318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Engine (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Tuning Chip?...I need Feedback (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27654)

tbake504 08-06-2009 03:25 AM

Tuning Chip?...I need Feedback

I Have been seeing different tuning chips and what not on the internet for the ti's. Some of them seem pretty crappy but others seem alright, I don't want to spend 200 bucks on tuning chip but I see these chips that people that get the tuning chips off ebay and from reading their feedback they seem legit.

Basically, I'm wandering what people think about ebay tuning chips for a little extra power? Let me know your thoughts.

mgbman69 08-06-2009 05:14 AM

No experience with M42 chips but I've seen the cheap Ebay chips work well on M50 applications.

Usually they're cheap enough to try one and if you don't like it. pull it out.

tiFreak 08-06-2009 05:19 AM

I wouldn't, save your money for a reputable company

also, I don't know what year your car is but if it's a 96 or newer you can't just stick a chip in it, you have to have it reprogrammed

tbake504 08-06-2009 11:39 PM

Quote:

Usually they're cheap enough to try one and if you don't like it. pull it out.
Thats what I was thinking, but can these cheap ones do anything to mess up the computer system?

Yeah Mine is a 96 ti. But thats fine I was jut wondering if anyone had got a cheap one to see what or if it does anything to give the car a little more power.

mgbman69 08-07-2009 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbake504 (Post 239758)
Thats what I was thinking, but can these cheap ones do anything to mess up the computer system?

Yeah Mine is a 96 ti. But thats fine I was jut wondering if anyone had got a cheap one to see what or if it does anything to give the car a little more power.

I wouldn't think the chip itself could fubar anything; however, installation most defiantly could.

Marv17 08-07-2009 10:12 AM

i wouldnt try the ebay software or chips. i've read that it only makes the ECU think its running constantly on cold air. would make your car run lean. that's what i've read before.

Xenocide 08-07-2009 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marv17 (Post 239814)
i wouldnt try the ebay software or chips. i've read that it only makes the ECU think its running constantly on cold air. would make your car run lean. that's what i've read before.

no thats a resistor mod.

I would recommend ebay chips. They are just dinan copies, if you are really paranoid, just do a dyno run after you install it to make sure your A/F ratios are all OK and your motor is happy.

xxxJohnBoyxxx 08-07-2009 04:47 PM

If his car is a 1996 he is OBDII right?

If OBDII then it would only be a resister mod which is not favorable in my book.

You want some power save $2,000 and come to Florida for a turbo install:wink:

Yoda is still in the lead

tbake504 08-07-2009 07:28 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't think the chip itself could fubar anything; however, installation most defiantly could.
Most of the ebay chips I have seen just plug in and all you have to do is turn a nob for it to be stock or modded. which seems pretty harmless.

Thanks for all the feedback its giving me good ideas about what to do, keep em coming if you got them.

Quote:

You want some power save $2,000 and come to Florida for a turbo install
And I would like to do that but the car is on its way to become a track with an s52 soon to be dropped in.

mohaughn 08-07-2009 07:42 PM

Again, for your car, the plug in type of "upgrades" are simply resistors that trick the ECU into running a little bit richer. You might feel a little more pep on your butt dyno, but over time it will damage the car.

The only type of upgrades you should be looking at are ECU reflashes. You'll have to remove the ECU and send it off, or go to a dinan dealer and have them do the flash for you.

2ndBimmer 08-07-2009 08:18 PM

2 notable options

Technique
Dinan

Both increase rev limiter and drop the governor.

tbake504 08-07-2009 08:59 PM

Alright cool thanks guys, I guess you can really only get the good stuff with spending some money. I'll wait see how long it will be before the s52 is dropped in there and see if I want to spend the money on it.

Thanks again for yall's help.

Mr. Crow 08-09-2009 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbake504 (Post 239670)
I Have been seeing different tuning chips and what not on the internet for the ti's. Some of them seem pretty crappy but others seem alright, I don't want to spend 200 bucks on tuning chip but I see these chips that people that get the tuning chips off ebay and from reading their feedback they seem legit. Basically, I'm wandering what people think about ebay tuning chips for a little extra power? Let me know your thoughts.

Im not too sure on the quality of chips that are seen on ebay. But with this sort of mod, I would agree that you get what you pay for. And these prob. wouldnt be a good idea to mess with when it comes to your ECM. If you have an OBDII....the electrical complications can drive you up the wall. If something goes wrong. I would def. have a professional or an experienced individual install this type of performance mod. and tune the system to have any type of significant difference. And BTW, my motor is chipped with a Dinan chip and I love it! I can take it all the way up past 7 with full power at every gear! If def makes a very noticable difference in performance in my opinion. I'll prob. get a tomato thrown at my dome, but I've heard it can increase HP by as much as 20. I would say get one, but get one that has a trusted name. Or just have Johnboy drop a turbo in. :biggrin: good luck!

tiFreak 08-10-2009 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Crow (Post 240037)
I'll prob. get a tomato thrown at my dome, but I've heard it can increase HP by as much as 20.

I'd say that's possible, from what I've heard the 318s didn't get a very performance-oriented tune from the factory

xxxJohnBoyxxx 08-10-2009 09:54 PM

There are performance gains to be had by flashing a OBDII DME. Dinan is good, Mark D is good, there are others too. The factory needs to tune for emmissions and mass production (Same firmware code) that can be tweaked for more spark advance and trim the fuel curve to make the engine run better then flashed back on the DME. I would think 15-20hp is possible or even more if you degree the cams correctly which are degreed for a smooth idle not all out performance...

Smith