318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Site Feedback (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   318ti Is closing down?? (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=44688)

1966Lemans 08-28-2019 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1996 328ti (Post 391006)
In all the years there hasn't been a need for moderators. :)
I'm going move the forum over to another forum package and look for another host. The articles section may not be easy to port over.

Maybe you can "print" the articles into PDF files, and present them that way, when you move to the new servers.

--- Jay

J!m 08-28-2019 03:15 PM

Great to see some activity here. Hopefully the migration can happen smoothly and seamlessly.

I hate to suggest it, as it could push away a lot of members, but a "pay to play" plan for full access to deeper stuff might not be a horrible idea.

But, if operational costs can be dropped in half, perhaps user donations can keep us afloat.

Re moderators, we got a few of those left. I was on a tear in the "wheels and tires" thread or whatever it was, deleting posts that were roaming off the reservation. If I, and other mods, take on a monster thread a week for the next month, we can trim a lot of fat (potentially), although photos are what eat up the space clearly...

I'm open to helping as I can but my time is quite limited as well.

PS: messages to members who have bloated mailboxes but haven't visited in quite a while (say six months) might allow them to come in and clean up; also be made aware of the situation and possibly be able to help somehow.

When the car breaks down, we fix it, not scrap it!:smile:

EDIT: I am on another forum where you cannot sell unless you are a site supporter. I think this is fair, and I happen to see a new member with two posts, and both of them are for sale posts... This is a great platform for selling a ti; however it should not be the ONLY reason you are here...

lazoh 08-28-2019 05:19 PM

Steve and others, we have been here too long to let it go. Let's work on a plan to keep it going and do whatever it takes! Steven said he would have more time to figure it out in September, Let's do this guys!!!

roadrash 08-29-2019 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J!m (Post 391014)
EDIT: I am on another forum where you cannot sell unless you are a site supporter. I think this is fair, and I happen to see a new member with two posts, and both of them are for sale posts... This is a great platform for selling a ti; however it should not be the ONLY reason you are here...

I like that idea. I'm not sure if the current forum software could facilitate that limitation, but the general concept is worth pursuing.

J!m 08-29-2019 11:56 PM

I made a pest of myself on a few for sale threads...

Let’s hope the honor system works.

Alivinglegend 09-06-2019 05:59 AM

I'm new to the forum, but I can already tell that a lot of great information would be lost if this forum were to disappear. Is there anyway that you could partner with another forum and just let the current 318ti become a sub section of another forum? (Like within the dead 318ti subforum on bimmerforums)

One day this car will be a classic and people would be glad to have all the information collected here.

J!m 09-07-2019 01:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It already is a classic!

(Photo of my car, taken this morning)

Become a site supporter! It doesn’t cost much and you’ll feel good doing something to help.

Alivinglegend 09-07-2019 03:05 AM

Well technically I think it has to be 25 years old to be a classic by some definitions.

As for the forum, how serious is the owner about keeping it going? The operating cost sounds pretty high and I don't think there are enough active users to support it in its current state.

Your car looks great, certainly an inspiration for me. I also have a red m sport and I'm working on painting my style 24s so that they can go on. What's the deal with the black b pillar trim on the door? Is that a factory part, my car is just red there but I think the black looks better.

J!m 09-07-2019 03:16 AM

25 is antique status around here. “Classic vehicle” is 20 or older.

The black is factory. It’s a sticker than can peel off and some leave it off; others paint the B pillar instead. Mine is still the original sticker.

Some options are kicking around to save the site. A lot of clean up is required first, and the members need to contribute once in a while too. Some have offered to host the whole thing but there are issues with the age of the software etc.

It’s not a simple fix.

MisterM52 09-19-2019 09:47 PM

So whats happening around here these days? Ever since the news of closure its made me not want to come by anymore and I feel unless we are absolutely sure we are really closing down then that banner at the top of the forum is already hurting the visitors encouragement to join or post.

Go well gentlemen, many have come forward and if we can be of any assistance, let me know.

J!m 09-20-2019 12:11 AM

Steve’s schedule is quite full at the moment.

I think we will have a solution in a month or so. And it’s looking like we will remain up, but what exactly that looks like remains to be seen.

Help support with a contribution and encourage others to do so as well. Steve’s been paying out of pocket to keep it running...

1996 328ti 09-24-2019 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterM52 (Post 391089)
So whats happening around here these days? Ever since the news of closure its made me not want to come by anymore and I feel unless we are absolutely sure we are really closing down then that banner at the top of the forum is already hurting the visitors encouragement to join or post.

Go well gentlemen, many have come forward and if we can be of any assistance, let me know.

OK, I removed the notice. ;)

anassa 09-24-2019 09:31 PM

On my side, for some reason when I view the forum using my cellphone or PC what comes up is a really watered down version that seems like the forum is already being stripped down. In that "base" version there are no images and everything looks really messy, it is also impossible to log-in with that version. It wasn't until I used my Chromebook that I am able to see the forum as it looks normally. So I am not sure if others are having this issue as it would also block them from being able to log-in/contribute or even want to check in. It definitely made it harder for me.

Samson 09-25-2019 12:48 AM

New member, just bought a 1999 318ti two days ago and I'm throwing in some cash. This place is a treasure trove of information, tips and tricks, etc.

Thanks for all the work everyone has done, it will make my life easier when something breaks on this car. Like the passenger window, that's project #2.

Samson 09-25-2019 12:51 AM

Also a thought, maybe change the amount that can be donated (unless that causes weird tax issues or something). I'd throw up the whole $180 if that made the difference for a month.