318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Air Filters/Intakes (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Intake Manifold Question (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14981)

Viper3812 03-20-2007 05:57 PM

Intake Manifold Question

I'm going to take apart the upper part of the manifold so I can get to the ICV and my question is: Do I have to take the Throttle body off the manifold or can I take the manifold off with the TB still on it? Also, do I need new gaskets to replace after I take them apart? When I install the new gasket do I just put it in and it seals on it's own or do I have to put some type of glue on it? Dumb questions, but thanks for the help.

campaiar 03-20-2007 06:32 PM

I had mine apart several times. No need to remove the TB, just unhook all the hoses attached to it and move it aside. You don't need to remove the throttle and cruise control cables, just the rubber hoses and electrical connections and bolts then swing it out of the way.

Remember where everything goes, or tag everything you disconnect. After you clean the ICV a couple of times, you get the hang of it.

I reused the gasket everytime. Its a pretty tough one and should be fine.

bullmand 03-20-2007 06:39 PM

I'm not super familiar with the layout of the engine compartment on the '95s, but why do you need to take the manifold apart to get the ICV off? Look at this diagram.

You can't reach #7 without disassembling the manifold?

Viper3812 03-20-2007 08:13 PM

I saw the diagram before then looked under the hood and it is located just behind the throttle body so it looks like the only way I can reach it is by taking the upper part of the manifold off.

bullmand 03-20-2007 08:25 PM

That sucks. On the M44 it's right on the front of the throttle body. Good luck with your project.

mohaughn 03-20-2007 08:29 PM

I guess if you have small hands you might be able to reach up in there and disconnect the hoses without taking the top off of the manifold. But the only way I see to do it is to remove it.

I thought I had read instructions for doing the same thing on the M44 and it was very similiar.

Viper- If you are going to take that off you might as well think about putting in new air hoses, new intake boot, and there is that one plastic coolant pipe that people recommend replacing when you install a DASC. If you take the manifold off might as well do the other stuff.

Viper3812 03-20-2007 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mohaughn (Post 111755)
Viper- If you are going to take that off you might as well think about putting in new air hoses, new intake boot, and there is that one plastic coolant pipe that people recommend replacing when you install a DASC. If you take the manifold off might as well do the other stuff.

Really? Why you say that?

mohaughn 03-20-2007 09:06 PM

Mine are starting to dry rot. If you have the original hoses replacing them while the manifold is off may keep you from having to pull the manifold off again in a year or two when one of those hoses fails.

Viper3812 03-20-2007 10:15 PM

Thanks for the input and help.