318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Exterior (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   water leaks door and hatch (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=39290)

1996 328ti 10-17-2013 07:51 PM

water leaks door and hatch

1. While my door panel is off waiting for parts I noticed water in the bottom of the door. I'm going to guess it's due to gaps in the lower weather stripping. Parts ordered for both sides. There is an oblong hole at the bottom of the door on the lower trailing edge on the 95 but not on my 96?

2. Water in the right storage compartment in the hatch.
I am noticing a slow drip above the storage compartment coming through a rectangular opening in the carpet. I don't think it's the weather stripping since I don't I can feel water coming in through. Are there drains in the rear? Almost looks like water may be going into the light cluster from above.

Replace the rubber stripping first?

1996 328ti 10-17-2013 08:35 PM

Now that is it stopped raining I pulled off the weather stripping and found lots of crude underneath. I cleaned it up. Still wonder if I should replace the weatherstripping since it's fairly cheap or wait until it rains again.

lazoh 10-17-2013 10:47 PM

I say you wait for some more water to come down the sky to check if it still leaks.

1996 328ti 10-19-2013 07:00 PM

Still leaking.
I'll order a new seal and might as well order the lower trim for the glass.

Where does the water go anyway?
The water that rolls down the outside lip of the hatch?
Into the light cluster?

1996 328ti 10-27-2013 11:02 PM

I replaced the seal. Makes it a little harder to close the hatch.
Also replaced the plastic trim on the lower part of the window.

Damn thing still leaks!
I sprayed water lightly around the hatch.
The right side leaks slightly.

Also replaced the trim on the car doors that push against the window.
Doors leak too. Is that normal?
Only reason I'm noticing it is that I've been driving without door panels until I finish gluing the standoffs.

Coyoteh 10-28-2013 04:58 AM

Could it be the seal around the taillight? Sometimes the screws holding it against the body can get stripped as well, which can make the seal less effective.

1996 328ti 10-28-2013 07:50 AM

The drip seems to be higher up.
Water drips down from the rectangular cutout in the carpet.

1996 328ti 11-02-2013 10:37 PM

Took another look at my hatch leak.
Pulled the speakers, carpet and trim panel around the rear seatbelt.
Pulled down the headliner a bit.

Water is still dripping along the body and hatch.
Also noticed a drip from a seam along the C pillar.
JB Welded the seem on the inside and outside.

We'll see.

Did find the drain hoses.
They are working fine.

1996 328ti 11-03-2013 05:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Getting very frustrated to the point I'm considering selling.
Water is not getting through the gasket.

It's getting in some other place.
It still drips through a seam inside the car. See photo.
What doesn't drip there, drips along the body.

1996 328ti 11-18-2013 06:30 PM

Now I think it's a loose seam between the body and inner shell.
I can see water seeping through the seam that is just above the rectangular cutout in the carpet.

I'm going to seal it up and see what happens.
I think I got another leak solved by sealing up some joints.

lazoh 11-18-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1996 328ti (Post 356626)
Now I think it's a loose seam between the body and inner shell.
I can see water seeping through the seam that is just above the rectangular cutout in the carpet.

I'm going to seal it up and see what happens.
I think I got another leak solved by sealing up some joints.

Good job Steve! Do not give up on this car!!

1996 328ti 11-18-2013 10:34 PM

That didn't work!
I still see a drip coming in.
I'm going to silicon the inside now.

Plus I took my 96 ti for a little ride before heading to the track this weekend.
Friggin oil light is flickering at idle. I thought when I changed the oil sender unit that problem was fixed.

bmwtinut 07-16-2015 03:44 AM

Steve,
Did you ever resolve your leak. I have a very similar leak. I am seeing water in the rear passenger storage bin. I have seen dripping from the rectangular opening in the carpet as well. I have seen water running down inside the passenger rear pillar as well. Can't tell where it is coming from though.

BRADESTAR 02-27-2017 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1996 328ti (Post 356115)
Getting very frustrated....

Uhg! I feel like one thing people don't talk about with the TI is the leaks. These things have worse leaks than the Russian state department in the 2016 American election process. and they are hell of frustrating, just the same.

I waited two weeks to get a new boot seal from ECS because water was getting in the hatch. I was happy to see that it seems to be working (after one day of rains), but then found a whole new unnoticed leak in the passenger foot area. Standing water on the door seal, looks like possibly working it's way through the door?, although there isn't much puddling up at the bottom of the door.

My whole interior is out and I'm trying to find the source, but not fun. Maybe another seal that I'll order and wait another two weeks for....blah.

I feel like this is something not often discussed about the body design. I can understand my Calitop being a problem in Seattle, but this hardtop shouldn't be such a pain with the H2O!

spidertri 02-28-2017 03:01 AM

Leaks up front could be the small drains under the car in the floor pan just behind the front wheels. I took compressed air and blew it into the half-moon shaped drains under there when i was getting water in the footwell a couple years ago.

I am now also getting a bit of water in the rear driver side cubby seemingly underneath the hatch seal. I changed the antenna grommet, it was cracking, but that wasnt it.