318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Differentials (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   318ti LSD or E30 LSD (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5296)

Dredder 04-23-2005 11:44 PM

318ti LSD or E30 LSD

I am debating what to get. Currently i have an open differential on my 318ti M3 swap. Whats do you guys think i should get. E30 with modified axles or 318ti LSD. I would rather go with mcoupe/roadster rear subframe but they are very rare to find.

maurolin 04-24-2005 12:40 AM

well... if you have the source and the funds... get the M coupe.
Otherwise.... stay simple and get a 3.25 E30 LSD and E30 axels. works fine for me.

Dredder 04-24-2005 01:19 AM

exacly what part of the E30 axle is used?

maurolin 04-24-2005 07:20 AM

Bro. I used THE WHOLE thing. What you read on the write ups is correct to an extend. BUT the ONLY reason he used part of the stock and part of the Ti's axels (hybrid axels) is because he was not able to fint an E30 set in GOOD SHAPE.

Remember.... don't cut corners... if you are planning to get some power out of the S50 do it right. Do it ONCE.
On BMW swaps, NOTHING IS "NEW", I mean people have triyed and done it pretty much all... so trying to "come up" with a new idea is really a waste of time. (not in all cases.. I mean, talking about diffs, etc... and if you have the cash, you can do it all!)

if you source E30 axels, please let me know... I'd like to have a set for spares.

Dredder 04-24-2005 08:32 AM

Can you send me a picture of your extra E30 axles. I might be interested. I was looking at the diffrential write up under the notebook section. If you compare the E30 to 318ti. The e30 is alitlle longer dont you think. I thought for this swap to work you only needed the inner cv joint from the E30 to make a hybrid axle (e30 inner cv and the rest 318ti). Isnt that the reason the hybrid axles was used so that it can be bolted up to the E30 differential........
Send pics to tad@dynamictransmedia.com

GDB 04-24-2005 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maurolin
Bro. I used THE WHOLE thing. What you read on the write ups is correct to an extend. BUT the ONLY reason he used part of the stock and part of the Ti's axels (hybrid axels) is because he was not able to fint an E30 set in GOOD SHAPE.

Remember.... don't cut corners... if you are planning to get some power out of the S50 do it right. Do it ONCE.
On BMW swaps, NOTHING IS "NEW", I mean people have triyed and done it pretty much all... so trying to "come up" with a new idea is really a waste of time. (not in all cases.. I mean, talking about diffs, etc... and if you have the cash, you can do it all!)

if you source E30 axels, please let me know... I'd like to have a set for spares.

I just picked up an E30 diff. and was wondering if there is any reason to not just order a new set of E30 axles. From what I have read there is not reason they will not work as long as I shim the ABS sensor.

Dredder 04-24-2005 08:47 AM

Let me know cause either the write up is outdated or just have minor flaws. To me the E30 looks a little longer. I dont know :(. If it bolts write up without any modifications, then your best bet is just to purchase a newer axles. Let me know your experience..

cali-ti 04-24-2005 02:53 PM

i'm in process of this swap right now. once completed, i can tell you exactly what i needed and what i did (compared to the write up).

here's what i've done so far:

1) get used E30 3.73 LSD
2) ordered used E30 half shafts
3) ordered a crapload of new mounting hardware, M coupe finned diff cover, speed sensor, etc
4) clean it up and paint it (see my thread that i started for covering that)
*** insert tremendous help and experience of my best friend from here down ***
5) remove half shaft flanges and seals, install new ones
6) remove old diff cover, clean up mounting surface on diff (all old gasket material, etc), spray new gasket (both sides) and all mounting bolts with high-tac, install new M coupe finned diff cover
7) remove halfshaft hub nut lock ring and nut (they were rusted in there like you wouldn't believe, my friend worked those out and then used an impact wrench to break the nuts free while i worked on the diff)

that's as far as i've gotten so far, have to drop the exhaust and then finish up the diff job today ... then install the new superspring exhaust too :)

Dredder 04-24-2005 10:27 PM

Let me know if you just bolted up the E30 axles without modifications. If it bolts on the 318ti then im probably going this route while a complete mcoupe subframe comes my way:) someday

maurolin 04-24-2005 11:37 PM

guys... this subject is SOOO worn out! let me brake it down

Listen, E30 axels bolt on FINE! All you need to do is SPACE OUT THE ABS SENSORS WITH 3 "O" rings. (I used Air Cond. O ring gaskets... yes! $0.25 e/a the green ones!!)

DO IT RIGHT! DO IT ONCE!

KIRASIR 04-25-2005 04:08 AM

I swapped mine right after Constant did his diff. Didn't have to do any ABS sensor spacing. Just make sure you unbolt the ABS sensors before you install the e30 half-shafts.

SL

Quote:

Originally Posted by maurolin
guys... this subject is SOOO worn out! let me brake it down

Listen, E30 axels bolt on FINE! All you need to do is SPACE OUT THE ABS SENSORS WITH 3 "O" rings. (I used Air Cond. O ring gaskets... yes! $0.25 e/a the green ones!!)

DO IT RIGHT! DO IT ONCE!

Dredder 04-25-2005 07:04 AM

Kirasir:

Thanks for the clarification. I guesss I will be going this route until i find something better (eg. Mcoupe). So all I need to do is unbolt the abs sensor before installing the E30 axles. I probably make a trip to a local junkyard next weekend or so.
I've been busy this weekend. Finally got my 6cyl gauge cluster working properly. I made sure I wired the mpg gauge right. I took a few picture of the process. I probably make a step by step write up with pictures. The direction i got from DIY was kinda confusing. Stay tune...

Constant 04-25-2005 05:52 PM

Not to beat a dead horse, but I just wanted to clarify. I originally did the E30/318ti hybrid axles because the ABS pulse ring on my used E30 axles were in bad shape.

I have since switched to E30 325i axles, and they work fine. Like Serge, I didn't have to use a spacer on the ABS sensor. But I've also heard that some people did, so YMMV.

Constant

pdxmotorhead 04-25-2005 05:57 PM

Sounds like if three people who have done this from start to finish would
get together and write up a basic checklist of what works it could be sticky
in the drive train section and folk who need it could sort out myth from legend.

I know that I've been considering the rear gear swap and it
was an item I was wondering about as well....
:)

Dave

L84THSKY 04-25-2005 06:33 PM

That is exactly why I have waited to jump into this project!
When I'm sure I understand what needs to be done, then I'll get right on it.

The last thing I need is to drive to my brother's house, put it on a lift, tear it out, and then realize I don't have what I need to finish the job.
This is my only car, I can't afford any down time. :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
SOunds like if three people who have done this from start to finish would
get together and write up a basic checklist of what works it could be sticky
in the drive train section and folk woh need it could sout out myth from legend.

:)

Dave