318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Misc (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   m44 no dme relay power (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42228)

fluidvp 01-26-2016 08:30 PM

m44 no dme relay power

So about a year ago my 97 318ti stalled on me while pulling into a drive. Tried to restart and it seemed to run then die, then every so often it would get a very random fire. So after towing back to the shop, i ran a scan on it and it cam back p0335. I had figured it was something ckp related since the tach needle would get a bounce every once in a while. So since i didn't need the car, I let it sit for a year.

Now one year later I decided to tackle to issue. Battery was completely dead so I replaced it, and also the crankshaft sensor. No spark or tach signal. checked injector pulse and got nothing. I checked the dme for water and or any other smoking guns and everything was clean, dry and unburnt. I checked the dme relay and found it was not triggering to on in start or run position.

I do have a remote start installed in the car which is the reason I think the ews is letting me crank the starter, but why no power to the dme? I can crank with the remote start and the ignition key but still no spark, tach, or injector pulse.

All the fuses are good, and the relay looks clean inside. Also, I believe the crank sensor was bad because it was somewhat swollen with oxidation around the base. I did check the impulse wheel on the crank to make sure it wasn't cracked, broken, or distorted. Any help with would be great and much appreciated.

xxxJohnBoyxxx 01-27-2016 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fluidvp (Post 378448)
So about a year ago my 97 318ti stalled on me while pulling into a drive. Tried to restart and it seemed to run then die, then every so often it would get a very random fire. So after towing back to the shop, i ran a scan on it and it cam back p0335. I had figured it was something ckp related since the tach needle would get a bounce every once in a while. So since i didn't need the car, I let it sit for a year.

Now one year later I decided to tackle to issue. Battery was completely dead so I replaced it, and also the crankshaft sensor. No spark or tach signal. checked injector pulse and got nothing. I checked the dme for water and or any other smoking guns and everything was clean, dry and unburnt. I checked the dme relay and found it was not triggering to on in start or run position.

I do have a remote start installed in the car which is the reason I think the ews is letting me crank the starter, but why no power to the dme? I can crank with the remote start and the ignition key but still no spark, tach, or injector pulse.

All the fuses are good, and the relay looks clean inside. Also, I believe the crank sensor was bad because it was somewhat swollen with oxidation around the base. I did check the impulse wheel on the crank to make sure it wasn't cracked, broken, or distorted. Any help with would be great and much appreciated.

Most likely a bad unloader relay. That relay supplies power to the DME when cranking

fluidvp 01-29-2016 08:07 PM

It was the unloader relay. Thanks for the heads up. Much appreciated. Now I get to clean the plugs again, and put some oil in the fuel washed cylinders and try to fire it.