318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Engine Swaps (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   No Traction Control on a s52 swap? (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13568)

96cali 12-12-2006 05:33 AM

No Traction Control on a s52 swap?

I am looking at aquiring a '97 Ti with S52 swap. The current owner says that traction control is not possible to keep when you do a swap. Is this true to anyone's knowledge? Can you elaborate why? Maybe the donor M3 did not have it? The swap was done by a very reputable shop in Boston.

No ASC scares me a little because even in Cincinnati we get some snow and icy conditions. Is this insane for winter driving even with Blizzaks?

Thanks for your help!

Panzer_M 12-12-2006 07:09 AM

Bah, I got no TC now in the Club Sport and it scares me sometimes.

but other times it's better than sex with a supermodel.

cosmos schwarz 12-12-2006 01:08 PM

i plan to do a swap in april next year, with no t/c in the plans. i think it would be impossible also, or very very expensive.

Rich 12-12-2006 01:42 PM

The swap I am doing at the moment does not include ASC.

It would require a new ABS unit, extra brake line to the back and probably a fair bit of wiring.

I'm plan on getting my hands on an LSD. At the moment I am thinking of a 3.15 ratio.

cosmos schwarz 12-12-2006 01:58 PM

rich, you'll defo need an lsd for your 2.8, how much you wanna spend? i'm also looking. the kaaz 1.5 way replacement sounds good, but what about that 750 quid price tag!!!! splumph :(

J!m 12-12-2006 02:22 PM

ASC is posible, but not cheaply done.

The entire wiring harness must be removed from the donor car, and installed into the ti. The aforementioned brake line must be added, ABS pump/manifold changed and the brakes up-graded to the m3 parts front and rear to keep bias correct. Possible, but expensive and not worhth the effort in my opinion, as the system is not the best to begin with.

Best thing to do is park the swapped car when it snows. This is what I do... Get a winter-beater!

campaiar 12-12-2006 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J!m (Post 98853)
Best thing to do is park the swapped car when it snows. This is what I do... Get a winter-beater!

Bah, I drove mine in the snow last week, no winter tires, no ASC. It was fine.

Tyler 12-12-2006 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by campaiar (Post 98859)
Bah, I drove mine in the snow last week, no winter tires, no ASC. It was fine.

Not to bust your balls or anything But...

That .01 inches of snow you got in Cincinnati last week is not going to affect your driving ability and if it does you do not belong on the road..

campaiar 12-12-2006 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyler (Post 98861)
Not to bust your balls or anything But...

That .01 inches of snow you got in Cincinnati last week is not going to affect your driving ability and if it does you do not belong on the road..

...and that is precisely the amount of snow Cali will need to worry about in Cincinnati. :wink:

96cali 12-12-2006 09:49 PM

Actually that .1 inches of snow turned into .1 inches of sheet ice for much of the morning commute last Thursday. Took me 2 hours to drive the 16 miles to my daughters school (normally 22 minutes on a good day). I saw 2 uphill freeway exits blocked by semis and SUVs that could not get up a shallow grade. I saw a lady almost plow into a semi that was creeping down an on ramp because she was going 20mph. From what I can tell Cincinnati drivers suck in the winter- they were all over the place like winter just caught them off guard. That is more of what I'm concerned with to tell you the truth.

FWIW I grew up in Wisconsin, college in Cincinnati, moved to Minneapolis, then Cleveland, then Cincinnati again 3mos ago. I got my winter driving merit badge long ago :tongue: but I also have a 3 yo child to safeguard too. Just have never driven an S52 and the pressure is on from the wife to "love it if you buy it".

The good news is that 2 hour commute made me find a fast 2 lane road with lots of twisties that is only 1 mile longer than the highway route. Almost makes me want to take her to school now. :biggrin:

Funny ending to that morning: we're finally in normal traffic at a stoplight when a gray Toyota Yaris pulls up next to me and I think to myself "heh, that's a funny looking car, heh". Not 5 seconds later my 3 y.o. daughter busts out laughing and "What dat cawr?!? Dat funny daddy!!" I told her it was a Yaris. Then she wanted to know the names of all the other cars around us. I'm so proud.

FATHER 12-13-2006 03:44 AM

Mine is supercharger and i delete de t/c for install my custom intake, but in Puerto Rico we not have snow

Rich 12-13-2006 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmos schwarz (Post 98852)
rich, you'll defo need an lsd for your 2.8, how much you wanna spend? i'm also looking. the kaaz 1.5 way replacement sounds good, but what about that 750 quid price tag!!!! splumph :(

Yeah, thats a bit much! I think i'll keep my eyes open for a second hand LSD. should be a bit cheaper.

Snow isn't really an issue in the south of the UK, although if it does snow once every 7 years; even the smallest amount it causes absolute chaos as loads of people have no clue how to drive in the snow.

Kraln 12-13-2006 06:10 PM

Plan on becoming very intimate with the limits of your car if you're used to having traction control. Being poorly prepared will lead you to a bad place.

Rich 12-13-2006 10:34 PM

I think traction control is good as a drivers aid, if you get caught is a hairy situation it can help you out. However as the bmw manual says "Ye cannae change the laws of physics.'" (well thats near enough what it says)

roadrash 12-13-2006 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 99076)
(well thats near enough what it says)

Actually... it says....