318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Engine Swaps (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   engine swap which radiator (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21737)

budget76 04-28-2008 01:13 AM

engine swap which radiator

so, I just put a deposit on a TI with a 2.5 swapped in. It's the one in the for sale section in NJ. Needs some work, but nothing I can't do.

Had a quick question. Don't have the car in my possession yet, so I can't inspect any closer, but which radiator do you typically use when doing the swap? I'm going to assume the 6cyl one, for the improved cooling capabilities.

It may have a leak, so I am pricing them out prior to the car being home, so I know what to order if I need to. I have to re-mount the rad anyway, it's got about 20 zip ties holding it in now, so If the 6cyl needs a little bit of customization, that's alright with me, worth the added cooling.

I searched, but don't have the time to read everyone's build threads to find the info. The sticky for needed items does include radiator, probably confirming my thought I need/have the 6cyl one, I just want to make sure. Probably going to have a bunch of questions, got a LOT to learn with it, but it's gonna be fun:cool:

cooljess76 04-28-2008 02:00 AM

Might as well get a 6cyl radiator. They're cheap. I bought a Behr radiator off ebay for 125 shipped. Might be a couple bucks more for a larger one, but well worth it IMO. Quality was as good as the OEM one that I pulled out. While you're at it you should replace the hoses, clamps and plastic coolant lines if they haven't been replaced already. It would really suck to get a new radiator installed/filled/bled and later find out that you're leaking from somewhere else. Good time to replace the thermostat and water pump too. Everything can be sourced for about 200 bucks. I know cash is tight right now, but save up for a couple of weeks and get it all done so you won't have any problems later.

Edit, can't remember if your new car has the fan delete mod. If so DEFINITELY go with a 6cyl radiator and remember to get the lower temp thermostat. Search "fan delete mod" or FDM on pelicanparts or bimmerforums for some good writeups.

budget76 04-28-2008 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooljess76 (Post 168907)
Might as well get a 6cyl radiator. They're cheap. I bought a Behr radiator off ebay for 125 shipped. Might be a couple bucks more for a larger one, but well worth it IMO. Quality was as good as the OEM one that I pulled out. While you're at it you should replace the hoses, clamps and plastic coolant lines if they haven't been replaced already. It would really suck to get a new radiator installed/filled/bled and later find out that you're leaking from somewhere else. Good time to replace the thermostat and water pump too. Everything can be sourced for about 200 bucks. I know cash is tight right now, but save up for a couple of weeks and get it all done so you won't have any problems later.

Edit, can't remember if your new car has the fan delete mod. If so DEFINITELY go with a 6cyl radiator and remember to get the lower temp thermostat. Search "fan delete mod" or FDM on pelicanparts or bimmerforums for some good writeups.

Thanks, I can tell this forum is going to be like my previous for the scout, very helpful. I think you're the guy that wanted pics of my scout? I'll post them in the lounge area.

I figured the 6cyl would be a good upgrade, just wanted a second opinion. It does have the fan delete, and i'll be throwing an electric fan on obviously. I'm not even sure if the rad is bad, but I like to plan ahead.

And after half-assing some things on the truck in my past, I'm a FIRM believer of saving up, and doing it right once. I was planning on getting the colder temp t-stat, he said it was acting wacky, so that's on the list.

thanks again

campaiar 04-30-2008 05:04 PM

The M3 radiator has an extra row of cores (cooling tubes) in it. I believe the stock 6-cyl radiator is a 2 core and the stock M3 is a 3 core.

budget76 05-01-2008 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by campaiar (Post 169492)
The M3 radiator has an extra row of cores (cooling tubes) in it. I believe the stock 6-cyl radiator is a 2 core and the stock M3 is a 3 core.

cool, thanks for the info. I'm a firm believer of the more cores, the better.

mphmotorwerks 05-01-2008 05:53 AM

I just bought a used one on ebay from a 99 M3 with 65000 miles on it for 47 bucks........there dirt cheaaappp!