318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Electrical (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Changing the Battery (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42717)

ChItalian1027 08-29-2016 01:00 AM

Changing the Battery

So I'm changing the battery in the ti to an Optima Red Top and I can't get the negative cable to reach the negative post, I tried lossening the bolt that holds the cable down and gives contact to the ground but it won't budge, I'm using my DeWalt Impact. Anyone who is using an Optima on your ti how did you get the negative cable to the negative post on the battery. I have a top post Red Top.

BimmerBum 08-29-2016 01:13 AM

I tried one of the top post Optima Red tops I use in the E46 and I ran into the same issue. The Optima is also too tall to use the top of the battery box.

Instead of reinventing that wheel, I went with a Genuine BMW battery. When the Yahoo Groups 318ti list was more active guys would post when their original batteries quit. I seem to recall quite a few going over 7 years, that's about what I get out of the Optimas.

ChItalian1027 08-29-2016 02:49 AM

Bimmerbum is there anyway that I can get the negative cable to reach the post?

BimmerBum 08-29-2016 03:19 AM

I'm sure there is. You could make your own cable to the length you need.

The question is why figure it out? The OE battery fits perfect, functions perfect and it's cheaper than a red top.

ChItalian1027 08-29-2016 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BimmerBum (Post 381886)
I'm sure there is. You could make your own cable to the length you need.

The question is why figure it out? The OE battery fits perfect, functions perfect and it's cheaper than a red top.

Yes the OE battery is cheaper but I already have the Optima battery in hand which I bought from Optima themselves. I plan on working on this on Saturday, because I'm not in a huge rush to get it done since I already drive the MINI as the daily now. It would just be nice to have to ti running just in case something happens to the MINI that I need the ti.

Also would there be away to go to the BMW dealer and see if I could get a longer negative cable?

BimmerBum 08-29-2016 04:13 AM

You may be able to source a longer cable from another model but that will take some research and might not even be an option.

The easy-button here is to return the Optima and buy an OE battery, especially since you're in a rush.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChItalian1027 (Post 381887)
Yes the OE battery is cheaper but I already have the Optima battery in hand which I bought from Optima themselves. I plan on working on this on Saturday, because I'm not in a huge rush to get it done since I already drive the MINI as the daily now. It would just be nice to have to ti running just in case something happens to the MINI that I need the ti.

Also would there be away to go to the BMW dealer and see if I could get a longer negative cable?

ChItalian1027 08-29-2016 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BimmerBum (Post 381888)
You may be able to source a longer cable from another model but that will take some research and might not even be an option.

The easy-button here is to return the Optima and buy an OE battery, especially since you're in a rush.

Not in a rush but would like to get this done before winter. I have a friend who is the parts manager at the Acura dealer near my house who will help me look for a negative cable. I put a Red Top into my MINI and didn't have a problem with the negative cable so I might just try and see if I can get one from a MINI dealer.