318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Engine (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Loss of power, engine vibration and squeal squeak noise (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=39068)

bmwtinut 09-09-2013 10:59 PM

Loss of power, engine vibration and squeal squeak noise

Well I haves 1995 318ti club sport, 190k on it. Owned it since 1995 with50k on it. Just had the clutch replaced 2k ago. I have noticed that when the engine is cold in the morn and when I leave work that there is a real lack of power especially around 2000 to 3000 rpm. Feels like a flat spot in the power. I have also been getting a squeal/sleek noise. I though maybe that the engine was pinging. It would go away once the engine was warmed up. But when cold it didn't want to rev smoothly through this range. Felt like someone threw an anchor behind the car.
Now two weeks ago I changed the plugs, new bav auto spark plug wires, new valve cover gaskets. Seemed to run a little better but not for long. Then last week I put in a new O2 sensor and upgraded BMW transmission from bimmerbum. The only change now is that when I rev the engine I get a ba vibration from 2500 to 3000. I can feel the engine vibrations more in the cabin as well. Still have the flat spot in the power.

Suggestions??

teen ti 09-10-2013 03:35 AM

could be the motor mounts

BRADESTAR 09-10-2013 04:56 AM

I'd check belts and pulleys.......and then start warming the car up.

bmwtinut 09-10-2013 07:40 PM

I figured the engine mounts might be causing the vibration as I had 190 on the original transmission mounts and they were soaked in oil and now I have put in nice stiff rubber mounts.
I am more concerned with the loss of power sluggishness that happens when not warmed up. One though is changing the temp sensor and knock sensors. The only other sensors that I have not touched is the crank sensor and cam sensor.

BMW_Hatchback 09-10-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwtinut (Post 353654)
I figured the engine mounts might be causing the vibration as I had 190 on the original transmission mounts and they were soaked in oil and now I have put in nice stiff rubber mounts.
I am more concerned with the loss of power sluggishness that happens when not warmed up. One though is changing the temp sensor and knock sensors. The only other sensors that I have not touched is the crank sensor and cam sensor.

I'd inspect those for wear, also do a smoke test and a pressure test if you can

bmwtinut 09-11-2013 04:01 AM

So how are you doing the smoke test? Do you have a DIY machine? And what pressure would I be testing.?

bmwtinut 11-18-2013 07:39 PM

Had a shop do the smoke test when the car was in for inspection and they found nothing. One thing that was found was the temp sensor in the MAF. It was cleared several times and kept on pointing to that. Got a rebuilt AFM from BMW and put that in. Running better with out the flat spot but still getting this chirping/squeal sound when under load when the car is not fully warmed up. Any other Suggestions??

Tommy Samuels 11-18-2013 10:08 PM

chirp / squeal. I'd look at changing the belt and tensioner

inspect the belt for wear and cracking. A smooth glossy surface on the ribs of the belt means it's well past time to replace.