318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Center cap dimensions (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24497)

spam juice 11-20-2008 11:32 PM

Center cap dimensions

Hi guys,
Thanks ahead of time for your expertise. I've used this forum to gather information before purchasing my Ti. I recently bought a 1998 Alpine White with Sport Package. I need to replace the four center caps of the 16" 5-point star stock wheels. I need to know what diameter center caps do I buy? Would you recommend purchasing it from EBay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=
Or is there another website that you would recommend.
Then how do you remove the existing caps from the wheel?
I also need to replace the hood emblem. Any idea on the size and how to do it?

Maverix 11-25-2008 12:35 AM

I don't think it matters. They're all the same. Since center caps are cheap, I would just go ahead and pry them open.

As far as I know, all hood and trunk roundels are the same for all series except the 5 series. Removing the roundels are pretty simple. I used a advertisement fridge magnet, and slipped it behind the roundel. Then used a flathead to even lift up each one of the side. Some people damage the grommets when removing them. I personally didn't have any problems with it.

CirrusSR22 11-25-2008 01:10 AM

I recommend buying them from AutohausAZ.com ($21.76 for the set) or getBMWparts.com ($19.20 for the set). Both are very reputable retailers.

TI-driftin 11-25-2008 01:19 AM

for future note, if you dont want to damage your centercaps its best to take the wheel off and pop it off from the back side.

M332TI 11-25-2008 01:41 AM

I concur. btw.. got your payment dude. ill ship it tom when i get home from work. im night shift for 3 months starting today. lol

TI-driftin 11-25-2008 01:52 AM

hahahaha. cool man. I bet you threw some people off with that random payment comment. lol

tiFreak 11-25-2008 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TI-driftin (Post 204246)
hahahaha. cool man. I bet you threw some people off with that random payment comment. lol

lol, threw me off :biggrin: to the OP, is the actual cap damaged or missing or is the logo itself damaged? if it's just the logo that's damaged you can peel it off and stick a new one on easy, save yourself a couple dollars

M332TI 11-25-2008 04:26 AM

lol i know isnt it a great come back lol

bmwpelican 01-03-2009 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverix (Post 204233)
I don't think it matters. They're all the same. Since center caps are cheap, I would just go ahead and pry them open.

As far as I know, all hood and trunk roundels are the same for all series except the 5 series. Removing the roundels are pretty simple. I used a advertisement fridge magnet, and slipped it behind the roundel. Then used a flathead to even lift up each one of the side. Some people damage the grommets when removing them. I personally didn't have any problems with it.

just used your method a few min ago for my carbon fibor ones. but except using a flathead i used a durable butter knife. bc when i started to use the flathead i could get through to work out the sides w.o denting/chiping. but the magnent is a really good tool.

Maverix 01-03-2009 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwpelican (Post 209724)
just used your method a few min ago for my carbon fibor ones. but except using a flathead i used a durable butter knife. bc when i started to use the flathead i could get through to work out the sides w.o denting/chiping. but the magnent is a really good tool.

Yup, it sticks to the car and doesn't move. Other people use credit cards, but I only have 1 debit card, and I really need it :tongue:

But yea, if you can find something sturdy but small to pry it off, then go right ahead.