318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Engine Swaps (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   help: m50 in ti (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23959)

RHRsharpie325ti 10-10-2008 12:43 AM

help:wiring m50 swap in a ti

so i have the swap almost complete with exeption of the wiring anf a few misc items. the m50 is from a 1995 325is and its now installed into a 1997 318ti. the only issue im having is with the wiring from the m50 engine harness to the body harness of the ti.

if anyone has a pin out of the two engines and o diagrams that would help post them up

thanks in advance

Philly 10-10-2008 12:15 PM

so you need to get your swap back to OBDI?
check out Bluebimmas thread here if you can sift through all the pages, I believe it has information on how to do it, and its not that difficult IIRC. All the other wiring should be plug and play (twist off caps)

did you take care of the EWS and everything else?

RHRsharpie325ti 10-10-2008 03:05 PM

as far as the wiring goes im pretty much starting from the begining. ive got a complete harness from both engines, the engine has been cranked (my buddy neglected to remember the ews module) so will i still be able to bypass that without any issues? also i now have a scematic to the 318ti to use as a refrence. all thats left of the swap is converting the obd1 m50 to the obd2 318ti and bolting on the front end and if i can finish it tonight the entire swap from blown m44 to m50 will be a grand total of 3 days and way under budget. btw what can someone expect to do this swap for?

campaiar 10-10-2008 04:17 PM

Swap costs are all over the board. Depends on the engine you went with, how many of the swap parts you got with the engine, how many things you broke along the way, etc.

EWS can be bypassed. Plenty of info on that around.

Plenty of info on ODBII to ODBI. Not sure about the other way though. Most go II to I because its easier to tune.

Philly 10-12-2008 12:19 AM

EWSII cannot be bypassed easily.. it has to be deleted from the DME. If its easier than that, then I paid way too much to have it removed from the DME :P

Not sure if you have EWSII with your 95 motor though.

Did you find the "how-to" in Blue's thread on how to convert OBDII back to OBDI yet?
Keep us posted!

RHRsharpie325ti 10-12-2008 07:24 PM

thansks for the info on the obdII to obd I conversion. i completed this wiring and seem to be getting fuel but no spark. any ideas? could this be the ews?

also i will post up some pics of the swap from start to finish just for fun

Mallard 10-12-2008 07:57 PM

pump priming but no spark, sounds like ews to dme to me

Bluebimma 10-12-2008 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluebimma (Post 158540)
For those who need the info.

OBDI engine+harness to OBDII chassis.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...wap/wiring.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...ap/wiring2.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...ap/wiring3.jpg

It rehashes itself, so dont get confused.

Cut #7 on X20 Main harness - Mine was Lime Green

Cut #8 on X20 Main harnees, attach to #1 on the X6031 harness - Forgot what color that was on my car, but it attaches to the Grey wire on the smaller connector.

Next steps are just for the X6031 Smaller Harness.

Wire #14, White and Black stripe must be connected to the Blue clipped harness behind the instrument cluster. All i did was run a wire from #2 wire on the Blue connector, for the cluster, to #14 on the X6031 harness. Not sure if i actually cut the line at #14, or just spliced it...im sure i cut and wired it to it.

Other than that, there are no other mods to the harness that i know of.

The 6cyl OBDI cluster will enable the Check Engine Light as well as the "Stomp Pedal" diagnostic that you can find on bimmerforums.

^

Philly 10-13-2008 06:39 AM

hmmm.... fuel, but no spark? that doesn't sound like EWS to me... at least not EWSII.

When I was having issues with my EWS... it would crank over, but I would get no fuel nor would I get any spark...

Is the wiring harness setup for a rear battery? If so, its possible to confuse all the power wires and end up grounding one by mistake, there should be 3 power wires.

Before you get too concerned, if it is a EWS issue, then it is easy to get rid of on OBDI cars. Im sure there is some bypass information out there, or if you don't want to go that way, I believe TurnerMotorsport has a EWS delete chip for OBDI DME's and its under $200.

RHRsharpie325ti 10-13-2008 07:25 AM

im almost positive that i have the power and ground correct but i only found the main power and starter power wire. whats the third supposed to be?

also im confused in the step labeled as #30 the connector pictured is among none that came on either harness(318ti and 325is)

Bluebimma 10-13-2008 03:04 PM

Dont cut that connector off like it says to do, its very much so unneeded. Ill get you pics in a few minutes, you dont have the power and grounds right from the sound of it.

Bluebimma 10-13-2008 04:33 PM

Thought i had my camera here with me, but i guess not.

RHRsharpie325ti 10-13-2008 06:57 PM

the car is set up for a front battery and there are two power wires connected to it wich looks right comapred to the diagram posted (thanks Bluebimma)

the only thing i think i need to figure out is the main connectors. i obviously dont have the automatic connector but the one small connector i have from the ti only has 4 wires in it as opposed to bluebimma's that had eight wires. and i only have two large connectors on the 325is engine harness, the x20 and another with only four wires but there different colors that the smaller one from the ti

Bluebimma 10-13-2008 07:08 PM

The really small one on the drivers side is for the MAF sensor.

If you take a pic of what you have right now, i can draw on the pic for you.

Philly 10-13-2008 08:00 PM

just to clarify on the power wires, i don't know if its just an OBDII thing, or a M52 thing in my case...
but when I said setup for a rear battery, i meant was the M50 motor setup for a rear battery in the 325 it came from, not your Ti.

Id have another look at the power/grounds.

The 3 power wires I had were -
A) starter
B) main and cabin functions (so it seemed anyways)
C) and then the one I had grounded by accident seemed to control the DME functions, like fuel pump, spark, etc.

If its got any RED on the wire at all, its power.