318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Differentials (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   318ti lsd help! (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20192)

dudesweet 12-27-2007 06:38 PM

318ti lsd help!

ok I have looked everywhere and i still cant figure out if a 1996 318ti comes with an lsd or not, one guy says he wants to get an lsd and then on other posts someone says they have an lsd I really dont know I need some help.

1996 328ti 12-27-2007 06:40 PM

95 Club Sport has an LSD and it was an option up until some point in 1996.

thesk8nmidget 12-27-2007 06:46 PM

like steven said standard on the club sports and an option til traction control was offered.

you can ask the owner of the ti if they will give you the last 7 numbers of the vin and then have mallard run a vin check to see if it has it.

or swap in a e30 diff into it for pretty cheap and have a limited slip on any year

cali-ti 12-27-2007 06:47 PM

do you have an ASC switch on the dash to the left of the steering wheel? if so, you would not have a LSD stock (bmw didn't offer both traction control and limited slip diff).

easiest way to see if it was fitted from the factory is to send last 7 digits to Mallard and have him work up an options list on your car. of course, that wouldn't tell you if someone fitted one later.

Mallard 12-27-2007 07:11 PM

or, you could jack up one rear wheel and try to rotate it out of gear

if it doesnt turn then its a slipper,

or jack up both rear wheels.

rotate one as before. if they both rotate as if locked together, you have a slipper :)

dudesweet 12-27-2007 07:29 PM

thanks for everything now i know. either way I plan on buying the car I just wanted to make sure how to know how to tell if the car has an lsd. I could put one in either way.

Oh yeah and sk8tin midget im really sorry to hear about ur back, but u gotta go to a physiatrist its all about muscle and bone correlation on ur recovery, Ive been havin knee problems lately and and a physiatrist just made it all better then a couple weekends ago i went snowboarding and i hurt it again so now Im chillin at home waitin for the blood to hopefuly absorb back into my knee so i definetly know how you feel

thesk8nmidget 12-27-2007 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudesweet (Post 148303)
thanks for everything now i know. either way I plan on buying the car I just wanted to make sure how to know how to tell if the car has an lsd. I could put one in either way.

Oh yeah and sk8tin midget im really sorry to hear about ur back, but u gotta go to a physiatrist its all about muscle and bone correlation on ur recovery, Ive been havin knee problems lately and and a physiatrist just made it all better then a couple weekends ago i went snowboarding and i hurt it again so now Im chillin at home waitin for the blood to hopefuly absorb back into my knee so i definetly know how you feel

thanks for the concern!!

im going in for physical therapy starting next week or a couple of weeks. not sure i need to schedule an appointment one of these days.

and on the fourth i have another doctor appointment that i have to go to and i will ask about that