318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Electrical (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Where does the Reverse switch wire enter the cabin (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=40044)

BlackBMWs 03-24-2014 04:02 AM

Where does the Reverse switch wire enter the cabin

Installed a Clown Nose mirror off of an E39 530i today. I was lucky to find one with about 4ft of the required wiring still attached. So, I wired 4 of the 5 required wires at the glovebox. No issue. Mirror dims/blues fine. Alarm LED works.

http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/p...psvakpzm5n.jpg

The issue is that I could not locate the Reverse switch wire to tap into. ETK for my 97 says it should be a BL/GR wire from the switch back to the reverse lights. I found two Blue/Green wires under the passenger seat as a few posts have indicated but in the ACC/RUN position, but one has a constant 12v+/- whether it is in reverse or not. The other larger BL/GR wire has no power at all. The reverse lights work just fine. I suspect I am picking up the BL/GR before it gets to the reverse switch.

Anyone else who have wired their mirrors, recollect where specifically you tapped into? Specifically what location under the glovebox or under the passenger seat did you tap?

The dimming works very well, under the right condition it dims in about 30 seconds. I'll compare with the one on my E39. I never noticed if it takes that long as well. Just as a note, I need to see if the Python alarm I have can produce additional output as the led is dimmer than my E39 and does not blink.

Thanks much! :cool:

BlackBMWs 03-26-2014 04:11 AM

An update to my previous question: Does anyone know what signal I should expect in testing for the reverse switch? I'm thinking it may have been the thicker of the two BL/GR wires and while I detected no trigger voltage on the wire perhaps I should be testing for something else.

Figured out the lack of blink is because I don't have a BMW Alpine based alarm. It's a Viper Python and it was set to Valet mode. Looked up the alarm and reset it to normal mode. Blinks now as normal, just about as bright as my E39.

Worthwhile update. My 325i is next. :cool:

xxxJohnBoyxxx 03-31-2014 01:24 AM

On my car 1997 manual shift the reverse switch is on the transmission and controls the rear reverse lights. I'm not sure if a wire enters the cabin unless you are automatic. A bentley will tell which wire goes where.

What do you need the reverse light wiring location for? Just interested, could be a simple rev camera or smoke screen even oil slick to evade chase

BlackBMWs 03-31-2014 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxxJohnBoyxxx (Post 361106)
On my car 1997 manual shift the reverse switch is on the transmission and controls the rear reverse lights. I'm not sure if a wire enters the cabin unless you are automatic. A bentley will tell which wire goes where.

What do you need the reverse light wiring location for? Just interested, could be a simple rev camera or smoke screen even oil slick to evade chase

Hi John! to automate the tire spikes and chaff in a quick run away. :rolleyes:

Nah, just the trigger for the auto dimming mirror. I also have a 97 manual. ETK, Bentley and forums indicate it is a Blue wire with a green stripe. I assume it is not constant 12v, as one Blue/GR wire is presenting, so my other BL/GR wire choice has no current either in reverse or out of reverse, yet the rear lights will responding accordingly if in reverse or not. I assume the switch on the tranny will close in reverse providing 12v, yet I don't see any state change either in reverse or out of reverse.

I'm not the brightest bulb when it comes to electrical work. Sensing current it the extent of my working knowledge. :frown: Seeking to get better tho to tackle heated seats for the TI and my vert. :cool:

fco.cortes 07-03-2014 09:30 AM

dude I'm planning buying a autodim mirror as yours... so I can see there is not problem with the mounting? most mirrors in ebay have similar connector to the windshield but i was not really sure about it, i would take your way, trying to find an e39's.. thnks ford sharing

AnuketTi 07-03-2014 04:33 PM

Looks like it's time to bust out the Oval Mirror hiding in my garage somewhere. Will this mod work on a 1995 per chance?

BlackBMWs 07-03-2014 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnuketTi (Post 363925)
Looks like it's time to bust out the Oval Mirror hiding in my garage somewhere. Will this mod work on a 1995 per chance?

Good Morning Michael!

I will be doing this mod on Serene's 95 TI. I'm using a clown nose mirror off a E39 to get the alarm LED up high. I have one to install for the Cali and need to find one more for the 95. I have a few non-clown nose self dimming mirrors if you need one. :cool:

AnuketTi 07-03-2014 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackBMWs (Post 363931)
Good Morning Michael!

I will be doing this mod on Serene's 95 TI. I'm using a clown nose mirror off a E39 to get the alarm LED up high. I have one to install for the Cali and need to find one more for the 95. I have a few non-clown nose self dimming mirrors if you need one. :cool:

Hiya Rich!

I have an M5 Oval mirror buried somewhere in that garage of mine (I believe). I'm going to try to use that one. I am sure I have a Clown Nose E39 mirror laying around as well you can have.

Marv17 07-06-2014 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackBMWs (Post 363931)
Good Morning Michael!

Quote:

Originally Posted by fco.cortes (Post 363916)
dude I'm planning buying a autodim mirror as yours... so I can see there is not problem with the mounting? most mirrors in ebay have similar connector to the windshield but i was not really sure about it, i would take your way, trying to find an e39's.. thnks ford sharing

any of the 740iL and 540i mirrors will work...actually any BMW mirror will work. They all mount the same way. I have one on my ti as well... I connected the reverse wire for the mirror to a switch though. My switch acts as a dual purpose switch, when pressed in it allows for the EWS signal to go to the DME and crank the car when i turn the key and it also gives power to the reverse wire to the mirror so it clears up (stops the dimming). Reason I have it this way is because I had it as an automatic and swapped a manual tranny.

fco.cortes 07-08-2014 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marv17 (Post 363990)
any of the 740iL and 540i mirrors will work...actually any BMW mirror will work. They all mount the same way. I have one on my ti as well... I connected the reverse wire for the mirror to a switch though. My switch acts as a dual purpose switch, when pressed in it allows for the EWS signal to go to the DME and crank the car when i turn the key and it also gives power to the reverse wire to the mirror so it clears up (stops the dimming). Reason I have it this way is because I had it as an automatic and swapped a manual tranny.

ok, thnks for reply. But my question goes to the connection.. which wires do I have to plug in to dome light? also I would like to use the nose clown, do you know the wire color for those?

thnks

BlackBMWs 07-08-2014 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fco.cortes (Post 364080)
ok, thnks for reply. But my question goes to the connection.. which wires do I have to plug in to dome light? also I would like to use the nose clown, do you know the wire color for those?

thnks

http://bimmerboard.com/members/clex2...ring%20DIY.doc This is what I used. :cool:

Marv17 07-08-2014 05:18 AM

Ah. I can't remember what the wires were. I'll try to find that thread on bimmerforums I used. I have it all wired up but don't want to take it apart. Haha. Sorry. I'll get back to you

Marv17 07-08-2014 05:27 AM

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=2043380

Check out that link. That's what I read and followed.

BlackBMWs 04-15-2015 07:45 AM

Still looking to connect the reverse wire into the right place on the ti. I have Clown nose and auto dimming working just fine. :cool:

Sweepy 04-15-2015 07:52 PM

Isn't it in the bunches by the steering coloum blue/yellow

http://wedophones.com/Manuals/BMW/19...g%20Manual.pdf

Page 180