318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Life after your Ti (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41672)

dahamler 07-19-2015 09:23 PM

Life after your Ti

I just wanted to create an open discussion to talk about the vehicles you all would consider (or have purchased) as a replacement for your Ti. Currently I own two 95 318tis and each with S52s.

I also own a E46 325xit (manual) and Z4 and a E36 with an LS1. While I'm a fairly competent mech, age and good old American laziness have made me consider consolidating my fleet. Preventive and corrective maintenance cost also play a factor along with general comfort and useful on board technology.

Cars like the Fiesta ST, the M1 (and upcoming M2) and the BRZ all seem to be suitable replacements for our beloved Ti but I just can't bring myself to part with these unique cars. They handle better than a E30 M3 and just a quick as a E46 M3. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Shellback 07-19-2015 10:14 PM

Nowadays comfort is priority for me. I'm really considering an older Lexus LS for DD duties. I tested a LS430 and although comfortable, it was actually too comfortable....not as connected to the road as I expected. I'm going to try out the older generation Lexus LS400.
I'm also thinking of thinning the current fleet. I do have a 5 speed E46 Touring ZSP and its currently going through a transformation to become a quasi ZHP...This might replace the TI.

clex2 07-19-2015 10:25 PM

Not sure anything can really replace a ti. Cheap, fun, tons of parts and mods, utilitarian, unique...... I still have both of mine. I added an e30 M3, 991 GT3, and just started a ground up restoration on my '75 911. I suppose any of the Ford ST hatchbacks might be a good replacement, but they are FWD, but good ones I hear.

dahamler 07-20-2015 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clex2 (Post 374629)
Not sure anything can really replace a ti. Cheap, fun, tons of parts and mods, utilitarian, unique...... I still have both of mine. I added an e30 M3, 991 GT3, and just started a ground up restoration on my '75 911. I suppose any of the Ford ST hatchbacks might be a good replacement, but they are FWD, but good ones I hear.

So how would you compare the BMW's to the Porsche, I'd also like to have an air cooled 911 as a project but the prices these days are outrageous.

dahamler 07-20-2015 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shellback (Post 374626)
Nowadays comfort is priority for me. I'm really considering an older Lexus LS for DD duties. I tested a LS430 and although comfortable, it was actually too comfortable....not as connected to the road as I expected. I'm going to try out the older generation Lexus LS400.
I'm also thinking of thinning the current fleet. I do have a 5 speed E46 Touring ZSP and its currently going through a transformation to become a quasi ZHP...This might replace the TI.

I was thinking that a e46 330i with a six speed would also be a good replacement.

wolferj-RIP 07-20-2015 04:23 AM

While my fleet now comprises 3 ti's, (2 swapped, 1 still 4cyl), 2 Miatas (an NA & an NB), and a big ole Ram truck, I am in no mood to thin the herd just yet..

There are few cars on the market these days that appeal to me enough to entertain another purchase. The ToyoBaru is interesting, but has no versatility. I've had a Lexus IS300 (boring to drive), Bug Eye WRX Wagon (fun and versatile, but I didn't fit all that great), numerous 4runners and more.

I think the only thing now that would tempt me is a 3rd gen Barracuda (67-69 fastback), a 914 (like the one Strawman is building with a WRX engine swap and box flares), or building a kit car from one of the Miatas (Exocet or similar).

E36 TI-M 07-20-2015 05:04 AM

I had the 86/brz for 2 years. Fully track prepped. Turbocharged and all. Was not impressed with the new boxer engine. But handling was great no doubt about that.

Sold it and bought a TI. First was all stock and now with s50. A year later picked up another one.

Currently 4 BMW on my fleet. Forseeing a 5th one pretty soon. And yes another TI for the wife.

clex2 07-20-2015 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahamler (Post 374634)
So how would you compare the BMW's to the Porsche, I'd also like to have an air cooled 911 as a project but the prices these days are outrageous.

Overall, Porsches are better for the pure driving experience, be it the latest GT3 or old school 911. However, they have very little practicality and attract more attention. If you can get your hands on an old 911, it might be very worthwhile, but as you say, they are going thru the roof right now. There is no comparison on the track. Porsche GT3 wins, but on the street, there is a satisfaction in the way both my stock and swapped ti's drive.

Coyoteh 07-20-2015 01:17 PM

I have no plans to completely ditch having a ti. However, when I can eventually add a second car in addition to the ti, it will be an E36 M3 sedan in Dakar yellow.

Joey 07-20-2015 03:37 PM

I'm either going with a corvette or a gtr. Been also toying with the idea of jumping into the supra realm but I'm not set on anything yet. Just need something with some power cause this little bimmer doesn't cut it

frink84 07-21-2015 12:44 AM

i went with an 06 mustang gt after selling my ti. wife's ride is a 01 325i wagon with a 5-speed manual. love the wagon. LOVE IT.

jca 07-22-2015 05:43 PM

The BMW's I have, in the order they were purchased: '97 Z-3, '98 ti, '83 320i. I love all three for somewhat different reasons, and I can't see letting them go. I find myself jumping into the ti when I don't want to "drive" , just get from point A to point B, because it has an automatic transmission. For long distances driven in comfort we take my wife's 2000 Dodge Grand Minivan ES, the sportiest van (if a van can be said to be sporty) on the market at the time, and a vehicle that has given us 290,000 miles of great service so far.

30yrMbr 07-22-2015 09:22 PM

What's in the garage, now and to come.

Currently have a '01 Z3 Coupe in Atlanta Blue (rare color), an '08 135i convertible and a matched set of ti's both '96 both Alaska Blue slick top and one with M44 and the other has a '96 M3 (S52) swap.

Looking at going to get an M2 via Euro-Delivery with friends from SoCal next spring. Spend a week or so touring and a day at Spa-Francochamps track. Hope to get back into the M2 in time (August 2016) for the big blowout at Laguna Seca in Monterey CA; 100 year BMW anniversary, Oktoberfest and Legends of the Autobahn and on and on.

Going to dump the 135i (trade-in or sell outright) and then....
The Z3 is probably a keeper
The Ti's are a problem. The Swapped one is my occasional track car, the other (M44) has been in the family over a decade and is my DD, but not doing much of that any more. The M2 would be suitable for track use and DD, so the swapped Ti would be unnecessary, the M2 and Z3 would probably serve for our current / future needs... So ???

I should probably sell both of the Ti's but can't bear to do that. So keep one or both or ??? and if keep one, which?

angelicmisskitty 07-22-2015 10:50 PM

It's funny, everytime we are looking to add another TI to our E36 herd, we always end up with a Coupe or Convertible instead :D
The TI is pretty much the only car in our fleet that will stay until its death. Being the first car ever since having the drivers license gives it some priorities over all the others. :biggrin:

Talk about adding...
I wouldn't mind the SRT Hellcat (a girl can dream, right? :rolleyes: ) and, hopefully within the next 12 months, the 1M Coupe. :smile:

Boffalora 07-23-2015 12:42 AM

My present Montreal Blue 1997 base 'ti is my second. I first had a 1996 black base that I bought new in 1996 and sold to a local schoolteacher in 2001.

I've been looking at a new Fiat 500X crossover. The young Fiat salesman seems to be jonesin' for my 'ti and hinted that he'd buy it himself. Naturally I will not part with this beautiful specimen for Kelley BB or Edmunds' value, so most likely if we were to get the 500X I'd keep the 'ti until an offer that I can't refuse comes along.

The 'ti is in my DNA. When I bought it from an estate and first slid behind the wheel after many years in an Audi A4 I felt that I had come home.:smile: