318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   My '96 318ti - The wrong car for STX (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=39510)

MINIz guy 06-24-2014 07:52 PM

Okay, long time no update.

Been to two autox's so far. Both on Star Specs. Also installed wheel studs and did the rear brakes. The tires have more ability than I do so a couple more events are needed. The rear end is a little twitchy at high speeds, presumably because my rear bushings are worn and move a lot.

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/...46579464_n.jpg

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/...01784842_n.jpg

I have 2 weeks until my next autocross. That means plenty of time to rip apart the intake manifold to do the coolant block and vacuum hoses. Maybe I'll find door panel parts and be able to do that too. I ripped off my door panel handle today so I'll be JB Welding it tomorrow after work.

MINIz guy 06-27-2014 09:15 PM

My biggest undertaking yet. Doing the coolant block and everything else in the way. Haven't even removed the lower intake manifold and already adding more to the repairs list. Dirty injectors!

https://textyserver.appspot.com/medi...9-27d267601b6d

https://textyserver.appspot.com/medi...8-57bff7daf15c

Monkfish 07-09-2014 06:04 PM

you should pick up a pinstripe eraser! it would improve your look for minimal effort and cash outlay.

BimmerBum 07-10-2014 04:37 AM

Nice work. This makes me want to update my build thread.

How are you making out against the BRZ's in STX?

BlackBMWs 07-10-2014 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MINIz guy (Post 363518)
Maybe I'll find door panel parts and be able to do that too. I ripped off my door panel handle today so I'll be JB Welding it tomorrow after work.

Oops, I've been a little busy and I forgot to pack the door panel posts for you. I have them here now and before I seal the box with the window seal, you need posts VL1, VL7, VL9 and VL10 correct?

If that's it, I'll drop it off tomorrow. otherwise, let me know. Cheers, Rich :cool:

MINIz guy 07-10-2014 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BimmerBum (Post 364153)
Nice work. This makes me want to update my build thread.

How are you making out against the BRZ's in STX?

I haven't had as much autox time as I'd like. I missed last weekend's and will be missing this weekend's event due to my no crank no start issue.

I don't think my car has a chance against the Toyobaru twins. I'm prepped so minimally compared to all the cars in my class, and I'm still not done with all the maintenance on my car such as the rear bushings. I still need more seat time to get better and to get used to the car too. I've got a Hotchkis front sway bar (33.4mm hollow) coming in but I may not be able to hit another event before I go back to school. Once I get my front bar and rear bushings replaced, I car will be done and then I'll see how it compares.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackBMWs (Post 364154)
Oops, I've been a little busy and I forgot to pack the door panel posts for you. I have them here now and before I seal the box with the window seal, you need posts VL1, VL7, VL9 and VL10 correct?

If that's it, I'll drop it off tomorrow. otherwise, let me know. Cheers, Rich :cool:

That's correct. Send me a PM on the total and I'll get the payment to you!

BimmerBum 07-10-2014 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MINIz guy (Post 364183)

I don't think my car has a chance against the Toyobaru twins. I'm prepped so minimally compared to all the cars in my class, and I'm still not done with all the maintenance on my car such as the rear bushings. I still need more seat time to get better and to get used to the car too. I've got a Hotchkis front sway bar (33.4mm hollow) coming in but I may not be able to hit another event before I go back to school. Once I get my front bar and rear bushings replaced, I car will be done and then I'll see how it compares.

I fear you may be right. When I finish my Club Sport I plan to get it out to a few autocrosses and maybe the Dixie National event (depending on how I do with it locally). The short version of my Club Sport:

New Dinan Stage 3 Suspension
996 Brembos Front/E34 rear calipers with Hawk HPS Pads
AKG Urethane everywhere
Dinan Chip
Rebuilt LSD
17x8 OZ with 245/40 RS3's

Even with all that and the lack or torque in the BRZ's I don't have high hopes in STX but, I built the car... I have to try right?

