318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Wheels and Tires (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Full Size Spare Tire (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7691)

esherte 11-25-2005 10:49 PM

Full Size Spare Tire

Is it possible to modify the stock carrier to hold a full size spare?

Thanks,

Gene

L84THSKY 11-25-2005 11:05 PM

That's a great question. Look forward to hearing any replies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by esherte
Is it possible to modify the stock carrier to hold a full size spare?

Thanks,

Gene

cali-ti 11-26-2005 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L84THSKY
That's a great question. Look forward to hearing any replies.

if you're planning on doing that diff swap L8, forget about putting a full size spare in ... in fact, you'll need to deflate the spare to even get THAT to fit. i currently have my space saver, fully inflated, in the back. it's actually nice to have easy access to the drain/fill plugs in the diff. haven't decided what to do long term yet. be nice if i could find a way to put it down into a well in the back.

not sure about a full size on the spare tire holder. it'd be interesting to find out what weight the holder was designed to handle. it would also stick down even further (it sticks down a good bit already).

Keach 12-01-2005 04:52 AM

Yeah I seriously doubt that you'll be able to get a full size spare under the car. When I bought my car the spare carrier was bent in half. I heated it up and bent it back to the original shape and it was a tight fit to get the spare tire to fit under the car (had to leave the tire low in air and carry a little air compressor). I'm almost positive that there is no way that you will be able to get a full size tire and rim under the car and I'm sure that it won't fit in the spare carrier. Plus I don't think there would be enough clearance under the car for a full size wheel even if you did some how modify the carrier. Definatly let me know if you can figure anything out though. Good Luck

Soldo 12-01-2005 08:28 AM

whoa... the spare tire is UNDER the car?
(keep in mind i'm new to the whole ti thing, i'm use to my E36 having a full size in the trunk)

Keach 12-01-2005 08:34 AM

Yeah the tire is mounted under the car in the ti's. You lift up the carpet in the hatch and there are all the tools you need. A metal thing holds it up into the car. To use the spare you just unscrew a bolt and lowwer the whole tire to the ground. Slide the tire out and you got a spare tire. It's a pretty space efficent way of carrying the spare. You would never have a chance in getting a full size tire under there. The space saving spare is tight as it is.

Soldo 12-01-2005 08:39 AM

Anyone just roll without the spare alltogether?

it'd probably be cheaper to just slap on some run flats rather than go through the trouble of modifying the car to fit a full size!

So is the spare tire the major MOD that must be made when swapping an E30 diff on?

L84THSKY 12-01-2005 01:09 PM

Oh yeah....I forgot! Too many upgrades:frown:

Quote:

Originally Posted by cali-ti
if you're planning on doing that diff swap L8, forget about putting a full size spare in ... in fact, you'll need to deflate the spare to even get THAT to fit.

Juni 12-01-2005 01:41 PM

Just get AAA and dont carry the damn spare anymore. That's what I did, plus I dont feel as bad having my sub in the back without the spare in there to further slow down the car!

1996 328ti 12-01-2005 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soldo
Anyone just roll without the spare alltogether?

it'd probably be cheaper to just slap on some run flats rather than go through the trouble of modifying the car to fit a full size!

So is the spare tire the major MOD that must be made when swapping an E30 diff on?

I keep my spare deflated and have an air compressor in the trunk.

Soldo 12-02-2005 06:04 AM

What else is the Ti missing from the regular E36 other than the obvious... i was lookin for some things but i can't find it.... do they still come with heated side mirrors?

cali-ti 12-02-2005 06:06 AM

yep, they have heated side mirrors.

96cali 12-02-2005 05:40 PM

Actually it seems (without close inspection) that just lengthening the rod that hold it up would be an easy way of dropping the carrier so it carries a wider tire. It would have to have the same outer diam though...

Thoughts?:confused:

evalha007 12-02-2005 07:34 PM

Yeah, I have considered just getting rid of the spare to help make up for the 70lb subs in my trunk...