318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   I'm thinking about buying a ti. (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Case of missing fan on '95 ti (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=34350)

540318 09-20-2011 01:50 AM

Case of missing fan on '95 ti

Hi guys, I'm on my second ti, this one a '95 Sport I just bought.

As I'm sorting the engine bay I noticed that there is no fan attached to the pump axle! Makes changing pump and Tstat a breeze for sure, but is this how they came?? Or someone stole my fan?

I noticed driving in traffic the rumbling of the electric fan turning on, so there is some way to cool the radiator/coolant while stopped. But then... is this electric fan both for the engine AND the AC??

Kind of interesting setup, probably good for +2 hp, but I'm really intrigued. Even if I install a fan+clutch on the pump, the fan would not line up quite center of the electric fan, so cooling might be questionable. And if the electric fan is a "sucker" not a pusher, they would work against each other?.

Can someone of the "old" ti crowd shed some light on the missing fan?. Truly appreciate the input.

dave45056 09-20-2011 02:55 AM

ti's in North America didn't come with clutch fans like other e36's.
The electric fan works for normal cooling and AC. It's a 2 speed fan.

540318 09-20-2011 03:44 AM

Dave, great, thanks for the explanation .. It is interesting that Real OEM even lists a fan+clutch for '95 US ...

You've never had heating problems with just the electric on your '95?

familytruckster 09-20-2011 02:28 PM

Looks like it varies a bit with application for the machanical fan....I got a 97 or 98 motor that was out of a ti and had a clutch fan. My 96 is electric fan only..

dave45056 09-20-2011 03:26 PM

FamilyTruckster... I thought clutch fans came on ti's too, because it's listed on RealOEM, but an informal poll was held, and unless I am mistaken, no one had one with clutch fan on it. Even people who bought a ti new said no clutch fan.

540318, I can't say my ti has never overheated... but it was not due to the absence of a clutch fan... Plastic fittings have broken, water pump has failed, and radiator has failed, too. As a matter of fact, you should look into doing a cooling system rebuild and maybe even replacing your oil filter housing gasket and bushing as preventative maintenence before winter comes. There are links to these things in the knowledge base. If it were me, I would not replace the radiator until it fails, though. They cost about $150, and can be replaced in 30 minutes. I do watch my temp guage like a hawk, though.

zoner 09-20-2011 05:49 PM

I've never had a cooling problem with the electric fan either. As a matter of fact, my fan rarely turns on even on hot days.

540318 09-21-2011 01:31 AM

Yeah, I also saw that poll...from an ancient thread back in '08.

My other '08 ti has a clutch/fan but it is an Auto. I suspect with transmission cooling requirements and additional radiator (engine+AC+transmission) BMW put in the fan that may not be necessary on the manuals. I could be wrong but I would bet that Autos have fans and early tis with manual transmissions don't.

Thanks for the input though ... I feel better about the no-fan situation, but agree with doing cooling system rebuild to be on the safe side. I have to say, the 318 with manual and no fan revs much faster than the Auto with all the additional stuff.

540318 09-21-2011 01:36 AM

errr, I meant my other '98 ti.

familytruckster 09-21-2011 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 540318 (Post 309416)
Yeah, I also saw that poll...from an ancient thread back in '08.

My other '08 ti has a clutch/fan but it is an Auto. I suspect with transmission cooling requirements and additional radiator (engine+AC+transmission) BMW put in the fan that may not be necessary on the manuals. I could be wrong but I would bet that Autos have fans and early tis with manual transmissions don't.

Thanks for the input though ... I feel better about the no-fan situation, but agree with doing cooling system rebuild to be on the safe side. I have to say, the 318 with manual and no fan revs much faster than the Auto with all the additional stuff.

Mine is an auto, no clutch fan. Still stays cool, even with the fan not working on low...

Dave, I dunno...Pretty sure it was a ti motor and it sure had a mechanical fan on it..Also the donor motor was in front of a 5 speed ...

1996 328ti 11-17-2013 05:50 PM

I was just going to ask this question when the thread popped up as a similar thread.

So no 95 318ti (M42) had a clutch fan?
Seems to be mixed about 96-99 (M44).
Did it depend on auto or manual or no rhyme or reason?

Also found this poll.
http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24108