318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Misc (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Water in spare tire well (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42117)

SPHayes 12-17-2015 05:42 PM

Water in spare tire well

Where are the common entry points for water in the hatch area? My spare tire well is always wet after heavy rains. I've replaced the antenna grommet but it's still happening. Thanks

Patrick

BRADESTAR 12-18-2015 07:13 PM

This is the $65,000 question. I have two TI's and this happens to both, one is a hardtop! ...and I live in friggin Seattle!

Though I must admit I haven't spent much time looking. Minor annoyance.

I've heard that there are drain tubes that will become severed or clogged and can cause this. I think that there are other entry points that are hard to chase as well, even think I've read something about it maybe coming from a weld.

The proper solution seems to be pulling all the carpet back there and hosing the car down bit by bit.

The quick solution is a drill bit. Sorry I can't help anymore, If you find your leak let me know. I'd like to get to mine at some point.

SPHayes 12-21-2015 06:01 AM

I like the drill bit solution. The antenna grommet helped a lot on my car as the old one was rotted out. I may pull the taillights and inspect the seals on those next.

Patrick

Sweepy 02-16-2016 10:59 PM

Boot apature seal on compacts is common the water traces round the seal and finds its way in at the bottom normally

Sweepy 02-16-2016 11:00 PM

I live in England it always rains hear

BRADESTAR 02-17-2016 06:42 PM

I've started to chase my leak, getting sick of the smell.

I've chased water up to the roof and will drop the headliner soon and have a look behind there. Certainly annoying. I wanted to change out my back seat and noticed water under there, so then started taking out carpet, then panels, then insulation, now headliner. It's been a real treat.

BlackBMWs 02-18-2016 06:09 AM

Lee, you have a Slicktop and it leaks? The Cali I can see. Perhaps leaking if the Sunroof or Cali top drain pipes are clogged. Slicktop, I can only think of the door seals or the rear hatch seals.

BRADESTAR 02-18-2016 07:02 AM

Yea, I'm sure that you're right. After crawling around the inside of the cali dismantling for a day I realize that there are only a handful of spots H2O should be getting in.

I'm going to give the hardtop another look. It's pouring out or I'd have it now. It's not running so it's easy to neglect. Leak isn't near as bad either. I aught to nip it in the bud though.

BlackBMWs 02-18-2016 09:10 AM

I got a Cali roof seal from Germany to put in if I have to repair or swap tops. I think it was like $70 and three weeks to arrive.

For the Slicktop, check the trunk and rear window seals. Then check under the rubber strip that runs on both sides of the roofline. Perhaps a weld rusted through.

Raining now here. Will check the Cali in the AM for moisture. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shellback 02-18-2016 03:21 PM

Slick top owner here. Water was coming in through the antenna grommet. Once I replaced the rubber grommet, no more leaks.

BlackBMWs 02-18-2016 03:55 PM

Ah, thanks! I replaced my Slicktop antenna grommet when I first got the car and have a new trunk seal to install for a 97 I am renewing. I've not observed any leaks on that one as of yet.

No leaks at all for the Cali. I serviced the top as best as I could this summer and as far as I know, it still has the original top rubber seal. :rolleyes:

SPHayes, are you still leaking? :cool:

SPHayes 02-29-2016 05:40 PM

Yes, but at a much reduced rate. I think it's taillight gaskets at this point.