318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Exterior (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   headlights blew out (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24685)

hotmilk400 12-08-2008 04:37 AM

headlights blew out

while the title sounds boring, i cant figure out how i blew out both of my headlights at the same time. i was getting ready to go home from work, and when i turned my lights on, i heard a pop, (i think) , and the lights never turned on (i didnt even take notice) i drove down the road, and was like, hmmm.. its really dark.. and i pulled over, and both of my headlights had blown at.. i thought it was a fuse, so i checked for like 30 minutes in the freezing cold. all the fuses are fine, including the fuses for the headlights. i thought maybe it was a relay then, but i couldnt check on the side of the road. then i was like, well, let me check the headlights.. of course, both headlights are black, and you can see the filiment is broken inside.. has anyone ever heard of BOTH headlights blowing at the same time??? i will replace them tomorrow, and hopefully will last, but is there some kind of problem? or was it a freak occurrence?

haha.. i dunno.. i am an electrician, and nothing makes sence to me, but i dont know a whole lot about the electrical system in cars, but i know enough to know that it seems almost impossible to blow both headlights at the exect same time.

it was very cold outside, about 20 F , but that isnt that cold .

tiFreak 12-08-2008 04:26 PM

I guess you could start by tracing the wires from the lights to the switch and see if there's any breaks in the insulation where it could be grounding, this has me pretty confused to :confused:

b.u.ti-ful 12-08-2008 05:10 PM

Are you sure you have not been riding around with just one for a while and just now the second one went out?

hotmilk400 12-08-2008 05:29 PM

i thought that at first, but the time span couldn't have been more then maybe 2 days, because i would have noticed it pretty fast. everyday , when i get home at night, i sit in my car alittle until i have my ipod turned off and grab whatever. for some reason, i always look at the fence in front of me and check for both beams from the headlights, haha, its a habit. so i might have missed it for alittle, but it couldnt be for long. and even for 2 lights to blow out withing a week of eachother is strange. but i am pretty sure they both blew at the same time.

i will check for dead shorts, but a dead short wont blow light, unless they run at less then 12 volts, and got into contact with something more powerfull.

like i said, i will replace them, and if they blow, then i will be upset.. haha..

b.u.ti-ful 12-08-2008 05:51 PM

Do the high beams work?

hotmilk400 12-08-2008 08:56 PM

yeah, i had to drive home with my high-beams on .. i just replaced my lights now, and drove home with them on, and they are working fine.

also, alittle off topic, but
for the highbeams, what is the max wattage the system can handle? i was thinking of replacing my highbeams with HID bulbs, but i dont wanna melt anything.. haha.

tiFreak 12-09-2008 01:27 AM

you'd need to replace the entire headlight if you wanted to put HIDs in, the stock US-spec headlights don't have the reflectors needed to keep from blinding people at night

hotmilk400 12-09-2008 02:12 AM

thanks, i saw people had gotten different headlights put in, and i figured that was why.. of course no seller will ever tell you that. haha..

tiFreak 12-09-2008 03:05 AM

the headlights for HIDs are pretty pricey, DDM has them for about $100, it might be better to just buy the Silverstar Ultra bulbs or something similar since they're cheaper and from what I can tell, your ti isn't in the best condition to start modifying it :tongue:

hotmilk400 12-09-2008 04:29 AM

hey now, my ti is in mint condition. besides the door, and about $3000 in parts.. well i wasn't looking at the real hid bulbs, just the cheap $10 ebay knockoffs.. haha..