-31-2006 09:10 PM

I wasn't saying it was the fluid used for the rear suspension. I've just noticed that older 5 series with the automatic suspension sometimes call for CHF 11 hydraulic fluid.

It may just be the E34's, I'm not sure.. My E39 takes regular dexron ATF.

pdxmotorhead 08-01-2006 12:08 AM

CHF 11 is a high temp aircraft control rated hydraulic fluid as I recall, It has conditioners for the seals and some extra anti corosion stuff in it...

Of course that was a long long time ago....

Dave