318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Exterior (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Water Leak in Roof on California Top (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30591)

jac_buffalo 05-20-2010 06:43 PM

Water Leak in Roof on California Top

I Have a '97 ti with the California top. Just this past year there's been a leak when it rains and I'm not sure where it is coming from. The post in between the windshield and driver's side window gets damp. Lately, the water has been dripping from the bottom of the post near the dash. It's been frustrating to say the least.

I've looked at the seal to the windshield. Everything looks good, the same as the other side that is not leaking. I've checked the seal around the door. Nothing stood out as out of place there. There is a channel that runs around the California top that I can't tell where it drains to. Maybe the drain on the driver's side is plugged, but I don;t know where to check.

Any ideas? Has anyone else had a leak in this area?

96cali 05-21-2010 11:31 PM

short answer- yes, lots of discussions on this. Search and you will find lots of info. Its likely plugged drains or the seal is leaking around the top itself.

street_fighter 06-03-2010 06:17 PM

hi jac,so i will tell you what you can do...
FIRST: you have to remove side trims...be very careful because they have a very thin lugs and you can brake them very easy.
SECOND: you have to remove the sun visors and the center lapm( just pull it down,it's easy)
THIRD: Remove the front left and the front right panels ( for the hand).Just unskrew :)
this should be enough to pull down just a litlle bit down the back side of the roof and to see if the drains are not in the proper place.
It's not so dificult as it seems :) try it :)

bmwallday 10-08-2013 02:45 AM

Sorry for reviving this old tread but I'm getting this same problem, would I see the drain coming from the drain hole of the california top railing? (i.e. I pour water and it should stream out somewhere visually?)

I haven't had time to look it into this... it just started raining and I'm getting leaks at both front A-pillars going down to the footwell (more leak on the driver side compared to the passenger).

AND I have 2 additional leaks from the rear where the back seats A pillar connects to the headliner roof top. (not sure if this is due to the cali top tho)

Quote:

Originally Posted by street_fighter (Post 272808)
hi jac,so i will tell you what you can do...
FIRST: you have to remove side trims...be very careful because they have a very thin lugs and you can brake them very easy.
SECOND: you have to remove the sun visors and the center lapm( just pull it down,it's easy)
THIRD: Remove the front left and the front right panels ( for the hand).Just unskrew :)
this should be enough to pull down just a litlle bit down the back side of the roof and to see if the drains are not in the proper place.
It's not so dificult as it seems :) try it :)

1996 328ti 10-08-2013 05:33 PM

The drains go down to the chassis.
You should see some louvered holes in the chassis rails from what I remember.
They get clogged with leaves.