318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Engine (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Testing disa valve (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41422)

marleymon 04-19-2015 05:07 AM

Testing disa valve

.:Hola gents...
I'm deep into major surgery on my little hatch. I'm doing the whole cooling system, cabin filter, water pipes, oil mount gasket and bushing, valve cover gaskets etc.
So while cleaning up disa valve, I wondered how to tell if it's good. I looked up YouTube vids and the flap seems to operate as it should. My question is should the flap stay completely shut while covering the vac port hole? Anyone familiar? I have 2 disa valves and they both retract slightly then finish returning to start position when I let off port.
Thanks for any help.

.:Of course I didn't have all parts needed as I hoped, so I'm in a holding pattern with the operation. Everything is going ok except even german micro filters wouldn't stay clipped in (pita]. I got both water pipes back on(real fun).. water pump and thermostat are in.
I'm really nervous of any trickles leaks. That'd be pretty devastating at this point...

Josh

xxxJohnBoyxxx 04-19-2015 07:52 PM

DISA closed under 3,500rpm then opens so all 4 intake runners can flow air in higher RPM.

marleymon 04-19-2015 08:08 PM

Ok is there a way to test on the bench? I was asking about the flap closing when plugging the vent hole. I'm wondering if mine has poor vacume because it closes slowly with the port hole plugged.

xxxJohnBoyxxx 04-19-2015 11:54 PM

It should close kinda slow. When in the intake it gets pulled closed quick by intake air

marleymon 04-20-2015 12:07 AM

Ok cool thanks...

BlackBMWs 06-14-2015 02:42 AM

Question: What happens if the DISA valve dosent open over 3500? :confused:

Sweepy 06-14-2015 01:07 PM

Ok the theory behind disa, it's a twin intake system at low rev's uses the longer path for more tourque at higher revs (over 3.5k) disa opens allowing the air to flow down the short manifold path allowing optimum tourque through the range, rumour through the dealerships is it's about a 10% difference at low revs when it's working right most people don't notice when it goes down

BlackBMWs 06-14-2015 03:23 PM

Testing disa valve

Thanks Mate! So sounds like theoretically, the net effect if it doesn't work properly, is that there is a potential torque loss vs what was engineered.

Thank you. I am trying to help solve a friends power loss issue over 3500 rpm and sorting through possibilities. While this would be an issue, it doesn't should like this is his issue.

Best, Rich. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sweepy 06-15-2015 11:39 AM

It's worth a look check the valve moves could be jammed in the long path position not had a lot to do with disa on petrols pretty reliable it's the disa on diesels (swirl flaps) that suck quite literally In to the engine