318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Garage burned down last night (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27321)

Borg561 07-08-2009 05:12 AM

Garage burned down last night

Well, we had a garage fire last night. The garage is a total loss, as well as one or our neighbor's cars. My mom and brother's cars both suffered some damage, but they should be repairable (they were parked outside, garage was mainly used for storage). Two other neighbor's garages had some siding damage.

The good news is nobody was hurt and the house suffered no damage (it was a detached garage). Not sure what caused the fire yet, but it's looking like a firework, cigarette butt, or something like that started a garbage bag on fire that was right next to the garage.

Some pics I took this afternoon of the damage can be seen on my Facebook page (here). One of the news channels showed up and had a brief clip of the fire on the evening news today. It's not on their website, but I'll post a link up if they put it up.

A bit shaken up still, but I'll be fine. We've got power and phone service back (the power company was there before the fire was even put out). Cable company is supposed to be out tomorrow. As bad as the fire was, it could have been a lot worse.

Justin

milehigh96caliti 07-08-2009 05:45 AM

OMG I am so glad you are all ok! That had to have been really scary! Thank goodness it wasn't worse!

Borg561 07-08-2009 06:46 AM

Yup, we're all okay, that's the important thing. Material things can be replaced/fixed (though right now I'm sooo glad I park out on the street). Like I said, it was pretty much used for storage, and I don't think we'd put much in there recently. My brother had quite a few tools, an air compressor and such in there, but the tools might be okay. Other than the actual structure, I'd say our total real loss for what was in there at maybe $2000. Definately makes you come to appreciate insurance.

Justin

wolferj-RIP 07-08-2009 06:55 AM

Justin;

I am glad that no one was hurt, and that most everything can be replaced/repaired... Really glad that it wasn't an attached garage, too!

Have a nice, big glass of good scotch tonight, and toast the fact that you park on the street!

milehigh96caliti 07-08-2009 04:24 PM

I only put my car in the garage 3 - 4 nights a week because the rest of the time I'm at work. But I have to because we have those little vandalizing kids that like to drive down the street and break out your car windows...and since it's a vert too, I'm always worried about someone cutting the top open and breaking into it even though I never leave anything in it.

I'm glad it's not too bad, and yep insurance is a good thing!

tiFreak 07-09-2009 01:07 AM

I read the thread title and was worried your ti might have been in there :eek:

I can't see the pics unless I sign into Facebook but I don't have an account

Maverix 07-09-2009 02:10 AM

Wow, glad to hear everyone is ok. Insurance should cover it hopefully.

Sorry to ask this dumb question, but did the cars blow up like they do in the movies? :lol:

Borg561 07-09-2009 08:42 PM

I'll try to get the pictures thrown up on my website later tonight or tomorrow.

The cars didn't blow up. On my mom and brother's cars, the bumpers and lights partially melted, along with some of the side molding, mirror housing and such. The neighbors car actually had fire damage, lost the rear window. Doesn't look like the flames made it to the gas tank or filler tube though.

Justin

acevedo12 07-09-2009 08:46 PM

did your brothers tools make it? that would be pretty impressive

Borg561 07-09-2009 11:21 PM

Physically, the tools made it. The shop part of the garage suffered some damage, but didn't take the brunt of it. Heck, the shop part is still standing, minus the wall that was between it and the main part of the garage. We're not sure if the heat had any ill effects on them though, so they'll probably be replaced just to be safe.

Justin

tiFreak 07-10-2009 12:29 AM

I wouldn't recommend using tools that were in a fire like that, not worth the risk to your knuckles if the metal was weakened

performanceisland 07-10-2009 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiFreak (Post 236211)
I wouldn't recommend using tools that were in a fire like that, not worth the risk to your knuckles if the metal was weakened

i agree with tifreak, let the insurance pay for the tools and get new ones if you want, they should not be used, they could be faulty. Glad everyone is ok.

Borg561 07-11-2009 06:56 AM

Dumping the pictures up to my website, though it will be sometime in the morning when they're done. I got called in to work tonight, and while the cell phone connection is faster than 56k, it's not even close to a cable connection.

I got the video converted to MPG and up on Facebook. I'll put it up with the pictures.

Justin

Borg561 07-11-2009 10:41 PM

Album is up now (thanks to the photo album feature on Tripod). It can be seen here. I also got the small clip I took with my cellphone and it can be downloaded here.

Couple notes. The white Honda Civic was our neighbor's, it's totaled. The grey Mazda 3 is my mom's, it's repairable. The silver Mustang is my brother's. It was right next to the garage when the fire started, but he moved it right away, and it's supposedly repairable as well. The little guy in the firefighter's helmet is my nephew.

Justin

acevedo12 07-12-2009 01:54 AM

wow, that civic got worked, i've never seen a car melt that bad