318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Exterior (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   FIX: Loose California Roof w/Pics (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=32338)

TroyAndEddie 12-16-2010 07:45 PM

FIX: Loose California Roof w/Pics

4 Attachment(s)
So you have a California Roof and you find it's a little loose; maybe some gaps on the sides. You're frustrated with the potential of leaks and unsightliness.

Well, do I have the fix for you!

It just so happens that a 40mph crosswind ripped the back end of my top off while driving. It prompted me find out why that happened, and replace what was missing/broken back there.

Photo #1 shows the rear of the roof off after the wind pulled it.

Photo #2 shows how the roof is connected to the roof frame: by three star (inverted torx) bolts. That's where I found my problem. The nuts that hold the roof to the frame were not there. That allowed the wind to lift the back of it off, and it also explained why my roof did not stay tight along the sides.

Photo #3 shows the torx screws (size T-20) that holds the belts in place. These belts tighten down the roof when it's closed and keep in flat. You'll need to loosen these bolts to do adjustments.

Photo#4 shows the rear of the roof reinstalled and the hole the star bolts go through.

(cont.)

TroyAndEddie 12-16-2010 07:54 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Photo #1 shows the nut attached to the star bolt. I used washers, too. Attach nuts to all 3 star bolts, but don't tighten yet.

Photo #2 is a wide view of the area. Notice I had to loosen the rear of the California Roof headliner to do this work. You don't need to completely remove the headliner part, just the rear bar. I'll explain that below.

Photo #3 and #4 show the proper spacing for the front and rear of the roof. To do this you'll loosen (but not remove) the nuts on the 3 star bolts and loosen the belts. Then, close the roof completely. Explained further below.

Photo #5 I pull the slack from the belt and tighten the torx screws down.

TroyAndEddie 12-16-2010 08:19 PM

Okay, now the instructions. (Note: You don't have to remove the rear of the roof) :rolleyes:

Step 1:
Open your roof up about 8-10 inches. This gives you the slack to make the proper adjustments. You do not have to disconnect the roof motor to do any of this.

Step 2:
Remove the rear portion of the California Roof headliner. Rotate the skinny bar that holds it in place to the roof and slide/pry it out. It's in there good, so be prepared to tug slightly. It helped me to pull away the trim ring that surrounds the headliner and roof.

Step 3:
Loosen (don't remove) the 3 nuts that connect the actual roof to the roof frame. They're screwed onto star (inverted torx) bolts. If you're unfortunate like me, you didn't have nuts. Which is why I'm doing this to being with. (Size M5-0.8) 8mm nuts.

Step 4:
Loosen the belts (size T-20 screws). DO NOT allow the belt to completely come off the bracket. Also, you do not have to completely unscrew the bracket, just loosen so the belt moves freely.

Step 5:
Close the roof completely.

Step 6:
Now adjust the front and real seal edges outside to ensure the spacing is equal. You do this by adjusting the 3 nuts on the star screws. You will also need to slightly open and re-close the roof a couple times while adjusting. This allows the roof to reset to your adjustments.
If it's too close to the back seal, use a flat head screwdriver (or similar tool) on the inside of the car (metal roof frame and metal part of the roof) to pry the rear of the roof forward just a nudge. DO NOT use the flathead on the exterior of the roof - you can rip the seal. Once your seal gaps are about the same, leave the roof closed and jump back inside.
**NOTE: There is an actual proper distance for these gaps that you can look up in the California Roof pdf files hosted on this site somewhere. This is the measurement I settled on since I did not have access to the internet while fixing this.

Step 7:
Make sure the 3 nuts are now snug, and that your spacing is still good. If you look at the roof from the outside, you shouldn't have any looseness in the roof along the sides now. If you do, it should be very, very little (barely noticable).

Step 8:
Pull the belts as tight as possible and secure them by tightening the T-20 torx screws.

That's it! Open the roof fully and close it again to test. Once done, replace the headliner and you have a roof that doesn't have gaps.
Yay for accidental education!

TroyAndEddie 12-16-2010 08:49 PM

California Roof files

TroyAndEddie 12-16-2010 09:04 PM

To sum it all up: the belts and nuts in the rear control how tight your roof is. If the belts and/or nuts are loose (or in my case, missing), your roof will be loose.

BlackBMWs 07-01-2014 08:29 PM

old thread, nice write up. I learned a bit more today. Thank you! :cool: