318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Electrical (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   I have a fuse problem. Gas and the Temp. (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24558)

Will'sBimmer 11-27-2008 04:59 AM

I have a fuse problem. Gas and the Temp.

The story is I was going out of town today to Nashville to visit my mom for Thanksgiving. As I got onto the interstate I noticed that my temp needle went all the way to the blue and then went over to the red side. The gas needle went all the way to empty and the light came on. Also my clock light went out. So I figured it was a fuse that had gone bad. I stopped and checked it out and sure enough found a blown fuse. I replaced it with one that was on the fuse cover. But as soon as I replaced it and turned the car on. The gas and temp needle started working but then they went haywire again. Meaning it blew the fuse again. So before I go to the store and buy some more fuses does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be the problem???????????? I also put some octane booster in the car before the fuse blew. I don't know if this has anything to do with it.

M3_KILL3R 11-27-2008 06:20 AM

you may have a short somewhere in the wiring. I would try putting a higher amp fuse to see if that helps if not then there is a shortage somewhere. Thats what i think...cant really diagnose without digging through the wiring

John Firestone 11-27-2008 03:16 PM

If there is a short somewhere, trying a higher-amperage fuse could prove me$$y. Don't do it! Find and get rid of your short, and then replace the fuse with another of the correct size.

1996 328ti 11-27-2008 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Firestone (Post 204523)
If there is a short somewhere, trying a higher-amperage fuse could prove me$$y. Don't do it! Find and get rid of your short, and then replace the fuse with another of the correct size.

+1

When I worked with electronics I would do this but everything was visible and I was looking for components getting warm. Besides, I was a trained professional and often slept in a Holiday Inn Express :)
You can't do that with the car. All you need are for wires to start melting.
You will be hating life and your car.

Will'sBimmer 11-27-2008 04:31 PM

Well I bought some new fuses (correct size 15). I will try them out today and see what happens. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to look for this possible shortage??? I have no clue as to which wire to look for or even where it would be located. Maybe behind the instrument cluster?? Any help is appreciated. Happy Thanksgiving by the way!!

-Will

1996 328ti 11-27-2008 04:42 PM

Have you done anything recently to the car?

Edit: http://www.318ti.org/files/showentry.php?e=10
6211.0 Instrument Cluster

Will'sBimmer 11-27-2008 11:29 PM

I fixed the problem. :biggrin: I checked the rest of my fuses and found another one to be blown as well. I changed out both of the fuses and now everything is working again as it should. Thanks for all the help. I forgot the fuse numbers but I will post them later in case anyone else has this problem. I guess when one goes out they both go out.

1996 328ti 11-28-2008 12:07 AM

Not necessarily.
I lost my fuel and temp gauge once. Replaced a single fuse and it's been fine every since. Glad it was a simply fix.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will'sBimmer (Post 204542)
I fixed the problem. :biggrin: I checked the rest of my fuses and found another one to be blown as well. I changed out both of the fuses and now everything is working again as it should. Thanks for all the help. I forgot the fuse numbers but I will post them later in case anyone else has this problem. I guess when one goes out they both go out.

ChiFly318ti 12-01-2008 03:08 AM

I had this same problem, replaced the brake fuse and everything went back to normal.

kwayocu 02-05-2009 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiFly318ti (Post 204921)
I had this same problem, replaced the brake fuse and everything went back to normal.

do you recall which brake fuse?

70boss2 11-02-2009 04:07 AM

Wow,
Thanks,
My fuel guage and OBC was acting up. After reading this thread, I checked my brake fuse (46) and it was blown! Even better I know why (one of the rear tail light assemblies came loose and fell one last week)
Thanks

Will'sBimmer 11-02-2009 05:15 AM

Your welcome. I am glad you got your problem fixed. :)