318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   New England - US (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   God Damn RI Laws......... (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24550)

Tyler 11-26-2008 12:45 AM

God Damn RI Laws.........

You know what pissed me off the other day when my car was at my mechanic. He tells me my sticker expires next month(which i new) and my car will fail in current condition meaning i have tint on my windows. They changed the law and as of 1/09 you will get fined $200 per window with tint, that sounds steap if correct. That's just wrong, only factory tinted windows are legal. When i moved to RI a few years ago i had to take the tint off the front windows to pass inspection but everything else was fine.

tiFreak 11-26-2008 12:47 AM

what? no aftermarket tint at all?! :eek: that's stupid, what is the point of that? :mad:

THAT318 11-26-2008 01:13 AM

chicago has no aftermarket tint either i think. when my uncle cam here to az this week he saw my uncles cl600 with [i think] like 3% or something like that... hes like whoa that legal.. haha hell no. we cant look into the car even during the day its seriously straight limo tint. and he hasnt got **** from cops yet.

tiFreak 11-26-2008 03:46 AM

this just reminded me, I saw a Jaguar a couple weeks ago with Florida plates, it had limo-tint on every window, including the windshield, is that even remotely legal in Florida?

M332TI 11-26-2008 04:34 AM

yes thats legal in Florida. also, you can make a left turn even if its red so long as its all clear.

jordanmc 11-26-2008 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M332TI (Post 204345)
yes thats legal in Florida. also, you can make a left turn even if its red so long as its all clear.

now im jealous

Maverix 11-26-2008 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M332TI (Post 204345)

Whoa realy?! :eek:

aceyx 11-26-2008 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jordanmc (Post 204354)
now im jealous

Don't quote me on this but you can make a left on a red onto a one-way street in CA. I know for a fact this is legal in MA, possible in WA as well.

I think MI has something similar, can't fully recall (and don't care to look it up).

AquaCali 11-26-2008 02:28 PM

Rhode Island Laws

You might want to check this out your mechanic is not 100% correct, like most laws it is a bit vague on cars.

http://www.dmv.ri.gov/inspections/PR...inspection.pdf

The State will allow the use of sunscreen material which has a total visible light transmittance of seventy (70%) percent on all windows of passenger type vehicles.
THE STATE LAWS AND REGULATIONS, ALLOW MANY VEHICLES TO BE EQUIPPED WITH SUN SCREENING MATERIAL WITH NO LIGHT TRANSMITTANCE STANDARD FOR THE WINDOWS BEHIND THE DRIVER OR ROOF-MOUNTED WINDOWS OR WINDOWS WITH LESS THAN 150 SQUARE INCHES IN AREA, IF THE VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH TWO (2) OUTSIDE MIRRORS, ONE (1) ON EACH SIDE, ADJUSTED SO THAT THE DRIVER HAS A CLEAR VIEW OF THE HIGHWAY BEHIND THE VEHICLE.

THESE VEHICLES INCLUDE:
S.U.V.’s, -- trucks – buses – trailers – mobile homes – campers – charter buses – funeral service vehicles – limousines and multi-purpose vehicles which include all vans and other vehicles constructed on a truck chassis.
Any person, firm, corporation or other entity installing a sunscreen device or material on the windows or windshield of any vehicle shall provide and affix a label on the front windshield (near inspection sticker) not to exceed one and one-half (1-1/2) square inches in size, which contains the installer’s name and the percentage of light transmittance

The State Law provisions do not apply to the motor vehicles owned or leased by federal, state and local law enforcement agencies, farm vehicles, and motor vehicles not required to be registered in this state. The use of the windshield sun visors, sun screening devices, or sun tints are acceptable as long as the visor or tint is not affixed below the “AS-1” edge mark on the windshield or if the visor or tint does not exceed 6” from the top of the windshield if the vehicle does not have a “AS-1” edge mark.
If a vehicle is presented with a glass removed other than the windshield, you may approve the vehicle as long as the removed glass does not leave any exposed chips or edges that could injure any person.

Cause for rejection:

1. Any vehicle glass or sun screening material or device that
fails to meet the requirements of this regulation.

bmwpelican 11-26-2008 03:05 PM

that sucks, i just had my car inspected yesterday and the guy was giving me **** also. but what he said was that they dont have the right to fail people anymore for tint, bc they dont have propper tools to measure the exact percent of sun coming through.

Tyler 11-26-2008 06:16 PM

This is the old law, the new one takes effect this January 1st.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterJ (Post 204370)
You might want to check this out your mechanic is not 100% correct, like most laws it is a bit vague on cars.

http://www.dmv.ri.gov/inspections/PR...inspection.pdf

The State will allow the use of sunscreen material which has a total visible light transmittance of seventy (70%) percent on all windows of passenger type vehicles.
THE STATE LAWS AND REGULATIONS, ALLOW MANY VEHICLES TO BE EQUIPPED WITH SUN SCREENING MATERIAL WITH NO LIGHT TRANSMITTANCE STANDARD FOR THE WINDOWS BEHIND THE DRIVER OR ROOF-MOUNTED WINDOWS OR WINDOWS WITH LESS THAN 150 SQUARE INCHES IN AREA, IF THE VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH TWO (2) OUTSIDE MIRRORS, ONE (1) ON EACH SIDE, ADJUSTED SO THAT THE DRIVER HAS A CLEAR VIEW OF THE HIGHWAY BEHIND THE VEHICLE.

THESE VEHICLES INCLUDE:
S.U.V.’s, -- trucks – buses – trailers – mobile homes – campers – charter buses – funeral service vehicles – limousines and multi-purpose vehicles which include all vans and other vehicles constructed on a truck chassis.
Any person, firm, corporation or other entity installing a sunscreen device or material on the windows or windshield of any vehicle shall provide and affix a label on the front windshield (near inspection sticker) not to exceed one and one-half (1-1/2) square inches in size, which contains the installer’s name and the percentage of light transmittance

The State Law provisions do not apply to the motor vehicles owned or leased by federal, state and local law enforcement agencies, farm vehicles, and motor vehicles not required to be registered in this state. The use of the windshield sun visors, sun screening devices, or sun tints are acceptable as long as the visor or tint is not affixed below the “AS-1” edge mark on the windshield or if the visor or tint does not exceed 6” from the top of the windshield if the vehicle does not have a “AS-1” edge mark.
If a vehicle is presented with a glass removed other than the windshield, you may approve the vehicle as long as the removed glass does not leave any exposed chips or edges that could injure any person.

Cause for rejection:

1. Any vehicle glass or sun screening material or device that
fails to meet the requirements of this regulation.

Maverix 11-26-2008 11:10 PM

Anyone know removing the rear seats is legal?

tiFreak 11-26-2008 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverix (Post 204440)
Anyone know removing the rear seats is legal?

yes it is, you can also remove the seat belts only if the seat is removed

Maverix 11-27-2008 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiFreak (Post 204442)
yes it is, you can also remove the seat belts only if the seat is removed

I don't mind the seat belts. I just want to remove the rear seats for weight reduction. And plus, I don't like having people sitting behind me. Would I need to have a cover for the air bag module?

StealthBimmer 11-27-2008 02:02 AM

Time to move across the border. ;) Still 35% tint for MA.