MINIz guy 07-10-2014 11:52 PM

I think gearing and power in our cars is the main problem. Weighing 2800 lbs and having only ~140hp/140lb.ft of torque isn't very good for us. Our 2nd gear tops out at 55MPH and we don't have much power in 3rd gear.

An LSD will help this car a lot. I have trouble putting power down in all types of corners.

My setup now:
Bilstein Sport w/ Bav Auto springs
Camber shims
Stock sport sway bar (26mm now & will be Hotchkis 33.4mm soon)
205/50 Star Specs (will be 225/50 once these wear out)

Eventually I'll get new rear bushings (probably rubber since it's cheaper unless I find urethane for a good deal). I also have a poly rear diff bushing still uninstalled. On the list of maybes will be LSD, tune, and rear sway bar.

BimmerBum 07-11-2014 12:06 AM

The 3rd gear up shift is rarely worthwhile on the layouts around here. Software usually bumps red line to 7k which bumps top speed in 2nd to nearly 60 mph. Forget about any added horsepower... the added mph is where it's at.

LSD, fat grippy tires, pads with tons of bite, and a tune are a must for STX in a 318ti.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MINIz guy (Post 364189)
I think gearing and power in our cars is the main problem. Weighing 2800 lbs and having only ~140hp/140lb.ft of torque isn't very good for us. Our 2nd gear tops out at 55MPH and we don't have much power in 3rd gear.

An LSD will help this car a lot. I have trouble putting power down in all types of corners.

My setup now:
Bilstein Sport w/ Bav Auto springs
Camber shims
Stock sport sway bar (26mm now & will be Hotchkis 33.4mm soon)
205/50 Star Specs (will be 225/50 once these wear out)

Eventually I'll get new rear bushings (probably rubber since it's cheaper unless I find urethane for a good deal). I also have a poly rear diff bushing still uninstalled. On the list of maybes will be LSD, tune, and rear sway bar.

MINIz guy 07-11-2014 12:27 AM

I completely agree. I do hesitate on a tune though as I don't want to start paying for 93 octane gas. A big jump up in price, and I'm still a college student.

The 318ti is definitely a momentum car. Fat tires to keep speed up, and good pads to brake as late as possible, will keep the 318ti in contention locally. I'm sure there are a few seconds (!) I could pick up if my setup wasn't "college budget" but "budget racer".

anassa 07-11-2014 05:36 PM

Quick question for you guys, why do you want such fat tires? Like 245/40~~ seems kinda excessive when you don't have the power to rotate the car, and your a on lower speed, corner back to corner course, with such wide tires it will be slower on the transition between corners while a grippy thinner tire should help you transition quicker and the car should rotate better too I think. Also seems like your just dragging extra weight with you too then lol

Besides even the guys that run compact cup run 195/50/15 I think, of course they have full suspension and are lighter too.

Thoughts?

MINIz guy 07-11-2014 07:05 PM

I'm not going to say I know everything about the science of tires, since I don't, but this is what I've gathered from reading around. Use the widest tire the car is capable of heating up. That way, you'll have the most available grip and be able to carry maximum speed through the corners. Of course, a 318ti won't be able to heat up a 275 tire, so that will slow you down. Our cars have enough weight to heat up 225's, and possibly 245's since I've seen some racers use them.

Isn't the compact cup a spec racing class? If it wasn't spec, I think some guys would be running wider tires to gain an advantage over the others.

MINIz guy 07-19-2014 02:29 AM

Back after nearly 3 weeks of being broken. I shorted out the starter when I went to replace the plastic cooling pipe under the intake manifold. Sent it out to a shop to get it fixed for the first time ever. Once I got it back, my Hotchkis front sway bar was installed.

I'm gluing all my door panel posts on, hopefully for the last time too.

I'll probably do an autox in Philly this Sunday and report back on the new mods.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/19/ugusu8ej.jpg

BlackBMWs 07-19-2014 02:39 AM

Andrew, what are you using for glue for the posts? :cool:

MINIz guy 07-19-2014 02:50 AM

Kneels.