318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Anyone tried absinthe? (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21442)

Borg561 04-06-2008 04:17 AM

Anyone tried absinthe?

Curious if anyone here has tried or is a semi-regular absinthe drinker. I tried some for the first time when I was in Chicago the last couple days. I must say I was quite surprised. I hate black licorice, and knowing that absinthe is supposed to have an anise taste, I actually liked them. It did taste like black licorice, but it was pretty sweet (and we didn't use any sugar cubes) and something I could drink.

I was lucky enough to try three that aren't commecrially available in the US, Jade 1901, Doubs Mystique, and Roquette 1797. If anyone's tried some of those available in the US, which would you recommend? I want to try some that are available here (I saw Lucid and a few others at Binny's in Chicago), but don't have a clue where to start.

For those that have never tried it before, I say try to find a bar that has some (or someone that does and is willing to share), but don't go overboard. They tend to be very sweet and easy to drink, and while the water brings the ABV down a bit, most do start out in the 65-70% ABV range.

Cheers! :drunk:

Justin

thesk8nmidget 04-07-2008 04:12 PM

a buddy of mine homebrewed some with a kit he bought over seas and it was extremely strong and i didnt care much for it.

but im sure real stuff is a little better

campaiar 04-07-2008 05:01 PM

The real stuff is good.

JPerfect 04-07-2008 05:42 PM

I spent some time in Europe over the summer and tried several types of it. While some were marketed towards tourists, and were what they called "fake," there were other types that did taste much different and made you feel a bit different as well.

I did not see any green fairies though, I believe that's all folklore.

Borg561 04-08-2008 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesk8nmidget (Post 165059)
a buddy of mine homebrewed some with a kit he bought over seas and it was extremely strong and i didnt care much for it.

but im sure real stuff is a little better

If it was extremely strong, did you add water too it, and if you did, how much and how quickly? If done properly, you should be adding about 3-4 ounces of water for each ounce of absinthe. It should be ice cold and dripped slowly over the absinthe spoon (with or without a sugar cube on it). If done right it will louche (turn cloudy) and I'm guessing the ABV drops down into the 30-40% range, which wouldn't be very harsh or strong at all.

Just found out today that one of the local bars here has Lucid, but I don't think they have a fountain (not necessary, but very helpful in regulating the water dripping), and I'm not sure about the spoons and sugar cubes. I think I might just have to try it next time I stop in there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPerfect (Post 165072)
I spent some time in Europe over the summer and tried several types of it. While some were marketed towards tourists, and were what they called "fake," there were other types that did taste much different and made you feel a bit different as well.

I did not see any green fairies though, I believe that's all folklore.

Don't suppose you remember what kinds you tried, do you? The liquor store I went to in Chicago definately had some fakes (green vodka infused with anise flavor, an "herbal" infused liquer, etc). What I had also gave me a different feeling (I'd had a few scotches that night), but I also didn't see any fairies.

Justin

anthonyl 04-08-2008 05:20 AM

I tried some that a roomate brought back from Europe. Ahhh, it burned like hell. "tastes like burning" in Ralphie words. I don't know if it was the real deal or not though, only could stand one shot. From what I remember the ingredient worm wood causes minor hallucinations.