318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Maintenance (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   M44 strange water leak from rear?? (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=44622)

MisterM52 05-18-2019 09:01 AM

M44 strange water leak from rear??

2 Attachment(s)
Hi guys, so I have been doing a lot of work on my 318ti last week and I have noticed some loss of coolant just behind the power steering rack. I have some 10 - 20 ml lost a day. Its something that I didn't see till a week ago after doing some work relocating my battery to the trunk with all the wires and stuff I messed around with may have made the leak more prominent and I dont think its the windshield wiper lines either.

I think on the M44 the rear coolant connector is known to leak (part number 11531743679).Maybe its the side one (11531709232)? I will replace both and hopefully it ought to solve it.

Any ideas?

Edit: I did have to tuck around with the heater control valve, wonder if that is leaking? Might band aid with a few turns of the wrench and later doing it right when I do the two hose connectors on the side and rear?

Chip 05-19-2019 01:38 AM

That y pipe on the back of the head was the downfall of two of my three M44s, I'd replace it immediately.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

MisterM52 05-19-2019 03:53 AM

Yea, I am getting a replacement one along with the pipe on the side of the engine. when installing I see some folks use Red High Temp RTV around that part, I should too I guess?

Any other possible sources?

BRADESTAR 05-19-2019 05:18 AM

I don't use any RTV. A little lube on the rubber gasket so it seats properly and that's that.

..Your heater core valve looks a little suspect there, I don't know how far I'd trust that thing.

MisterM52 05-19-2019 09:53 AM

remarkably there isnt a leak to be found under today! might still just replace those 2 as preventive measure.

that heater core, gonna watch that a bit...

Estii 05-20-2019 09:09 PM

Replace those immediately. I dont suggest even driving the car until those are replaced. You can blow those to peices easily and cause an overheat. Then u might even cause head damage. You cant take chances on cooling components with these cars, they arent forgiving at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MisterM52 05-20-2019 09:46 PM

Yea, I ordered those two hoses, I am not used to the 4 cylinder BMW's, have mostly owed 6 cyl ones and know what goes wrong with them, the 4 cyl seems just as prone, specially with the connections in the back.

MisterM52 05-30-2019 09:47 AM

I found the source of the small leak, it was the windshield washer reservoir. it was leaking from the little pump fitting, a bit wiggling sorted that out. I think I am losing a little bit coolant though. Must be a leak on those 2 hoses. I received the 2 replacement hoses the other day in the mail. Going to do them some day next week, will do the RTV method though, just as insurance.

MisterM52 06-18-2019 12:59 PM

A little update, while doing some maintenance I found that my bottom radiator hose was not fully inserted, and when I blew in the radiator and pressurized it with my mouth, it would leak from there. I cleaned it up and inserted it properly that and added a new hose clamp, I also found my top bleeding screw on the radiator was not going in fully as well as the radiator cap was broken. I think those were slowly leaking coolant out. So if anyone in the future have a slow coolant loss, be sure to check these lines too!

shriberone 07-25-2019 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRADESTAR (Post 390432)
I don't use any RTV. A little lube on the rubber gasket so it seats properly and that's that.

..Your heater core valve looks a little suspect there, I don't know how far I'd trust that thing.

that's it right there. I found that rtv, is for inexperienced fixes.