318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Exhausts (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Custom Supersprint Exhaust??? (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6482)

Viper3812 07-31-2005 03:11 PM

Custom Supersprint Exhaust???

I have had my Supersprint exhaust for quite some time, about 6 years. Ever since I installed the Supersprint Racing Resonator, my exhaust was hanging lower and I haven't had the time to readjust it until now. I just took it in the shop and put it on the lift and had quite a few scratches on the Cat-Back (resonator that connects to the muffler) and found a hole on top from corrosion and the bottom from the same/scratches. The mechanic said I would have to take out the second resonator because of how weak/hollow the shell was compared to the muffler which is still strong that even if I had it welded it would cause a bigger hole.

So now I have 3 options:

1. Keep what I have which is still good.

2. Buy a whole new Supersprint which will cost me around $700 that I don't
have.

3. Cut off the resonator and weld in a straight pipe to the Supersprint which
will make my exhaust louder.

I don't know if I should keep what I have which I don't mind or put in the straight pipe and hope it's not too loud/obnoctious loud.

Does anyone have a custom exhaust with straight piping? Thanks.

96cali 08-01-2005 04:29 AM

Call BMP/SS and get a new resonator??

myblueTI 08-01-2005 04:39 AM

warranty?

Viper3812 08-01-2005 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96cali
Call BMP/SS and get a new resonator??

It's not my Racing Resonator that I just bought, it is the Cat-Back which is the muffler, piping, and resonator all in 1. I highly doubt I still have a warranty for a 6 year old exhaust, but I'm gonna call BMP tomorrow and ask.

Right now I'm thinking of going tomorrow and get teh resonator cut and replace with a straight pipe.

Any suggestions or recommendations? Thanks.

ZeroG 08-01-2005 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viper3812
It's not my Racing Resonator that I just bought, it is the Cat-Back which is the muffler, piping, and resonator all in 1. I highly doubt I still have a warranty for a 6 year old exhaust, but I'm gonna call BMP tomorrow and ask.

Right now I'm thinking of going tomorrow and get teh resonator cut and replace with a straight pipe.

Any suggestions or recommendations? Thanks.

I have heard similar things happen with other owners who have a SS system. I would still call BMP and ask if at the very least you can get a prorated discount if not full replacement.

-Chad

gooten1 08-02-2005 03:33 AM

I have the supoersprint, and straight pipes up to it. It's not obnoxiously loud, doesn't sound like a ricer. I've gotten a few compliments on it from the domestics crowd..."wow, that doesn't sound like a 4 cylinder!"

Viper3812 08-02-2005 05:05 AM

I called BMP today and they said there is no warranty. The aluminized steel warranty is for up to 2 years and the stainless steel is up to 3 years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gooten1
I have the supoersprint, and straight pipes up to it. It's not obnoxiously loud, doesn't sound like a ricer. I've gotten a few compliments on it from the domestics crowd..."wow, that doesn't sound like a 4 cylinder!"

Do you have the dual tip version or single? Im going to get my exhaust fixed tomorrow and I'll let you guys know how it went. Thanks for the info/help.