318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Engine Swaps (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Anyone done a electric conversion? (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42181)

mons2b 01-13-2016 09:52 PM

Anyone done a electric conversion?

Hi

Im hoping some here has done a electric conversion and can give me the "magic number" I need to get a adapter made up as I dont have the right measuring tools to make the measurement needed and dont want to get it wrong. Does user ARti still frequent this forum? I understand he sold his car but hope someone can assist.

Thanks guys.:smile:

mtlblue 01-14-2016 01:59 AM

It has been done a while back, think you can find that somewhere on youtube. Good luck, sounds cool

mons2b 01-14-2016 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtlblue (Post 378177)
It has been done a while back, think you can find that somewhere on youtube. Good luck, sounds cool

Hi Mtl

Thank you for replying. I picked up a 316i manual sedan here in New Zealand that needed some love. Right now im slowly working to getting the transmission out to replace the clutch which is worn out.
316i never made it to the USA. It has a slightly smaller engine than the 318. Manuals are extremely rare here so you have to snap one up when you get the chance even if its not the ideal one. Im hoping someone here can give me the measured number between the engine and transmission which is known as the "magic number" in ev circles.
I had a e46ti once and it was a great car.

Hakentt-MS41.1 01-18-2016 06:45 AM

Yes I have done electric conversion for my water heater. I had natural gas water heater when I moved in. Decided I don't want to have just a separate bill for the gas company. I just converted the gas water heater(boiler) to electric one.

mons2b 01-19-2016 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hakentt-MS41.1 (Post 378234)
Yes I have done electric conversion for my water heater. I had natural gas water heater when I moved in. Decided I don't want to have just a separate bill for the gas company. I just converted the gas water heater(boiler) to electric one.

Hi I was meaning removal of the petrol engine and fitting of an electric motor system.

Hakentt-MS41.1 01-19-2016 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mons2b (Post 378253)
Hi I was meaning removal of the petrol engine and fitting of an electric motor system.

You did not mention that in your original post, you must be dumb then

lazoh 01-20-2016 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hakentt-MS41.1 (Post 378266)
You did not mention that in your original post, you must be dumb then

Can we leave the name calling out please, one can assume that this is in the engine swap section and that this fellow was talking about going from gas/petrol to electric.

mons2b 01-20-2016 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazoh (Post 378275)
Can we leave the name calling out please, one can assume that this is in the engine swap section and that this fellow was talking about going from gas/petrol to electric.

Thanks Lazoh. Your sig picture is pretty cool. If people are interested I will create a thread of where im at. Though its not a TI i figure people would still be interested in any interesting e36 projects.