318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Dropping the front (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=31329)

frankie 08-10-2010 09:52 PM

Dropping the front

i dont know if its just my ti but it seems like the front end of the car is too lifted. it just looks a bit funky. the other day my car got strapped down on the flat bed, the front end was pulled down and the whole gar just looked good. is there anyway to drop the front an inch or two at a reasonable price without screwing anything up. everything on this ti is stock.

familytruckster 08-11-2010 12:23 AM

Find some used ti sport springs or other lowering springs and toss only the fronts on.

I'm doing something similar, I put a set of H&R sports on and the rear is too low for my liking, I'm putting spacers on to lift the rear up.

frankie 08-11-2010 03:48 AM

any one have some used ti sport front springs they're trying to get rid of?

J!m 08-11-2010 02:34 PM

Yes I do!:biggrin: (Front springs only- perfect!)

Also Sport front and rear sway bars if you are interested...

Just let me know!

KingLouieII 08-11-2010 04:09 PM

Hey Jim I've a question, if I want to get new Bilstein struts for the front of my car should I take into consideration whether or not I'll be lowering the car or not eventually? ***More to the point, can one run stock springs on sports/lowering springs on hd's?

also, what shop in the huntington area do you use?

thanks

J!m 08-11-2010 04:25 PM

I would run the Bilstein sports with the sport springs. They work fine.

I do all my own work- I don't use a shop in Huntington.

zoner 08-11-2010 06:00 PM

Curious as to how the Bilstein Sport shocks compare with the Bilstein HD's? I'm getting ready to finally (!) put the H&R springs that I've had in a box for over a year now on the car and I'm concerned that the H&R Sport springs combined with the Bilstein Sport shocks might be a little too stiff for my taste. Would it be wise to use the HD's on a lowered car?

The car is a daily driver and the roads in So. Cal. are not the best...

J!m 08-11-2010 06:13 PM

Best is to call Turner Motorsport for and specific details you may have regarding Bilsteins.

They are a wealth of knowledge regarding suspension set ups as well, so can help with all your questions (such as sway bar selection and alignment settings)

spidertri 08-11-2010 06:54 PM

From what I understand, bilstein sports = shortened HDs.

J!m 08-11-2010 06:56 PM

I think so as well, but that is why I suggested checking with the experts to confirm, and get any other needed information.

zoner 08-11-2010 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spidertri (Post 278184)
From what I understand, bilstein sports = shortened HDs.

That was my other concern- by running HD's on a dropped car and how it might adversely affect shock travel.

I'll check with Turner when I get a little closer to making it happen... Need to get my DS-I's back from the shop first.

Thanks for the help!

cooljess76 08-11-2010 07:27 PM

I've actually seen a few instances where Bilstein HD's actually raised the ride height on ti's. And yes, I know the shocks/struts should not affect ride height, but Bilstein HD's do. There's a couple old threads regarding this. If you're lowering your car, go with Bilstein Sport or Koni.

frankie 08-12-2010 01:20 AM

hey Jim, so would the sport springs work with the struts? also, with the sports drop the ride about an inch lower than the regular stock springs? Ive heard you cant mix an match struts ad spring however you please. you have to make sure the springs spring constant is adequate for the struts you're using.

J!m 08-12-2010 12:36 PM

Factory ti sport springs are 10mm (~3/8 inch) lower than base/active springs. Not an inch lower. They are also ~10% stiffer than the base/active springs.

They should be fine on Bilstein Sport struts if that is what you would like to do.

In the rear, the sport springs are slightly less lower (maybe 5mm?) and also work fine with the Bilstein sport shocks.

I would not mix-n-match shocks (don't put Bilstein sports in front and Monroe shocks in back for example) and NEVER mix on the same axle. In fact, if you got two used front sports from different cars, I would not use them on the same car. I would get two new ones.