318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Exterior (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   California Roof Wind Deflector Retrofit (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41715)

FunElan 08-03-2015 04:19 AM

California Roof Wind Deflector Retrofit

Hey guys,

I got a spare Cali top with a wind deflector recently - I want to take the wind deflector out and put it on my car. From what I recall, you could manually crank the top open with a hex wrench on the motor (between those two screws that open the motor up). This motor seems to have a threaded hole instead of a hex, or it's been stripped out completely. Anyone how to slide the roof open another way? I guess I could connect it to power...

When I do get it open, is removing the wind deflector a simple job? I'm hoping it doesn't involve too much custom work...

Thanks,
Matt

Trusted-1 08-03-2015 07:03 PM

There are two types of motors, one is threaded and the other hex as I recall.

You may be better to connect it to a battery and switch and operate it with the motor working.

We have done this with a top that was out of the car before.

You may also consider replacing the entire cartridge or at least confirm the mounting points for the deflector exist on your current assembly.

Good luck
Steve

FunElan 02-09-2016 03:32 AM

Resurrecting this thread...it's been a while since I've had time to do any work on the car, so recently I decided to verify that my parts roof had the deflector. Indeed it does have the deflector, however my car doesn't have any mounting points for it. I needed to open the extra roof up to see how it mounted, and now that I know, I think this will be too custom of a job for me to undertake. Will most likely sell this extra roof.

Toolmaker 02-09-2016 04:21 AM

How much ? I'm in Wichita Falls

Lino

Trusted-1 02-09-2016 06:06 AM

The one we found at the wrecking yard and sold, we shipped using Greyhound and it cost us about $100 to ship and we spent about $100 on wood to build a sturdy shipping box.

We dropped at a depot and the buyer picked up at the closest depot to them.

Toolmaker 02-09-2016 06:18 AM

For the right price, I would drive the 2 hours to Dallas to pick up.

Lino

Silverfox99 02-09-2016 06:52 AM

did you sell your extra california top?

BlackBMWs 02-10-2016 06:58 AM

Hey Matt, For what it's worth, I had a top shipped to me in a Flatscreen TV box. The top fit perfectly and the original packaging that held the screen held the top nicely.

I need to rebuild the last two tops I got, so it's always cool to have spare parts.

Has anyone refitted a deflector on their 96 Cali top to help Matt out?

My current top is broken, but seems to work just fine. Do you have a motor to sell?

Cheers! :cool:

Toolmaker 02-13-2016 01:22 AM

I bought the top. Anyone looking for a good working motor?

Lino