318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Engine (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Water Pump Stewart fit? (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=38832)

surechap 07-26-2013 10:17 PM

Water Pump Stewart fit?

My dealer is going to charge me $114 for the oem water pump. So I'm looking at better options I've looked up Stewart, but their website doesn't list the M44. Does the Stewart water pump fit?

Which water pump should I get? Here are the choices I've found.

Graf $50-60
Hepu $80-90
OEM re-manufactured $114
Stewart $190-200 does it fit?

jca 07-27-2013 04:23 AM

I can't remember which brand is on my car. Just be sure to get a pump with a metal impeller. I would avoid the oem rebuilt one...very overpriced. I kinda think that Stewart has a pump that fits the M44. You might check with some parts houses like Pelican, Turner Motorsports, etc. The next time I change pumps, I'm going to get a Stewart if it fits.

BimmerBum 07-27-2013 05:23 AM

Stewart does NOT make a pump for the M42 or M44. The Stewart Pump does NOT fit the M42 or M44. Full disclosure... I am an authorized EMP Stewart dealer.

For the M42/M44 I use (and sell) the OEM German made Geba pumps. They have a cast metal impeller. I sell them for half of what the dealer wants to charge for a composite impeller pump.

BimmerBum 08-01-2013 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surechap (Post 352126)
Update: I went with the Graf one, I got to say I'm quite impressed the impellers are solid metal. It wasn't like the Graf water pumps I've seen.

I purchased mine at Autohausaz.

http://www.oembimmerparts.com/v/vspf...9GRAFE36-2.jpg

The Graf pumps are my second choice. They are nice, but the impeller is sheet metal tacked together. The Geba pumps have a one piece cast impeller that is much better quality. Either way, you should be fine.

surechap 08-01-2013 11:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BimmerBum (Post 352127)
The Graf pumps are my second choice. They are nice, but the impeller is sheet metal tacked together. The Geba pumps have a one piece cast impeller that is much better quality. Either way, you should be fine.

Update: I went with the Graf one, I got to say I'm quite impressed the impellers, they are solid metal. It wasn't like the Graf water pumps I've seen.

I purchased mine at Autohausaz.

This is the one with the sheet metal impellers,
http://www.oembimmerparts.com/v/vspf...9GRAFE36-2.jpg
and this is the one I just got today. Sorry, you replied quicker than I could post images. Yes, I think the Geba are better made, with Graf it's a gamble I got the solid metal impellers.

spidertri 08-02-2013 01:03 AM

I've yet to see a cast water pump that flows better than any of the 3 stock versions.

BimmerBum 08-02-2013 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spidertri (Post 352132)
I've yet to see a cast water pump that flows better than any of the 3 stock versions.

3 stock versions?

What method are you using to test flow?

spidertri 08-02-2013 02:46 AM

1st version - plastic impeller, shattered from fatigue. 2nd version - sheet metal impeller, 3rd version - composite (brown color) impeller. Composite is still OE today and was the final fix. Composite is also about 0.5lb lighter than the sheet (and cast) metal which helps extend the bearing life.

Mainly using my eyes to test flow, lol. Cast impeller has rough, smaller sized ports. Unless you are running an overdrive pulley the pump isn't spinning any faster so how could it have the same flow as an OE pump?

I don't understand the immediate thinking that metal MUST be better. Yes, they screwed up on the plastic one but BMW also never made an OE cast version.

You'd probably have to post-machine the casting to get even and smooth ports. It was easier to do the sheet metal as a quick solid fix when all the plastics were exploding. Then back to a lighter, more durable, and most likely less expensive composite version.

BimmerBum 08-02-2013 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spidertri (Post 352136)
1st version - plastic impeller, shattered from fatigue. 2nd version - sheet metal impeller, 3rd version - composite (brown color) impeller. Composite is still OE today and was the final fix. Composite is also about 0.5lb lighter than the sheet (and cast) metal which helps extend the bearing life.

Mainly using my eyes to test flow, lol. Cast impeller has rough, smaller sized ports. Unless you are running an overdrive pulley the pump isn't spinning any faster so how could it have the same flow as an OE pump?

I don't understand the immediate thinking that metal MUST be better. Yes, they screwed up on the plastic one but BMW also never made an OE cast version.

You'd probably have to post-machine the casting to get even and smooth ports. It was easier to do the sheet metal as a quick solid fix when all the plastics were exploding. Then back to a lighter, more durable, and most likely less expensive composite version.

You are probably right about the new OE pumps with the composite impeller being better than the 1st generation plastic impeller pumps. That said, both the plastic and composite pumps will likely fail the same way (without warning and by distributing pieces of the impeller into the cooling system while not cooling the engine at all) I still pass on anything but a metal impeller pump.

Between the metal impeller pumps I prefer the cast impeller because the sheet metal impeller looks like it is very low quality. I used to get sheet metal impeller pumps in with bent impellers all the time.

As for flow... have you seen how small the channels on the impeller of a Stewart pump are? I agree the cast pump could probably benefit from some post casting machine work I believe it is more than sufficient and I am not convinced (without real data) that it flows any less than the sheet metal impeller pump.

Bearing life... Maybe the plastic/impeller pump could benefit from a heavier impeller in the hopes that the bearing will fail before the impeller self destructs.

It's all speculation anyway... No matter what pump you have, if it has 50k or more on it you may want to consider ordering yourself another now ;)