318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Differentials (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   ASC+T, plus LSD??? (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30400)

roadrash 04-29-2010 10:04 PM

ASC+T, plus LSD???

Would there be any noticeable benefit to adding an LSD to an M44 with the ASC+T system and used as a daily driver?

Pros?

Cons?

1996 328ti 04-29-2010 10:12 PM

I guess it might depend on the LSD.

Pro. You now have a bit more control over the front wheels, no?

Con. Clutch pack LSDs need to be rebuilt from time to time.

Xenocide 04-29-2010 10:13 PM

pro. you now have an lsd

con. you just spent money

If you DD your car...and thats it...really no added benefit to an LSD. If you track and/or drive in harsh weather it may be worth it to you.

roadrash 04-29-2010 10:58 PM

The specific LSD I'm considering is from a 318ti (being sold by small_m).

I don't expect to do any autocrossing in this car, but would like to attend a drivers school eventually. I don't aim to be a racer, I just want to be a good driver.

The problem is... I've got the money, but I'm trying to refrain from being impulsive until I have more money coming in. [sigh] Maybe I should buy another suit instead. LOL

chudzikb 04-30-2010 12:14 AM

Not quite clear from your public information where you are from? If you are from a snow state, you could get some real benefits from an LSD. The BMW traction control essentially cuts power to curb traction issues. It is that other throtle body looking piece in your intake tract. The LSD truly gives you 2 wheel traction that can give you real benefits. Especially in the snow it makes a huge difference. Coming out of corners with an LSD or taking turns hard becomes a different experience. As the weight lifts from the one side that wheel just spins and so goes your power. LSD stays hooked up to the pavement, a real and tangible benefit. I wanted one for the 318ti, ended up with a much lower ratio 2.93 open diff as I wanted to quiet the motor on the highway...

roadrash 04-30-2010 06:54 AM

BNA is the airport code for Nashville, TN. So, snow is rarely much of an issue here. :-)

John Firestone 04-30-2010 08:46 AM

An LSD is also fun when it's wet.

ChItalian1027 04-30-2010 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadrash (Post 269244)
BNA is the airport code for Nashville, TN. So, snow is rarely much of an issue here. :-)

but you do get a good amount of ice as do I in Carbondale during the winter

roadrash 04-30-2010 10:37 PM

When it gets icy, I choose to stay home rather than deal with the SUV's piloted by "invincible" idiots. :-)

After talking to my mechanic about this today, about the only real benefit of an LSD to me at this time is that I'd be able to say that I have an LSD. LOL

But, by all means feel free to continue to contribute thoughts to this thread because someone else will probably have the same question later. :-)

xxxJohnBoyxxx 05-02-2010 11:06 PM

I don't like ASC and disabled it first thing. Only my driving opinion and I don't drive in snow and when it is raining I drive like an old lady, always have since I've wrecked a few when I was a teen being a idoit an idiot. I do run the anti-lock brakes on my Bimmer.

I like to petal pedal the car if needed. I never hit it hard in a corner and in the straight when it breaks loose which it does a lot under high boost I just steer out of it and petal pedal when it gets too wild.

I grew up driving muscle cars with Posi that never had traction control so I just like the feeling of steering out of the fish-tail. It's a nice big shot of my natural drugs - Dopamine...Yes I'm a junky...Heart pounding, smell of burnt rubber in the car...Nothing is better.

Can't get that with traction control

marko 05-03-2010 12:06 AM

ASC-T delete, FTW... that thing sucked monkey balls!
When snowing, it would not let the wheels turn almost at all (cause it sensed a lot of spin, obviously).

In order to get up a hill (or NOT get stuck in the middle of a busy intersection) & would generally just turn it off & baby the throttle with better results.

As for the LSD - it just rocks!
Best 400 bills I ever spent... so much more responsive in the twisties, too!

1996 328ti 05-03-2010 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko (Post 269549)
ASC-T delete, FTW... that thing sucked monkey balls!
When snowing, it would not let the wheels turn (cause it sensed a lot of spin).

That's why in the owner's manual I believe it tells you to turn it OFF.

marko 05-03-2010 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1996 328ti (Post 269551)
That's why in the owner's manual I believe it tells you to turn it OFF.

Hmmm... interesting. Never read that, but it makes sense.

Then again, what is the purpose of it anyway? LOL

Dont know... I could be a minority on this, but I f-ing hatted the damn thing.:cool:

xxxJohnBoyxxx 05-03-2010 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko (Post 269552)
Hmmm... interesting. Never read that, but it makes sense.

Then again, what is the purpose of it anyway? LOL

Dont know... I could be a minority on this, but I f-ing hatted the damn thing.:cool:

Remove it. It's so easy to kill it and it is a major restriction. Don't tell me you still have one? If you do your robbing about 25hp off your DASC maybe more.

I will have a major spaz right now if you answer yes Marko...No $hit

That TB for the flap is 2.5" and your taking away from your 3" M3 MAF. it's right in front of your MAF...

I'm serious I will spaz out and hit my head on the wall:confused:

marko 05-03-2010 12:17 AM

nah man.. Teddy tossed that POS in the trash, last summer! LOL

couldn't make it work with all the extra power... long gone! Hahhahhaaa :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxxJohnBoyxxx (Post 269554)
Remove it. It's so easy to kill it and it is a major restriction. Don't tell me you still have one? If you do your robbing about 25hp off your DASC maybe more.

I will have a major spaz right now if you answer yes Marko...No $hit

That TB for the flap is 2.5" and your taking away from your 3" M3 MAF. it's right in front of your MAF...

I'm serious I will spaz out and hit my head on the wall:confused: