318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   US and North America (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Funny story about a parts car (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=26462)

Flametail 04-22-2009 12:36 AM

Funny story about a parts car

Well my landlord came to me today and told me that some of his tenants at another rental property of his had left an E36 BMW, he wasn't sure about any other details. I hop in his car (BMW) and ride over to the property to see what it was in hopes of it being a 5-speed 325 or 328...well in those respects I was mistaken but what I did find was a totaled 96...318Ti!!! The car is mine to part out and the only bill I have to foot will be for it to get towed to a junkyard. I am going to go through it and get what I need (sorry for anyone needing a hood, front fenders, or parcel shelf...I almost peed myself when I saw just that part! :biggrin:) I'll post pics of it tomorrow when I go to take the parts off but go ahead and start putting down what you want and I'll try to keep up.

Like I said, I get first dibs of course but whatever left is yours!

wolferj-RIP 04-22-2009 01:06 AM

Great Find! Great to see you be able to find the parts to put your ti back on the road!

As for other parts...

M-Tech Sport rear bumper? (ha ha, I know, fat chance...)

I would really like black overhead interior pieces (sun visors & lights, sunroof cassette panel, dome light, oh sh!t handles) if the overhead is black..

budget76 04-22-2009 01:08 AM

Doubt it, but M-tech side moldings? Really all I could use

tiFreak 04-22-2009 01:14 AM

I thought you sold your ti a while ago after the engine blew or something, welcome back

you might want to consider cutting the drivers side quarter panel out assuming you haven't fixed it on your car yet

roadrash 04-22-2009 01:17 AM

Driver side, amber turn signal?
CD changer bracket?
"Exhaust suspension" from near the tranny that holds the exhaust in place?

713bmw318ti 04-22-2009 01:52 AM

ill take the glove compartment door...if its black.

jonas 04-22-2009 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolferj (Post 225960)
I would really like black overhead interior pieces (sun visors & lights, sunroof cassette panel, dome light, oh sh!t handles) if the overhead is black..

damn you grabbed it before i could, i'll take the actual headliner if it's black or any other pieces wolferj doesn't take.

John318ti 04-22-2009 02:39 AM

If it has fogs, maybe the plugs from the back of the fog lights and the light switch for the fogs? I need to wire mine up...

minicoop900 04-22-2009 02:52 AM

auto? with lsd maybe? if so im interested in diff.

Flametail 04-22-2009 03:17 AM

Guess I should have specified, grey cloth interior.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolferj (Post 225960)
Great Find! Great to see you be able to find the parts to put your ti back on the road!

As for other parts...

M-Tech Sport rear bumper? (ha ha, I know, fat chance...)

The Ti has been on the road and *knocks on wood* trouble free for awhile minus needing a starter soon and the driver's side window popping out of the sliders.

Quote:

Originally Posted by budget76 (Post 225964)
Doubt it, but M-tech side moldings? Really all I could use

It is a base model like I said, so no sport anything.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiFreak (Post 225966)
I thought you sold your ti a while ago after the engine blew or something, welcome back

you might want to consider cutting the drivers side quarter panel out assuming you haven't fixed it on your car yet

I thought about it but ended up realizing I would rather keep it and slowly get it back to original...then swap and whatnot...hehe. I would get the quarter panel but it was NAILED in the driver's side rear end otherwise it would meet Mr. Sawzall!

Quote:

Originally Posted by John318ti (Post 225980)
If it has fogs, maybe the plugs from the back of the fog lights and the light switch for the fogs? I need to wire mine up...

If it had fogs I would be jacking them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by minicoop900 (Post 225981)
auto? with lsd maybe? if so im interested in diff.

It is an auto, guess tomorrow I'll write down the VIN and have Mallard decode it for me.

Question, does the M44 starter fit the M42? I will hopefully have a key within the next day and will be able to try and start the car.

spykejones 04-22-2009 03:20 AM

Parts

Is the diff an auto? I would be interested in that. 4.44 I hope. I am looking for one lsd or not. I can't drive my TI yet because the previous owner destroyed the 4.44 lsd that was in it. I am needing one A.S.A.P. I would like to have a chance to experience at least driving my 318ti for the first time ever. Better yet driving my ti to to work in and not having to rely on sharing 1 vehicle with my wife

minicoop900 04-22-2009 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flametail (Post 225984)
Question, does the M44 starter fit the M42? I will hopefully have a key within the next day and will be able to try and start the car.

yep, numbers cross reference so it should fit no problem

Flametail 04-22-2009 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minicoop900 (Post 225987)
yep, numbers cross reference so it should fit no problem

Awesome! That saves me some cash but isn't going to save my knuckles!

Quote:

Originally Posted by spykejones (Post 225985)
Is the diff an auto? I would be interested in that. 4.44 I hope. I am looking for one lsd or not. I can't drive my TI yet because the previous owner destroyed the 4.44 lsd that was in it. I am needing one A.S.A.P. I would like to have a chance to experience at least driving my 318ti for the first time ever. Better yet driving my ti to to work in and not having to rely on sharing 1 vehicle with my wife

Minicoop900 has dibs already but I will get Mallard to check the VIN and see what comes of it unless someone knows for a fact all 96 autos came with a 4.44 LSD.

Guess I need to get a tarp even though it has been rained in already since ALL the windows are gone except the driver's side and windshield (which I will be taking).

minicoop900 04-22-2009 03:31 AM

mines a 96 auto and doesnt have a lsd, thats why im looking for one

Flametail 04-22-2009 03:33 AM

gotcha. Is there an easy way to tell? Its outside right now so it might be a slight pain to pull it out and that's my only issue.