318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Transmission (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Jumping out of first gear (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6713)

FireRescueFL 08-20-2005 12:12 AM

Jumping out of first gear

Every now and then, my transmission will pop out of first gear as I let out the clutch. It seems to only do it right after I use reverse. I've already tried changing the timing of the gear change (shift to first while still backing up, wait for a complete stop and let the centrifugals slow down then shift, etc...). Nothing seems to make it better or worse and the really annoying part is that it's very inconsistant as to when it does it. Sometimes it does, other times it doesn't (most of the time).

Sorry if this is a repost. I tried the search but didn't get any relevant results. Thanks in advance for your help guys.

---Chris

city 08-20-2005 12:46 AM

I also get that problem once in a great while and it is really annoying. Sometimes I have a real hard time puttting it into 1st gear as well, it acts like something is blocking me from putting it in first. If I try a couple a times it goes, but this is also a very sporadic problem and only happens here and there. Any idea's/suggestions anyone?

1996 328ti 08-20-2005 12:49 AM

The cheap thing to try is replace your tranny fluid.
Other possiblities, clutch slave cylinder.
I'm going to need to replace mine soon.
There was some discussion here.

FireRescueFL 08-20-2005 12:57 AM

Man, I was hoping to not hear all that (from the linked post). I was guessing perhaps the previous owner had grinded it a few times and might have damaged the shift forks but if it was incorrectly machined from the factory, then I can't really get mad at him.

Bummer, I was hoping that by going with a German car, rather than my usual American one, that I wouldn't be constantly having to work on it.

---Chris

cali-ti 08-20-2005 02:06 AM

well, one wouldn't know for sure that the fork is machined incorrectly unless you have it serviced and they could confirm it. i have a 96 as well and have 212k on mine. i may or may not have this issue with my transmission, but nothing consistent. IF enough people found incorrectly machined forks from the factory, perhaps it could be brought against BMW to be repaired, but i'm guessing most people just live with it.

aceyx 08-20-2005 04:09 AM

from reverse, slide into second before going into first gear. also, give a wee bit of gas when you're going into first. helps get the synchro's a-goin.

in all honesty, i'd wait until the dead stop to shift into first, and pull it out of reverse while rolling.

ah, the knowledge we gain by driving broke-ass cars. nothing's more fun than having to give a rube goldberg speech on how to roll down the window properly.

FireRescueFL 08-25-2005 01:08 AM

OK, this blows. It's doing it more and more now. And it's totally INCONSISTANT as to when it does it. But, it does only do it when I go from reverse to first or after letting it idle in neutral for a while. I tried going into second and then going into first but it doesn't seem to change anything with my car. :-(

---Chris

Clemente 09-02-2005 06:51 AM

This problem is the synchros in the transmission! I had this on a couple of my customers Hondas. It is due to downshifting at high rpms or slamming it from first to 2nd too hard (grinding). If the first gear is bad your 3rd gear and your reverse will start doing the same thing over time (popping out of gear). Rather expensive fix if you don't know how to take apart your tranny.